Comcast X1 Cable Box Questions

I have some questions about the X1 cable box / service from Comcast.

For those of you who have the X1, how do you like it? Please tell me of any issues you're having, or have had, with it.

Does the X1 system slow down your Internet on your other Internet connected devices, such as your desktop? 

Does it update frequently? If so, does it interrupt what you're watching?

And I know this may sound silly, but does the remote batteries die quickly? I've seen where a few others mentioned a problem with this happening.

I would love to see what you all have to say about this, and I really do appreciate your help.

Thanks

14 hours ago, Crosseyed Sniper said:

Does the X1 system slow down your Internet on your other Internet connected devices, such as your desktop? 

I dont have the system but I am a Comcast customer. Technically speaking these boxes to my understanding dont use the internet per say, at least not for delivering TV programming and on demand content. Also I have heard a lot of the new boxes have cable modem tech built in. As far as your internet is concerned the config file Comcast flashes to the modem is what determines the speed. In many area's like mine, I get 20% more speed then we pay for. I would assume that the boxes might connect to the Comcast gateway for internet connected items like Netlfix, in that case, yes it will eat some of the bandwidth. But the fact is you should be fine. 

My family doesn't have cable TV service. We are a streaming only house. Our 150 Mbps internet can handle the 3 of us streaming and stuff no issues at all. So unless your on the slowest speed tier your probably going to be fine. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 8/24/2018 at 7:34 AM, Crosseyed Sniper said:

For those of you who have the X1, how do you like it? Please tell me of any issues you're having, or have had, with it.

It takes awhile to get familiar with but overall it's much faster and never had any issues with it.

Only thing that uses bandwidth is if you add Netflix to the X1 boxes.

Does it update frequently? If so, does it interrupt what you're watching?

In 2 years I've never seen it update so guessing it's done during off hours. 

And I know this may sound silly, but does the remote batteries die quickly? I've seen where a few others mentioned a problem with this happening.

The remote has a sensor that turns on the backlight whenever it detects movement so that can drain the batteries faster.

• 2 weeks later...

It gets very hot, and is a slow box when it comes to the media stuff. If you’re running Netflix off of Comcast, well we have other issues to address. But it doesn’t slow down anything (from my experience) on the network. But like the guide, any of the dvr menus anything like that, is just not as responsive. I have an extra small box in the basement, and it is instant on the menus. The main x1 box isn’t as snappy but it is what it is. I’m overalls good with it. 

1 hour ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

It gets very hot, and is a slow box when it comes to the media stuff. If you’re running Netflix off of Comcast, well we have other issues to address. But it doesn’t slow down anything (from my experience) on the network. But like the guide, any of the dvr menus anything like that, is just not as responsive. I have an extra small box in the basement, and it is instant on the menus. The main x1 box isn’t as snappy but it is what it is. I’m overalls good with it. 

Thanks for the info. I may try it in the future.

Thanks everyone!

The X1 stuff is decent. I updated to the X4 before I killed off cable for the 4k support. The voice remote is nice and they do have the ability to stream netflix and the like now, but that data DOES count against your cap. It basically means the box can function as a modem when needed, which isn't a huge stretch for what it already does.

It does tend to update every month or so, but it does it generally when in a sleep state outside of when you are watching.

The batteries in the remote last about a year or so before needing to be changed.

Now truthfully while the box isn't bad, it is still a step in the wrong direction. These required cable boxes for 10-15 a month are pretty ridiculous especially if you have several tv's. This is just there way to trying to help justify that cost with the customers, when the truth is I would be just fine with a basic cable box and remote. They use to give those away for free to 2/month. Now that is a thing of the past and even using a cable card cost money now.

So they are nice compared to other boxes, but they are still a way for them to nickle and dime you to death and that penalty goes up drastically if you own several tv's.