Can You Explain GSync To Me?

Jogostar
Go to solution Solved by X1XNobleX1X,

Hello Folks!

So I really don't get what exactyl it does.

From my understanding it works like this:

If your game runs at 35 fps, your monitor refresh rate will change to 30hz.

Am I getting this right or what?

And what would be the use of this?

Thanks. :)

Quoted from Guru3D:

On Friday NVIDIA announced G-Sync, and considering the little details available out there I wanted to write a quick follow-up on this new technology, as it really is a big announcement -  a really big thing actually. In recent years we all have been driven by the knowledge that on a 60 Hz monitor you want 60 FPS rendered, this was for a reason, you want the two as close as possible to each other as that offers you not only the best gaming experience, but also the best visual experience. This is why framerate limiters are so popular, you sync each rendered frame in line with your monitor refresh rate. Obviously 9 out of 10 times that is not happening. This results into tow anomalies that everybody knows and experiences, stutter and tearing.

So what is happening ?

Very simply put, the graphics card is always firing of frames as fast as it can possibly do, that FPS this is dynamic and can bounce from say 30 to 80 FPS in an matter of split seconds. On the eye side of things, you have this hardware  which is the monitor, and it is a fixed device as it refreshes at 60 Hz (60Hz is example). Fixed and Dynamic are two different things and collide with each other. So on one end we have the graphics card rendering at a varying framerate while the monitor refreshes at 60 images per second.  That causes a problem as with a slower or faster FPS then 60 you'll get multiple images displayed on the screen per refresh of the monitor. So graphics cards don’t render at fixed speeds. In fact, their frame rates will vary dramatically even within a single scene of a single game, based on the instant load that the GPU sees. 

In the past we solved problems like Vsync stutter and Tearing basically in two ways. The first way is to simply ignore the refresh rate of the monitor altogether, and update the image being scanned to the display in mid cycle. This you guys all know and have learned as ‘VSync Off Mode’ it is the default way most gamers play.

The downside is that when a single refresh cycle show 2 images, a very obvious “tear line” is evident at the break, yup, we all refer to this as screen tearing. You can solve tearing though.

The solution to bypass tearing is to turn VSync on, here you will force the GPU to delay screen updates until the monitor cycles to the start of a new refresh cycle. That delay causes stutter whenever the GPU frame rate is below the display refresh rate. Iit also increases latency, which is the direct result for input lag, the visible delay between a button being pressed and the result occurring on-screen.

• Enabling VSYNC helps a lot, but with the video card firing off  all these images per refresh you can  typically see some pulsing (I don't wanna call it vsync stuttering) when that framerate varies and your you pan from left to right in your 3D scene. So that is not perfect.
  • Alternatively most people disable VSYNC - but that runs into a problem as well, multiple images per refreshed Hz will result into the phenomenon that is screen tearing, which we all hate.

Basically this is why we all want extremely fast graphics cards as most of you guys want to enable VSYNC and have a graphics card that runs faster then 60 FPS.

What is the solve ?

Nvidia is releasing G-Sync. Now as I explained the graphics card is running dynamic Hz, the monitor is static Hz, these two don't really match together. G-Sync is both a software and a hardware solution that will solve screen tearing and stuttering. A daughter hardware board (it actually looks a little like a mobile MXM module) is placed into a G-Sync enabled monitor which will do something very interesting. With G-Sync the monitor will become a slave to your graphics card as the its refresh rate in Hz becomes dynamic. Yes, it is no longer static. So each time your graphics card has rendered one frame that frame is aligned up with the monitor refresh rate. So the refresh rate of the monitor will become dynamic. With both the graphics card and monitor both dynamically in sync with each other you have eliminated stutter and screen tearing completely.

It gets even better, without stutter and screen tearing on an nice IPS LCD panel even at 30+ Hz you'd be having an incredibly good gaming experience (visually). BTW monitors upto 177 hz will get supported with Gsync as well as 4K monitors.

Summed up :  NVIDIA G-SYNC is a solution that pretty much eliminates screen tearing, VSync input lag, and stutter. You need a G-SYNC module into monitors, allowing G-SYNC to synchronize the monitor to the output of the GPU, instead of the GPU to the monitor, resulting in a tear-free, faster, smoother experience.

Hello Folks!

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Here is the Nvidia marketing speak,

NVIDIA G-SYNC is groundbreaking new display technology that delivers the smoothest and fastest gaming experience ever. G-SYNC’s revolutionary performance is achieved by synchronizing display refresh rates to the GPU in your GeForce GTX-powered PC, eliminating screen tearing and minimizing display stutter and input lag. The result: scenes appear instantly, objects look sharper, and gameplay is super smooth, giving you a stunning visual experience and a serious competitive edge.

