GTX 1060 freezing.

mang90

Hi, I recently bought a gtx 1060 founder's edition and kept the driver up to date and at some point the whole computer would freeze and shut down. When i try to restart it would ON and OFF repeatedly. I had to change the RAM to another slot to get rid of that. When i switch ON it would run but the display would be on saving mode. The was 1 long and 2 short beeps from the motherboard. I had to take out the graphics card and connect it to the mobo DVI and it would boot up normally and I had to shut down it properly from windows button and then insert the graphics card again for it to boot up with graphics card on. This is really troublesome for me. kindly help.

Could you post ALL of your specs? (CPU, Motherboard, RAM, PSU) Did you buy the GPU used or new?

7 minutes ago, ReHWolution said:

Could you post ALL of your specs? (CPU, Motherboard, RAM, PSU) Did you buy the GPU used or new?

i5-8400, Asus B360M-A, Corsair vengeance 8GB, Corsair TX-650M. GPU is brand new. not even a month old.

Can you test the GPU on a different system? So you can check if it's the PCIe slot or if it's the GPU that went to a better place.

This is the only system i have. I forgot to mention that it happens randomly too. last week it happen thrice in 1 day and today again.

1 hour ago, mang90 said:

Hi, I recently bought a gtx 1060 founder's edition and kept the driver up to date and at some point the whole computer would freeze and shut down. When i try to restart it would ON and OFF repeatedly. I had to change the RAM to another slot to get rid of that. When i switch ON it would run but the display would be on saving mode. The was 1 long and 2 short beeps from the motherboard. I had to take out the graphics card and connect it to the mobo DVI and it would boot up normally and I had to shut down it properly from windows button and then insert the graphics card again for it to boot up with graphics card on. This is really troublesome for me. kindly help.

what GPU was you using before?

I just bought everything new. From mobo to graphics card and ram. So this thing happened again today n i had to force shut down again. I removed the graphics card and plugged the mobo's dvi port. This worked everytime  but now it won't display and I can't even get to the bios. Now I'm thinking it cud be the ram problem and unfortunately i have only one stick of ddr4 ram. pc would boot but display wud be in saving mode. Help please!!!

How old are your psu? first of all you say "I just bought everything new. From mobo to graphics card and ram." psu included?.  It may be ram try to put it in another slot, It could be bad psu try to unplug from current (not just turn off) and wait like 5 mins and replug. I can only think in ram-mobo-psu on that issue, 

Seems ram...

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

Even the psu is new. I tried every slot but doesn't seem to work. I got a bsod when it happened whick says. Kernel security check failure. 

20 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

How old are your psu? first of all you say "I just bought everything new. From mobo to graphics card and ram." psu included?.  It may be ram try to put it in another slot, It could be bad psu try to unplug from current (not just turn off) and wait like 5 mins and replug. I can only think in ram-mobo-psu on that issue, 

Seems ram...

I tried what u said regarding disconnecting psu. I reconnected it, got a small shock n it worked. Thank you so much

Sometimes volatile memory with bad electric instalation could drive that, I suggest to buy a ups or a surge protector strip , maybe even both.... 

If it wasnt a rm corsair I would tell you to rma, but maybe is the solution maybe is a faulty psu, you got popping sounds on the speakers when you turn any light in your house? , maybe is surge related not psu but one of both. You got a shock? maybe is the case shorting?.. xD I dont have enough knowledge on this but maybe some testing? (I know its tedious but you can try to put your pc on another surface (like linus does with a motherboard box) and from there you can delete factors to aproach to the real issue, first that and then if its not the pc case buy a ups. or rma that psu

Try another wall plug , switch power strip <----- MUST , 

I tried what u said regarding disconnecting psu. I reconnected it, got a small shock n it worked. Thank you so much

@STRMfrmXMN (I should call the masters!!!) xD can you help with this? please?  Im lost how to solve this  for good (it will hapen again xDxD 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

So, same thing happened again. Pc froze. Will try the technique again n let u know. 

Wait, try with another psu. maybe is the motherboard maybe the psu 

I did try with the old corsair vs450 but the problem persists. Could it be due to some static charge in the motherboard preventing it from booting. There's no POST either. How to clear static from the motherboard?

4 hours ago, mang90 said:

I did try with the old corsair vs450 but the problem persists. Could it be due to some static charge in the motherboard preventing it from booting. There's no POST either. How to clear static from the motherboard?

I was going to say, that is exactly what it sounds like.

Take your board out of your system, place it on a cardboard box completely away from anything but a hardwood floor (or put it on a box on top of a desk) and then see if the problem occurs. Try both PSUs again too while you're at it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I did try breadboarding and didn't work. when i boot with RAM slot empty and beep warning came. So no problem with the motherboard right?. With RAM in there's no POST nor any warning beeps. anyway, I got it working now. It booted again when I removed the RAM and put it in another slot. But i did that a couple of times before but it did not work. It's the first time i'm using ddr4 so is this a common problem of it? can you suggest me how to test whether the RAM is 100% ok while PC is still alive?

nevermind