I cleaned my pc with a vacuum cleaner and I clearly regret it

So i was cleaning my old pc. I was thinking about cleaning it with a vacuum so I gave it a shot without researching that the vacuum creates static sh*t. After I "cleaned" it, the pc works but the monitor won't. So my question is, is it bad to clean your pc with a vacuum? If yes, can you repair the pc that I cleaned with a vacuum moments ago? (Sorry for bad english).

yes its bad, and the damage might or might not be repariable. you might have to replace something if it died from the esd

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Sinyxt3r said:

So my question is, is it bad to clean your pc with a vacuum? If yes, can you repair the pc that I cleaned with a vacuum moments ago? (Sorry for bad english).

Yes, MOSFETs are usually very sensitive to static electricity and vacuum cleaners generate rather high voltages of static electricity, which can sometimes break things. As for repairing: the answer is generally "no", unless you know how to locate and swap busted MOSFETs.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Because all the dust comes in at the hose, that movement will charge it tremendously. Like said above, thousands of Volts.
So if your vacuum cleaner can blow use that next time, less to go wrong.

And for repair, i think you're out of luck there and need a replacement.
But i would try changing video-cards first.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Dont panic first, I assume its a old mobo, Its very hard to damage components without physical impact.

usually plug / unplug rams , GPU , PSU solves the problem

40 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Dont panic first, I assume its a old mobo, Its very hard to damage components without physical impact.

usually plug / unplug rams , GPU , PSU solves the problem

All it takes is a little bit of static. There's a possibility that removing the parts and putting it back together will work, but most likely it's a damaged mosfet on the motherboard.

Edit: @Sinyxt3r I'm sorry that @dgsddfgdfhgs is acting so immaturely with the "laugh reacts", but I assure you that'd not how it normally is on this forum. I can also tell you that you definitely aren't the first person to make this mistake, so don't feel bad about it. Is there any chance the motherboard is still covered by warranty? What model is it?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

-snip-

I can also tell you that you definitely aren't the first person to make this mistake, so don't feel bad about it.

-snip-

Ive busted some motherboards and ram with that, and that was when i had about 20 years experience. So yeah it happens to EVERYBODY that takes the risk of opening up a system.

@Sinyxt3r

But if it was really static you're out of luck but you could definitely try re-seating the RAM and graphics cards and such. Might just be an alignment issue because of the cleaning.

6 hours ago, Sinyxt3r said:

After I "cleaned" it, the pc works but the monitor won't.

You can't kill a monitor by vacuum-cleaning a PC.

If the PC works, then using the vacuum cleaner had no consequences.

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Well in practice you might be completely right.
But lets be honest there is a theoretical chance the (if any) static could translate trough the signal wire.

And for some PC working but monitor doesn't means that the light on the PC turns on but the monitor doesn't. So could still be a graphics-card thing.
Just f.y.i. my 2 cents.

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Well in practice you might be completely right.
But lets be honest there is a theoretical chance the (if any) static could translate trough the signal wire.

You can kill components while vacuuming the insides if you manage to produce a large enough discharge directly into said component. To reach the monitor from there you would have to go through the GPU outlets, grounded to the case, which itself would be grounded. I don't see that happening.

I mean, I hope he wasn't using the vacuum cleaner with the PC case standing on a large plastic bag :P 

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

And for some PC working but monitor doesn't means that the light on the PC turns on but the monitor doesn't. So could still be a graphics-card thing.

If he mis-phrased his thoughts and actually meant "I have no video signal", then yes, that could be the case.

10 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'm fairly certain he means it will turn on but there's no signal. I suppose some clarity wouldn't hurt though.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

He wasn't saying he killed his monitor, he was saying the monitor isn't getting a signal, ie. the GPU is most likely dead.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

27 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

He wasn't saying he killed his monitor, he was saying the monitor isn't getting a signal, ie. the GPU is most likely dead.

No, that's not what he said, but it may as well be what he meant, yes.

if theres dust bunnys in there big enough where a vacuum cleaner would make sense then youre too late. it may sound stupid but i only clean the pc with an old toothbrush and maybe things like the cooler on a gpu with compressed air but thats it. im not saying do it wekly but you should never be able to look at it and think "man thats one thick dust carpet in there let me get the vacuum"

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

11 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

if theres dust bunnys in there big enough where a vacuum cleaner would make sense then youre too late. it may sound stupid but i only clean the pc with an old toothbrush and maybe things like the cooler on a gpu with compressed air but thats it. im not saying do it wekly but you should never be able to look at it and think "man thats one thick dust carpet in there let me get the vacuum"

I totaly agree, altho me being really lazy has teached me it 'can' handle it. 
I had it so thick once (but i do have cats) that i shaved 10°C of the CPU temp by just cleaning it. hahaha.

(Disclaimer dont try, and definatly dont blame me)

On 27/08/2018 at 8:37 AM, Sinyxt3r said:

So i was cleaning my old pc. I was thinking about cleaning it with a vacuum so I gave it a shot without researching that the vacuum creates static sh*t. After I "cleaned" it, the pc works but the monitor won't. So my question is, is it bad to clean your pc with a vacuum? If yes, can you repair the pc that I cleaned with a vacuum moments ago? (Sorry for bad english).

First I would do what others have suggested which is reseat the components, RAM, GPU, maybe even CPU Depending on Specs.

Also it would be helpful if you Post the Specs of your PC.

Also can you clarify a few things so that people here are not making assumptions.

1. Does the PC fully boot without any beeps and doesn't continuously restart.

2. Are you currently using a Dedicated GPU (Graphics Card) or integrated Graphics (e.g. Intel HD Graphics 630 or AMD) 

3. Does you monitor power up (have the LED lights on, or test your monitor with a different device or vice versa).

Then try the following:

1. Connect the monitor to a different device or connect your PC to a different monitor/TV.

2. Try a different cable to connect to the monitor.

3. If you are using Dedicated Graphics then try connecting to you integrated graphics if thats possible. (Not all CPU's have integrated Graphics)

On August 27, 2018 at 10:57 AM, cluelessgenius said:

you should never be able to look at it and think "man thats one thick dust carpet in there let me get the vacuum"

Umm, I think that all the time, not the vacuum part but the "that's a lot of dust!" Part. . .

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14