Is any of my PSUs sufficient for the Sapphire r9 390?

Settlerteo

Hi, this is my first original post on the forum, so please correct me if i posted on the wrong place or if i did anything wrong at all.
So i want to buy a Sapphire r9 390 and i have two PSUs on my desk available. Coolermaster GX 650 and Zalman ZM600-HP.
The card recommends 750 watt PSUs but i am pretty sure it plays well with a 500 watt platinum psu so please DO NOT tell me you need a 750 watt psu.
My question is: Can any or both of my 80 plus bronze PSUs support the card depending on their rails output? 

P.S.  The CPU is an amd phenom II x4 965 wich needs 125 watt on full load.

Thank you

Neither are remotely quality, get a nice 550w from Tier 2 or above in the tier list linked below

(And not the EVGA G3)

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Neither are remotely quality, get a nice 550w from Tier 2 or above in the tier list linked below

(And not the EVGA G3)

First of all thank you for your answer. Now I know they are not great quality but i want to know if they can manage even if it is a bit risky.

The R9 390 is a pretty power hungry card. You should be right with a good quality 550W.

I wouldn't use either the CoolerMaster GX or Zalman. The Zalman also only has 1x6+2pin + 1x6pin PCIe power connectors, while the Sapphire R9 390 specs list it as having 2x 8pin connectors. This means even if you wanted to you wouldn't be able to use the Zalman.

Have you overclocked the CPU at all? Do you plan to? There's a high likely hood your CPU will bottleneck the card to some degree.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Settlerteo said:

First of all thank you for your answer. Now I know they are not great quality but i want to know if they can manage even if it is a bit risky.

I believe both are group regulated, so I wouldn't risk it, in case they go out of spec.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Most systems use around 300-450ish max unrealistic load. That 750w recommendation is seriously exaggerated lol

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The R9 390 is a pretty power hungry card. You should be right with a good quality 550W.

I wouldn't use either the CoolerMaster GX or Zalman. The Zalman also only has 1x6+2pin + 1x6pin PCIe power connectors, while the Sapphire R9 390 specs list it as having 2x 8pin connectors. This means even if you wanted to you wouldn't be able to use the Zalman.

Have you overclocked the CPU at all? Do you plan to? There's a high likely hood your CPU will bottleneck the card to some degree.

The card needs 275 watts at full load. The CPU runs on stock speeds right now. I am not planning to overclock it again. I was thinking of going for the card and then in about two months put the card in a whole new system i am going to build and swap back the cards i currently use(2 x radeon HD6950 with unlocked shaders). So the card won't stay long. Also have in mind that the two 6950 i currently use draw about 250 watts each on full load from the coolermaster gx650. Last but not least i was thinking of using a 6pin to 8pin adapter for the zalman, Again thank you for your answer. You all being really helpful.

10 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

I believe both are group regulated, so I wouldn't risk it, in case they go out of spec.

You are totally right on that. Something i didn't mention in the beginning and i just answered to the other member is that i plan on using the card for 2 months and then put it in a new system i am going to build. So my 2 also power hungry 6950 are going back on the coolermaster.

Just now, Settlerteo said:

You are totally right on that. Something i didn't mention in the beginning and i just answered to the other member is that i plan on using the card for 2 months and then put it in a new system i am going to build. So my 2 also power hungry 6950 are going back on the coolermaster.

I wouldn't recommend that either, at all...

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

1 minute ago, LienusLateTips said:

I wouldn't recommend that either, at all...

There is a chance one of them being sold as there won't be any benefit at all from the crossfire when i stop playing games on this desktop and only use it for programming. Until now, though, they go very well, never had a problem but also never see them work on full load even on gaming.

20 minutes ago, Spotty said:

19 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

One more thing i just read. Each of my 6950s draw about 125 watts on idle and about 250 on full load whereas the r9 390 draws up to 380 watts on full load.
P.S Might just go for a gtx 980 perhaps... :P 

3 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

One more thing i just read. Each of my 6950s draw about 125 watts on idle and about 250 on full load whereas the r9 390 draws up to 380 watts on full load.
P.S Might just go for a gtx 980 perhaps... :P 

A GTX 980 will have slightly better performance and use significantly less power than the R9 390. Definitely the better choice if cost isn't too much of a factor.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

A GTX 980 will have slightly better performance and use significantly less power than the R9 390. Definitely the better choice if cost isn't too much of a factor.

The price is pretty close on ebay so i am thinking of that. Another option is the r9 380 which is cheaper, fits my current setup with either of the PSUs but will only last about a year for 1080p all high above 30 fps on 3AAA titles. 

2 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

Hi, this is my first original post on the forum, so please correct me if i posted on the wrong place or if i did anything wrong at all.
So i want to buy a Sapphire r9 390 and i have two PSUs on my desk available. Coolermaster GX 650 and Zalman ZM600-HP.
The card recommends 750 watt PSUs but i am pretty sure it plays well with a 500 watt platinum psu so please DO NOT tell me you need a 750 watt psu.
My question is: Can any or both of my 80 plus bronze PSUs support the card depending on their rails output? 

