To those who say dont pre-order RTX

reptileexperts

Since its been allover reddit, and all over pretty much anything attached to GPU's right now, I will sum up this statement here for those who are concerned with pre-ordering before benchmarks are really out there. 

Best Case in Pre-order: 

You get your card on release, or near release, without having to worry about hyperinflation on eBay or lengthy delays due to limited availability for the next few months. 

Benchmarks are announced and the gains meet where you wanted it to be for your order in the first place

Worst Case in Pre-order

Benchmarks fail to hit even marginal gains, and show that 1080ti pricing drops to be the best value all around (using the term value loosely).

- 1) You can still cancel your preorder without being charged (in most cases - not if you used paypal or bought from EVGA that charge upon order - you'll have to wait for a refund)

- 2) Utilize the return process; I.e. buy from a source with a GREAT return policy - In my case I snagged a 2080ti on amazon before preorders sold out

- 3) Hype train profit - go to eBay and sell your boxed card after running your own testing to see if the value is worth it to you

People who are telling you pre-ordering is a crime is a joke. If you have the fluid of funds to hold out for a month with possible holds on your accounts, do it. You can still cancel / return when reviews hit. Because, when reviews go live, IF these cards live up to hype, you will have a much longer waiting period. If they fail to meet hype, cancel your pre-order and continue gaming with your current rig. 

There are benefits to pre-orders for those who can afford it. 

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

13 minutes ago, reptileexperts said:

People who are telling you pre-ordering is a crime is a joke.

Just wondering who said this?

And we also have to consider the situation where these pre-order people came from. If they're on like 4 year old GPUs and were itching to upgrade to a new system, they're going to get a substantial upgrade regardless. Being able to use RTX features is just icing on the cake.

I recently saw someone on my Twitter feed posting the hardware they bought recently and it included a Core i9. I'm just going "why?"  But in the end, it's their money they're spending. And I shouldn't really be upset with how people spend their money if it doesn't affect me somehow.

The whole deal for me with pre-ordering is how annoying the process has become.

Fuel fires with leaks.

Use embargoes as free advertising.

Force tech media into a hype/brainwash fest 

Use the fear of unavailability to create a shortage frenzy to keep demand sky high.

Release product that is good enough, but not so good that it'll mean not buying the next release.

Repeat.

As long as the circus continues, more and more shenanigans will be added. The unboxing embargo is the one that really showed who was in control.

TL;DR: Being against pre-ordering isn't really about the end product for me. It's about how it's being used for control.

What I see in your post:

"there are benefits to per-ordering"

what I read:

1. Contributing to the hyper-inflation on eBay

2. Getting a card on release.

One is a benefit for you, yes, if that's the type of person you want to be. The other, however, is a situation of the need to satiate instant gratification. If your rig is so outdated that the price you're paying for this new architecture/new card/new price tier is justifiable, I don't think bleeding edge updates are exactly a priority for you. Waiting a few more months to see if you haven't just vastly overpaid for marginal performance gains over a 10xx, which can currently be bought used for a really good price mind you, and/or a potential price adjustment if AMD upsets the market, is the largest benefit i'm seeing from any angle.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

go to eBay and sell your boxed card after running your own testing to see if the value is worth it to you

Its not boxed if you run tests yourself ...

14 hours ago, GeoffLucas said:

Just wondering who said this?

1 minute ago, JabroniBaloney said:

No one.

I think he is referring to the fact that the whole culture of pre-ordering has a very negative opinion in the industry. Gaming mostly but yeah, wherever you look you see people saying that pre-ordering is bad and you should be ashamed of yourself if you do so. Thus, a "crime" not in a literal legal sense but as a heavy afront to the gaming community.

Now, aside from that - guys, he is right. I know that we have just finished giving Tom's Hardware editor shit for that article but the truth right now is that there is no drawback to preordering new GPU's. Things to consider:

1. If you preorder now (assuming you even can), your GPU will be here around December/New Year.

2. Benchmarks will be up long before that

3. If you like the benchmarks and start trying to get the GPU AFTER them, chances are more people will like the benchmarks as well in which case have fun getting your GPU in, say, February/March 2019.

3. If you are worried about the message it sends to NVIDIA: mass preorder cancellation has the same - if not stronger - effect than simply not buying

So yeah, basically if you are looking to upgrade and have the money to freeze for a time being, preordering isn't a bad option. Worst case scenario you see benchmarks, don't like them, cancel the preorder and buy yourself a 1080ti. 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

If you live in UK you have the right to cancel 14 days from date of delivery regardless of which retailer you buy from - it's the law. Reviews and benchmarks will undoubtedly be out by then.

So I agree. I preordered but will cancel if benchmarks fail to impress.

Correct. Its not a crime in a legal sense. It's a crime against the community that people push, i.e. you're voting with your wallet encouraging poor behavior. However, as was stated here, mass canceling of pre orders will have an even greater effect making a stronger statement. 

16 hours ago, reptileexperts said:

- 1) You can still cancel your preorder without being charged (in most cases - not if you used paypal or bought from EVGA that charge upon order - you'll have to wait for a refund)

Depends greatly on the country the card is sold in. The majority of the consumers in many countries around the world don't have credit cards but debit cards, which are charged immediately.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Depends greatly on the country the card is sold in. The majority of the consumers in many countries around the world don't have credit cards but debit cards, which are charged immediately.

Yes, I have been charged for my 2080 Ti pre-order as I used debit card. I have no regrets though as I can cancel anytime and get a full refund if the benchmarks and reviews disappoint. I am lucky enough to have enough saved up over many years to be able to have this large amount of money on hold. Not everyone is so fortunate, obviously, but for those that do it's not really a problem as long as you live in a country that has robust consumer protection laws to ensure you can cancel the pre-order and return the item for a full refund.

People will pre-order regardless, as they are sold out, just don't be surprised if Turing falls way short of expectations.

Nvidia took their time to stockpile about 2million Turing cards before release, spiked prices from last gen, doesn't show comparable fps numbers.

They are betting on people to pre-order, they also like expect the card to fall short of expectations, they are also betting that the negativity from this money-grab gen will not affect future generation sales, which is also likely correct

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

I have no quarrels with fools. People will do what they have to while i watch them and laugh...

Bolivia.

Sure, Debit Cards and Paypal purchases will vary and likely charge you. Credit Cards / Accounts won't until the item is shipped. But, case and point being. When the benches come out, its too late to order but not too late to cancel. So you're in the better position without having to pay EA for that sweet higher ground. 

Generally I think it's better not to get new tech on release just incase there are bugs or other inconveniences associated with it.  The review embargo makes it even less assuring atm.  

Idk though, people with that $ to throw around will take that chance.

I had a little more money than sense. So I dropped a little over $1340 (after tax) on a EVGA Ultra gaming. I was charged during checkout of the pre-order though. That being said, i normally wait for a non-reference card, but I figure that the extra vrm's will be about as needed as they were for the 10xx series.

Just hoping waterblocks hit the market soon.