Flash drive for games - need advice

lsstefan

Greetings.

I own a laptop that I use to play on at work. Sadly, the laptop is 7 years old and works like crap. At work I have a very good PC that I can't install games on (secrets...bah). So I was thinking of using a flash drive (3.1 Gen 2?) to bring my games to work, thus spending 40$ instead of 500$ for a better laptop. I read that most games create registry files when installed on the PC, so plugging them into another one might not work. I play only World of Warcraft, which I read that doesn't create anything. I have experience with DotA (Warcraft 3) that was playable only by copy paste. I don't own a stick 64+ to test this, so maybe someone here can shed some light.

I also need some examples of good flash drives to buy. The game is 50gb+, so I assume a 64 is cutting too close. I also read people complaining some get very hot when used over a long period of time. Considering the game will run between 4 to 12 hours, I need something that won't damage the stick due to the long uptime.

I found Patriot Supersonic Rage 2 as a good example because of the transfer speed, though maybe the speed is not such a huge deal after the game loaded at start. 

What's your take on this?

nb: I don't care if the game appears in logs at work, nor if it installs files. I just can't install stuff because recently they put a password for that.

Thanks 

MSI Z270 SLI PLUS - 7600k 5.1GHz - Corsair LPX 3000MHz - G1 Gaming GTX1060 - Arctic LiquidFreezer 240 - Crucial m.2 275GB - WD 1TB - EVGA B3 750W - Segotep Lux - LG 34UC79 Curved - Redragon Yama - Redragon Hydra - Gigabyte WIFI 

Sound is provided by a Pioneer Amp from the 70s - if it's not broken, don't fix it.

3 minutes ago, lsstefan said:

Greetings.

I own a laptop that I use to play on at work. Sadly, the laptop is 7 years old and works like crap. At work I have a very good PC that I can't install games on (secrets...bah). So I was thinking of using an external hdd to bring my games to work, thus spending 40$ instead of 500$ for a better laptop. I read that most games create registry files when installed on the PC, so plugging them into another one might not work. I play only World of Warcraft, which I read that doesn't create anything. I have experience with DotA (Warcraft 3) that was playable only by copy paste. I don't own a stick 64+ to test this, so maybe someone here can shed some light.

I also need some examples of good flash drives to buy. The game is 50gb+, so I assume a 64 is cutting too close. I also read people complaining some get very hot when used over a long period of time. Considering the game will run between 4 to 12 hours, I need something that won't catch fire.

I found Patriot Supersonic Rage 2 as a good example because of the transfer speed, though maybe the speed is not such a huge deal after the game loaded at start. 

What's your take on this?

nb: I don't care if the game appears in logs at work, nor if it installs files. I just can't install stuff because recently they put a password for that.

Thanks 

Corsair 128gb  Survivor Series is real nice

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Just now, Br3tt96 said:

Corsair 128gb  Survivor Series is real nice

Yeah my GF has that from work and is very happy with it, but I think it's 3.0, not 3.1, correct?

MSI Z270 SLI PLUS - 7600k 5.1GHz - Corsair LPX 3000MHz - G1 Gaming GTX1060 - Arctic LiquidFreezer 240 - Crucial m.2 275GB - WD 1TB - EVGA B3 750W - Segotep Lux - LG 34UC79 Curved - Redragon Yama - Redragon Hydra - Gigabyte WIFI 

Sound is provided by a Pioneer Amp from the 70s - if it's not broken, don't fix it.

1 minute ago, lsstefan said:

Yeah my GF has that from work and is very happy with it, but I think it's 3.0, not 3.1, correct?

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

5 minutes ago, lsstefan said:

I also read people complaining some get very hot when used over a long period of time. Considering the game will run between 4 to 12 hours, I need something that won't catch fire.

Getting hot and catching fire are two different things, and what one thinks is hot is relative. It's not really anything out of ordinary for certain SSDs to go all the way up to 60 degrees Celsius, even. In my laptop, the SSD typically goes to around 50C when it's been actively doing work for a longer period of time, and it's still perfectly healthy.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, lsstefan said:

USB 3.1 Gen 1 == USB 3.0. They are literally the same thing. USB 3.1 Gen 2 is faster.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, lsstefan said:

Use one of the M.2 to USB solutions, install a portable version of linux on it, or install windows to the external drive on that PC. Or linus recently showed off that mobile windows 10 OS thing

Or just buy a better laptop with like a 940M for maybe $300 depending on sales .

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

17 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Getting hot and catching fire are two different things, and what one thinks is hot is relative. It's not really anything out of ordinary for certain SSDs to go all the way up to 60 degrees Celsius, even. In my laptop, the SSD typically goes to around 50C when it's been actively doing work for a longer period of time, and it's still perfectly healthy.

I meant to not damage the internals due to heat, I wasn't thinking of literal fire.

16 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

USB 3.1 Gen 1 == USB 3.0. They are literally the same thing. USB 3.1 Gen 2 is faster.

Yes, I was referring to Gen 2. I am thinking of getting that since it's more future oriented. 

16 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Use one of the M.2 to USB solutions, install a portable version of linux on it, or install windows to the external drive on that PC. Or linus recently showed off that mobile windows 10 OS thing

Or just buy a better laptop with like a 940M for maybe $300 depending on sales .

I'll look into what you said, but sounds kinda overkill. Regardless of how much a laptop will cost, I won't use it that much since I mainly play at home. This was just a workaround because my current laptop is a bit old, but I still use it if needed.