Thank you

A power hungry card needs more than any other a good psu, with gpu price now stable , you need to have a good deal on that r9, now 570 8gb and 580 8gb are less than 300$ 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

8 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

Thank you

Neither of those really outdated unit should be powering a 390. That's a 300W card. I would not mess around with it.

A  550W Corsair TXM, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, Bitfenix Whisper/Formula Gold, EVGA GQ 650W, EVGA G2/G3 550W, etc, would be fine.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

15 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Neither of those really outdated unit should be powering a 390. That's a 300W card. I would not mess around with it.

A  550W Corsair TXM, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, Bitfenix Whisper/Formula Gold, EVGA GQ 650W, EVGA G2/G3 550W, etc, would be fine.

I am going for a seasonic prime 850 for my new system. My question was if i should take the risk and pair the card with any of the mentioned PSUs for the next two  months.

7 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

I am going for a seasonic prime 850 for my new system. My question was if i should take the risk and pair the card with any of the mentioned PSUs for the next two  months.

You don't need an 850W unit, don't bother with that. For a 390, a 550W-650W unit is plenty, even with tons of OC.

You can run the card on the CM GX unit for awhile, sure.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

15 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

You don't need an 850W unit, don't bother with that. For a 390, a 550W-650W unit is plenty, even with tons of OC.

You can run the card on the CM GX unit for awhile, sure.

**For my new upcoming system, i am totally going to need a 850 watt psu.
Anyway post is resolved. the 390 will be okay with my PSUs as my phenom will bottleneck it and it will never go full load so it will be safe enough for the two-months period it will stay there. 

9 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

**For my new upcoming system, i am totally going to need a 850 watt psu.

No, you really aren't. Unless you plan on putting two 390s in your system, a 550W unit would be plenty for that system.

On 8/10/2018 at 11:54 AM, OrionFOTL said:

What monsters are you going to put in your upcoming system that you'd need 850W?

image.thumb.png.6753d36c5f698e59ffcbe7156e6cd2c3.pngimage.thumb.png.2546d324d56344ea6bf372d24e16b9d1.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_6950_Vortex_II/25.html

I will see to that but i think the chart is totally wrong. Thank you though. Now for the 850 unit "go big or go home" they say :P @STRMfrmXMN . It's going to be a gaming-production rig and it's going to have two cards from both amd and nvidia. One for gaming and cuda cores for production. 

On 8.8.2018 at 9:21 AM, Settlerteo said:

Those are both pretty crappy or ancient PSU.

The ZM600-HP is around 10 Years, is it not?
And the GX-650 isn't much younger...

On 8.8.2018 at 9:21 AM, Settlerteo said:

Wrong.

It is specified to be in the 125W TDP range wich means that the heatsink you put on the CPU should be able to cool that. And the VRMs of course be able to deliver the current for that.

That's what it says.

The real Consumption is somewhere between 0 and 125W under full load. Well, in this case its safe to assume that its over 95W but under 125W....

But anyway, since there are some SSE Extensions missing, you won't be able to play every game that is out today. Some work, many do not.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

Those are both pretty crappy or ancient PSU.

The ZM600-HP is around 10 Years, is it not?
And the GX-650 isn't much younger...

Wrong.

It is specified to be in the 125W TDP range wich means that the heatsink you put on the CPU should be able to cool that. And the VRMs of course be able to deliver the current for that.

That's what it says.

The real Consumption is somewhere between 0 and 125W under full load. Well, in this case its safe to assume that its over 95W but under 125W....

But anyway, since there are some SSE Extensions missing, you won't be able to play every game that is out today. Some work, many do not.

Yup they are pretty ancient but i keep them in good condition and they haven't lost any of their efficiency. You're right the cpu draws an average of 100 watts and for the games the only one i had problem with was wwe 2k18 which there is also a way of hacking(meaning getting it to run) into it. Other newer games run pretty well with my phenom "beast-was". 

17 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

Yup they are pretty ancient but i keep them in good condition and they haven't lost any of their efficiency.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Because capacitors are aging chemically as well as one of their main component is chemical. So even if you do not use them, they age and might as well die.

And with age they don't get better because things change. Like the Power Saving Mechanisms.

So you should get rid of both PSU and buy one decent one as both are pretty shit.

As they are both ancient, group regulated, entry level units wich barely are inside the ATX Specification...

17 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

Other newer games run pretty well with my phenom "beast-was". 

And other newer games don't run at all because they need SSE4.2 wich the Phenom does not have and thus don't start or crash on start...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

23 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

I will see to that but i think the chart is totally wrong. Thank you though. Now for the 850 unit "go big or go home" they say :P @STRMfrmXMN . It's going to be a gaming-production rig and it's going to have two cards from both amd and nvidia. One for gaming and cuda cores for production. 

It's from a major tech reviewer, that's trusted by most. I think it's your job to prove that's it's wrong and not the other way around.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop