Laptop SSDs Get hot?

K i a r a

Hey, 

I just installed a New NVME ssd into my laptop - Due to it being much cheaper then if i were to get it pre installed by Lenovo - The install went fine, and had no issues.

But after using the laptop for about an hour now the SSD seems to be quite hot...

I have had this heat issue before the SSD install It gets hot right to the left of the Arrow keys, But I cant tell if it is the Battery or the HD location while the rest of the laptop is warm, This location is quite abit hotter.

I dont really have anything on the laptop to.. I have Windows on the SSD + Microsoft office.

And pretty much nothing on the HD.

image.png.84ce0e794b3c522cf8c69c9bf7da7fbb.png

Hard Drive on the top.

SSD on the bottom.

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

2 minutes ago, K i a r a said:

-SNIP-

NVME SSD's can get warm if they're under load for an extended period of time, that's warm but some can get up to 75C at load. If you have the room you can squeeze in a low profile heatsink but since it's inside of a laptop it may not help much. 

If you do put a heatsink on it, remember to only put it on the controller. The actual NAND benefits from higher temperatures (within reason).

14 minutes ago, W-L said:

NVME SSD's can get warm if they're under load for an extended period of time, that's warm but some can get up to 75C at load. If you have the room you can squeeze in a low profile heatsink but since it's inside of a laptop it may not help much. 

10 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

If you do put a heatsink on it, remember to only put it on the controller. The actual NAND benefits from higher temperatures (within reason).

I dont plan on doing that tbh .-. 

Idk I was told this SSD has like a heatsink thingy on it.. And was told this was a good choice to buy.

Should I try and return it?

I think they only do exchanges. 

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

M y  R e v i e w s 

More Coming Soon...

eh I don think that's really bad. No airflow, 67, I've seen worse. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

11 minutes ago, K i a r a said:

I dont plan on doing that tbh .-. 

Idk I was told this SSD has like a heatsink thingy on it.. And was told this was a good choice to buy.

Should I try and return it?

I think they only do exchanges. 

It has a very minimum heatsink plate on it which does help, and I wouldn't say there is any worry. 

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

It has a very minimum heatsink plate on it which does help, and I wouldn't say there is any worry. 

So what do you think I should do?

That location, Like I said, I dont know what is casuing it, If it is the Battery, or the 7200 HD - I kinda dont think it is the hard drive, Due to the fact that the temps say they are in the low 30s.

But it is quite annoying because I thought the SSD would make this heat go away, But It has not.. Due to it not being the Hard Drive... But its right where your right palm would rest getting quite warm.

M Y  S T U F F

M y  R e v i e w s 

More Coming Soon...

12 minutes ago, K i a r a said:

So what do you think I should do?

That location, Like I said, I dont know what is casuing it, If it is the Battery, or the 7200 HD - I kinda dont think it is the hard drive, Due to the fact that the temps say they are in the low 30s.

But it is quite annoying because I thought the SSD would make this heat go away, But It has not.. Due to it not being the Hard Drive... But its right where your right palm would rest getting quite warm.

For the drive itself it's not an issue, but in terms of heating up the laptop there isn't much you can do unless you want to get something like a sata based M.2 SSD. If there is little to no airflow through there then anything that gets installed will warm up under load it just depends to what degree.