So yeah what you said :)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Hello Folks!

Quoted from Guru3D:

On Friday NVIDIA announced G-Sync, and considering the little details available out there I wanted to write a quick follow-up on this new technology, as it really is a big announcement -  a really big thing actually. In recent years we all have been driven by the knowledge that on a 60 Hz monitor you want 60 FPS rendered, this was for a reason, you want the two as close as possible to each other as that offers you not only the best gaming experience, but also the best visual experience. This is why framerate limiters are so popular, you sync each rendered frame in line with your monitor refresh rate. Obviously 9 out of 10 times that is not happening. This results into tow anomalies that everybody knows and experiences, stutter and tearing.

So what is happening ?

Very simply put, the graphics card is always firing of frames as fast as it can possibly do, that FPS this is dynamic and can bounce from say 30 to 80 FPS in an matter of split seconds. On the eye side of things, you have this hardware  which is the monitor, and it is a fixed device as it refreshes at 60 Hz (60Hz is example). Fixed and Dynamic are two different things and collide with each other. So on one end we have the graphics card rendering at a varying framerate while the monitor refreshes at 60 images per second.  That causes a problem as with a slower or faster FPS then 60 you'll get multiple images displayed on the screen per refresh of the monitor. So graphics cards don’t render at fixed speeds. In fact, their frame rates will vary dramatically even within a single scene of a single game, based on the instant load that the GPU sees. 

In the past we solved problems like Vsync stutter and Tearing basically in two ways. The first way is to simply ignore the refresh rate of the monitor altogether, and update the image being scanned to the display in mid cycle. This you guys all know and have learned as ‘VSync Off Mode’ it is the default way most gamers play.

The downside is that when a single refresh cycle show 2 images, a very obvious “tear line” is evident at the break, yup, we all refer to this as screen tearing. You can solve tearing though.

The solution to bypass tearing is to turn VSync on, here you will force the GPU to delay screen updates until the monitor cycles to the start of a new refresh cycle. That delay causes stutter whenever the GPU frame rate is below the display refresh rate. Iit also increases latency, which is the direct result for input lag, the visible delay between a button being pressed and the result occurring on-screen.

• Enabling VSYNC helps a lot, but with the video card firing off  all these images per refresh you can  typically see some pulsing (I don't wanna call it vsync stuttering) when that framerate varies and your you pan from left to right in your 3D scene. So that is not perfect.
  • Alternatively most people disable VSYNC - but that runs into a problem as well, multiple images per refreshed Hz will result into the phenomenon that is screen tearing, which we all hate.

Basically this is why we all want extremely fast graphics cards as most of you guys want to enable VSYNC and have a graphics card that runs faster then 60 FPS.

What is the solve ?

Nvidia is releasing G-Sync. Now as I explained the graphics card is running dynamic Hz, the monitor is static Hz, these two don't really match together. G-Sync is both a software and a hardware solution that will solve screen tearing and stuttering. A daughter hardware board (it actually looks a little like a mobile MXM module) is placed into a G-Sync enabled monitor which will do something very interesting. With G-Sync the monitor will become a slave to your graphics card as the its refresh rate in Hz becomes dynamic. Yes, it is no longer static. So each time your graphics card has rendered one frame that frame is aligned up with the monitor refresh rate. So the refresh rate of the monitor will become dynamic. With both the graphics card and monitor both dynamically in sync with each other you have eliminated stutter and screen tearing completely.

It gets even better, without stutter and screen tearing on an nice IPS LCD panel even at 30+ Hz you'd be having an incredibly good gaming experience (visually). BTW monitors upto 177 hz will get supported with Gsync as well as 4K monitors.

Summed up :  NVIDIA G-SYNC is a solution that pretty much eliminates screen tearing, VSync input lag, and stutter. You need a G-SYNC module into monitors, allowing G-SYNC to synchronize the monitor to the output of the GPU, instead of the GPU to the monitor, resulting in a tear-free, faster, smoother experience.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Here is the Nvidia marketing speak,

NVIDIA G-SYNC is groundbreaking new display technology that delivers the smoothest and fastest gaming experience ever. G-SYNC’s revolutionary performance is achieved by synchronizing display refresh rates to the GPU in your GeForce GTX-powered PC, eliminating screen tearing and minimizing display stutter and input lag. The result: scenes appear instantly, objects look sharper, and gameplay is super smooth, giving you a stunning visual experience and a serious competitive edge.

So yeah what you said :)

but i still don't get the useage of this.

30 fps is choppy no matter what your refresh rate is. 

but i still don't get the useage of this.

30 fps is choppy no matter what your refresh rate is. 

Well i believe that's only because with a 60Hz monitor. there are times at 30FPS where you have to display frames twice so causing tearing... But if you changed the refresh on the fly to 30hz with 30fps each frame would only be shown once. Thus eliminating tearing you see.

Its not that bigger deal IMO, 30 fps yes will still look bad as its 30fps but consoles get along fine with that :P. Also all G-sync does it stop tearing it doesn't perform miracles to make a rubbishy running game looks amazing.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

*long text*

it really sounds useless to me, maybe I don't get the pooint behind it, but to me it sound useless.

Well i believe that's only because with a 60Hz monitor. there are times at 30FPS where you have to display frames twice so causing tearing... But if you changed the refresh on the fly to 30hz with 30fps each frame would only be shown once. Thus eliminating tearing you see.

oh so teraing occurs even when the fps is lower then your refresh rate on your moniotr?

it really sounds useless to me, maybe I don't get the pooint behind it, but to me it sound useless.

Sorry, G-sync may not be for me, or you. In my opinion it's a waste of money due to me being used to tearing. I don't think fixing minor tearing is worth $1300 if I did buy three monitors with G-Sync.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Sorry, G-sync may not be for me, or you. In my opinion it's a waste of money due to me being used to tearing. I don't think fixing minor tearing is worth $1300.

why 1300$? 

why 1300$? 

Sorry, I edited my post.

I run three monitors, which means I would have to purchase three new monitors worth around $1300. 

It's just another gimmick for display manufacturers to sell you more crappy 1080p TN panels at stupidly inflated prices. It is physically impossible to have a better gaming experience on a crappy 1080p TN panel compared to a 1440P high quality IPS panel.

It kinda is for people with GPUs that can't run something past 60 Hz imo. It's for the people with the GPUs and settings that get over 60 Hz, because they are the ones that experience screen tearing.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It pretty much reduces input lag and eliminated tearing at any fps. There.

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

It's just another gimmick for display manufacturers to sell you more crappy 1080p TN panels at stupidly inflated prices. It is physically impossible to have a better gaming experience on a crappy 1080p TN panel compared to a 1440P high quality IPS panel.

You do realize they could put this on a 1440p IPS screen, but none of them are "gaming" monitors

CM Storm Trooper| Asua Maximum VII Formula| 4770k H100i|Kingston Beast 32GB|Samsung Evo 250GB SSD|Seagate 3TB|EVGA Kingpin Edition 780 Ti(SLI)|Sound Blaster Z|Corsair 1200i

Samsung U28D590D | Corsair K70 | Razer Naga Hex | Kingston Hyper X Gaming Headset

The way I understand it is this (not sure if this is correct or not): 

If you have a 60 hz monitor, it will display 60 FPS regardless of what your GPU is outputting. If your GPU is outputting a constant 60 FPS with V-sync, this is fine. However, if your GPU outputs 45 FPS, your monitor cannot and will not display 45 FPS..

When you run at 45 FPS on a 60 hz panel, your GPU renders 3 frames for every 4 frames that your monitor displays. What does your monitor do to fill in for the missing frame? With V-sync on, your monitor will be forced to hold onto one of the frames for an extra refresh cycle to fill in for the missing frame. Since that frame is getting held on the screen for two 60hz refresh cycles, that individual frame is essentially displayed at 30 FPS while the other two are displayed at essentially 60 FPS.. The result is this: when your GPU outputs 45 FPS, you see two frames at 60 FPS, one frame @30, two frames @60r15, one frame @30, two frames @60r15, and so on... Throw in the fact that your GPU will most likely be varying frametimes a lot, and this problem gets worse.

G-sync fixes this. If you run at 45 FPS on a G-sync panel, you will see a "true" 45 FPS. This means that you will see one frame every 45th of a second, instead of bouncing between 30 and 60...

Edit: I hope this is both correct and easy to understand.. I apologize if it is neither.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Lol same.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

I think a lot of people are thinking that it just gets rid of tearing, but it's not only that. If you're running a game at 75FPS on a 60Hz monitor, then V-Sync will pretty much fix tearing for you and you don't have to worry.

The end result of what G-Sync does is much smother gameplay, regardless of your FPS. It won't make 25FPS look good, but it will make it so that you won't notice drops from 60FPS to lower FPS so much. You will likely see more of a difference if you're getting around 60FPS but dropping below it often as it will get rid of both tearing when above your monitor's refresh rate and stuttering and lagging when below it. 

Really, it's best to ask someone who's seen it for themselves. I believe Linus talked about it in the WAN show, and Slick agreed with him after trying it for himself after being sceptical about it.