How's your Nintendo Switch holding up?

Cyberspirit

I just got one last Friday and, it broke this Monday so, it only lasted me a good 3 days but, it was fun while it lasted.

So, I was curious about your experience with the Switch. Have you had any issues with it?

I hope that I just got incredibly unlucky and that my next one will last me at least a year or two.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Bought my SO one for Christmas and she uses it often. I put a tempered glass screen protector and if she isn't using it goes into it's case. 0 issues. Going  to repair or send to Nintendo for repairs?

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Don't personally own one (e m u l a t o r s) but I know a lot of people who do and I've heard mixed things about it. Some have broken but most haven't

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

5 minutes ago, Slottr said:

How did it break? I've had mine since launch and its been perfect

I was playing in docked mode and, the green led flashed up then the whole thing died.

After that, the Switch wouldn't react to anything and, the dock led just keeps flashing green.

The charger works with my phone and the HDMI cable is fine too so, I'm assuming that somehow the dock died and took the Switch with it.

I tried everything I could find online but, sadly nothing worked.

It's good to hear that yours works fine. Hopefully, my next one will as well. :)

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

Nintendo warranty must cover that though, right?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Got mine in March this year play it portably and carry it in a case.  I have a screen protector.  No issues

I got mine on release day and with many many days and hours per day using it, with some breaks, it looks exactly the same as when I bought it

by breaks I mean breaks in time playing the switch. I'm also hope you're aware Nintendo has pretty good warranty service

17 minutes ago, Gikero said:

Bought my SO one for Christmas and she uses it often. I put a tempered glass screen protector and if she isn't using it goes into it's case. 0 issues. Going  to repair or send to Nintendo for repairs?

I'm sending it back to the shop I got it from but, they will most likely send it to Nintendo to repair it.

There isn't any place in Hungary that does Switch repairs as far as I know.

9 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Nintendo warranty must cover that though, right?

Yeah, it has a two-year warranty so, it should.

9 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Got mine in March this year play it portably and carry it in a case.  I have a screen protector.  No issues

Maybe the problem was that I only used it in docked mode then.

I got mine on release day and with many many days and hours per day using it, with some breaks, it looks exactly the same as when I bought it

by breaks I mean breaks in time playing the switch. I'm also hope you're aware Nintendo has pretty good warranty service.

That's nice to know but, it probably depends on the shop I got it from as well.

How did you usually use it? Docked handheld or both?

Edited by Cyberspirit

I have heard of the dock scratch unprotected screens though few Switches get warped though that doesn't sound like it happened here.  I'm wondering if it was a faulty ribbon cable or something.  I would be surprised if its not covered by warranty or store's refund policy

1 minute ago, LordOTaco said:

I have heard of the dock scratch unprotected screens though few Switches get warped though that doesn't sound like it happened here.  I'm wondering if it was a faulty ribbon cable or something.  I would be surprised if its not covered by warranty or store's refund policy

I had a soft glass cleaning cloth between the Switch and the dock just to make sure it doesn't get scratched until the screen protector arrives.

Funnily enough the day it broke is the day I got the screen protectors. :D Luckily I didn't install them.

And yeah, I have no idea what could have gone wrong but, since the green led flashed up, I'm assuming it was a power related thing. Maybe something got fried.

I'm just hoping it won't happen again.

Sounds like a rare case of manufacturing issues, that happens with all products, you where just one of the unlucky ones. Might have gotten some damage in shipping, since it didn't fry during Nintendos hardware testing before shipping. 

I've had mine since release day, used it 100+ hours in the dock, and probably 30 hours handheld or something, it's as good as new. I always keep it in the dock or in the bag when I'm not using it. No screen protector or any skins. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Oh also, when I got it I plugged the charger in because I wanted to have it fully charged before use but, after a few seconds it just turned itself on. Did that happen to everyone?

I felt like that wasn't really supposed to happen.

1 hour ago, Cyberspirit said:

Yeah, it has a two-year warranty so, it should.

Wow we only get one year in the US.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Wow we only get one year in the US.

Free of charge, 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) for all goods

Under EU rules you always have the right to a minimum 2-year guarantee at no cost, regardless of whether you bought your goods online, in a shop or by mail order.

This 2-year guarantee is your minimum right. National rules in your country may give you extra protection: however, any deviation from EU rules must always be in the consumer's best interest.

If goods you bought anywhere in the EU turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace them free of charge or give you a price reduction or a full refund.

As a general rule, you will only be able to ask for a partial or full refund when it is not possible to repair or replace the goods.

Quote from ZeouLs from my other thread.

I didn't actually know that it was a law until ZeouLs mentioned.

Was this with the actually official dock?

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Just now, Ithanul said:

Was this with the actually official dock?

Yeah, I only used what came with the Switch.

I've heard that third-party docks bricked Switches so, I didn't get one but, it still happened. Bad luck I guess. 

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

Yeah, I only used what came with the Switch.

I've heard that third-party docks bricked Switches so, I didn't get one but, it still happened. Bad luck I guess. 

That is odd.

Seems like bad luck indeed.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

9 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

I just got one last Friday and, it broke this Monday so, it only lasted me a good 3 days but, it was fun while it lasted.

So, I was curious about your experience with the Switch. Have you had any issues with it?

I hope that I just got incredibly unlucky and that my next one will last me at least a year or two.

I have 3 switches and all are from release day. I have had no issues with any of them. No scratches, no warping, no charging issues. And mine have all been heavily used. My most abused switch has even been coated with salt water while I was out fishing on my boat. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

8 hours ago, Zusafek said:

I have 3 switches and all are from release day. I have had no issues with any of them. No scratches, no warping, no charging issues. And mine have all been heavily used. My most abused switch has even been coated with salt water while I was out fishing on my boat. 

Oh, nice. That gives me a lot of hope for my next Switch. :x

Just got mine today. 

Used, from ebay.

Will I never learn?

Left joycon has analog stick issues. Hoping some electrical contact cleaner in the pots will solve the issue.

Edit: Yes, it helped a ton. In fact it solved the issue.

Anyone else having occasional wifi issues? Finding about once a week, the wifi chucks a fruity and holding down the power button and restarting is the only fix.

9 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Just got mine today. 

Used, from ebay.

Will I never learn?

Left joycon has analog stick issues. Hoping some electrical contact cleaner in the pots will solve the issue.

Edit: Yes, it helped a ton. In fact it solved the issue.

Nice. Glad that it helped. :)

I had the chance to get a refurb one for $60 less and with a 3-month warranty but, I was afraid that it would have problems.

1 hour ago, Aetheria said:

Anyone else having occasional wifi issues? Finding about once a week, the wifi chucks a fruity and holding down the power button and restarting is the only fix.

The short time I had mine it didn't have any WiFi issues but, you could always get one of those Ethernet to USB dongles if you use your Switch docked.

Though, the one by Hori isn't the best as far as I've seen from searching around.

My Switch is holding up fine since launch. Got some minor scratching on the glass (but not on the display) due to the dock, so I put on screen protector. I think I may have the left joycon connection issue due to some comments when playing MK8 in local multiplayer, but I'm not sure since I primarily use the pro controller docked and didn't see an issue in handheld mode. I'll probably just buy another pair of joycons at some point though since the original analog sticks are a bit worn (I think damage from people's nails). I'll keep the old ones in my carry case for co-op to keep my new ones as pristine as I can :)