Should I unplug my PC when it's storming?

Adorable Cat

There's a bunch of lightning going on outside right now, and I just wonder if I should turn off and unplug my computer to avoid damage? It's plugged into an 800v surge protector.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Just now, Sayori said:

There's a bunch of lightning going on outside right now, and I just wonder if I should turn off and unplug my computer to avoid damage? It's plugged into an 800v surge protector.

I power off my server during heavy storms.  Mostly because i put 18 months of work into digitizing my movie library and really really really dont want a storm fucking that shit up.

that said, your PSU and whatever surge protector should keep you well protected.  but, if you are worried about a power outage, better safe than sorry.  turn it off.  you dont really need to unplug it.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

When I see a really big thunderstorm outside... I totally unplug my computer.
I know that it doesn't really matter because our powergrid here in my city is in a relatively good state, with a good chunk of it being underground, not to mention that most lightning bolts will hit one of the many lightning rods atop the buildings before hitting a power transformer outside...

But there's just this instinctive fear that "if it all goes wrong", I'd rather be safe than sorry.

So really, you do you. If you want to unplug it, unplug it. If your area is known for its power outage (mine isn't, we get like... 1 every couple years), then it might be a good idea to just do so. Especially if the grounding of your home is bad.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I'm glad it's not just me! One flash in the sky and I begin shutting everything down and disconnecting it xD

If I lost a disk or some other hardware it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be very annoying indeed.

Yes

Also unplug the Ethernet cable

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Alright thx

(even though it's all over now)

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

7 minutes ago, Sayori said:

Alright thx

(even though it's all over now)

Most surge protectors and UPS units which offer surge protection will warranty that if you're plugged in devices are damaged they will pay up to a certain dollar limit to have them replaced. I personally have this protection so I keep everything plugged in and powered even in storms and other similar events. Although it is true that some surges will be able to overcome the surge protector and cause damage to connected devices (especially a potential issue if they are not protected by the manufacturer of the UPS or surge protection device). If it is not warrantied against damage of connected devices then I would definitely recommend powering off and disconnecting your connected electronics as some surges have the potential to damage your devices if they are plugged in although off. The best overall protection would be to be warrentied against surges to the appropriate amount (depending on the value of the devices you are going to plug in and have protected by the surge protection unit.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Old Wive's tale (false) says lightning never strikes twice. In my opinion, even once is far too many. I have mobile devices if I need to do computing during a storm anyway.

4 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Most surge protectors and UPS units which offer surge protection will warranty that if you're plugged in devices are damaged they will pay up to a certain dollar limit to have them replaced. I personally have this protection so I keep everything plugged in and powered even in storms and other similar events. Although it is true that some surges will be able to overcome the surge protector and cause damage to connected devices (especially a potential issue if they are not protected by the manufacturer of the UPS or surge protection device). If it is not warrantied against damage of connected devices then I would definitely recommend powering off and disconnecting your connected electronics as some surges have the potential to damage your devices if they are plugged in although off. The best overall protection would be to be warrentied against surges to the appropriate amount (depending on the value of the devices you are going to plug in and have protected by the surge protection unit.

I doubt warranty covers data loss. Even if warrantied, unplugging would be a wise idea.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I don't and I have never lost any electronics at all.

Now there is a surge protector in the fuse box spesifically to stop it tho, but even before that I did not unplug anything.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

It can be worth while.

There is an ongoing thread on the virgin media forums currently (UK broadband provider) where a guy had a bunch of his equipment destroyed by a lightning strike that hit a house in the next street.

Apparently lightning hit that house the surge travelled down the coax cable destroyed the junction box at the end of the street and went back out down any attached coax cables destroying the tivo boxes (and anything connected to it or the tv it was connected to) of about 12 houses, it even started a fire in one house.

Lightning is some scary ass crap and pretty much nothing bar being unplugged is going to protect you.

The thread if people are interested

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Lightning-everything-blown-up-virgin-washes-their-hands/td-p/3756336

Once had a dead router during a storm. Now I'm using a media converter and optical cables. A fried converter is cheaper than a router.

Surge protection in USVs (Class D) alone doesn't help at all. There should be also class B and C surge suppressors on the breaker panel.

Get yourself a UPS.  You can plug your Ethernet and your PC right into it. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Once I had the headphones on and a lighting striked close and I heard the voltage? on my headphones and a flash between my eyes since then I shit my pants when I game with a storm xD 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

If lighting is striking the ground and it's a serious storm then yeah turn of your pc unless you have back up generators otherwise let it operate as need be.

11 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I doubt warranty covers data loss. Even if warrantied, unplugging would be a wise idea.

4 hours ago, nekogod said:

pretty much nothing bar being unplugged is going to protect you

protection units will pay for data recovery if your hard drive/s are damaged by a surge when plugged in. Although if you are not sure about the protection for your devices call or email, or research the manufacturer about their product which you are using (turn off your connected devices first and plug out if you are doing this when there seems to be a significant storm outside). Some surge protectors would not be able to protect against a large surge although some have very high effectivity although mostly nothing is fully protected and guaranteed to protect, that is why their only guarantee is to replace damaged device/s. I would be surprised to find that there is a surge protector or UPS able to guarantee that it would absorb any and all amount of surge because it is not going to be an easy product to design and definitely some amount of surge would be able to cause some damage. This is also why faulty circuit breakers are risky to be running on (fire hazard and damage hazard). If your circuit breaker is not working properly then the voltage would not switch off in the needed cases which could cause some damage and/or a fire.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Nah, just Crank all the RGBs to maximum brightness, the photons from RGBs will fight the electrons from lightning.

Seriously speaking tho yes, You should unplug your PC. Also, unplug the ethernet cable just for additional safety.

20 hours ago, MedievalMatt said:

I power off my server during heavy storms.  Mostly because i put 18 months of work into digitizing my movie library and really really really dont want a storm fucking that shit up.

that said, your PSU and whatever surge protector should keep you well protected.  but, if you are worried about a power outage, better safe than sorry.  turn it off.  you dont really need to unplug it.

Nm, misread.  For a power outage, PSU's handle those fine.  For lightning too near your house for comfort, unplug.  Do the count thing, 5 seconds is a mile away.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

All my machines are either plugged in to really nice powerstrips or nice battery backups. In either case they are protected from damage. The strips and backups I purchase come with protection guarantees so they will reimburse for any damage caused.

I unplug all my stuff when there's a nasty storm in the area. Better safe than sorry. I've seen brown-outs kill PC components before. Unless you have really good protective equipment, I wouldn't risk it. 

My parent's house was stuck by lightning once. If you saw the fireworks that I saw shoot out of the receptacles, you'd be unplugging your system without hesitation, lol. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS