Trying to get 4k/60fps with my 1080ti

I have built my own rig with specs that I thought would allow me to game at 4k/60fps at max settings. However, on AAA titles, I often get low to mid 50's or solid 45fps at max settings. I'm running a Asus ftw3 1080ti, 32gb of ram, an intel i7 6700K cpu. With a set up like this should I upgrade my cpu, or should I buy another 1080ti and sli them, or should I already be getting higher fps with a system like this. Any tips or ideas I would really appreciate as I have no idea which upgrade would be better or what configurations could help me reach my gaming goals. Thanks everybody!

1 minute ago, gut4life said:

Just run games at medium-high and turn down shadows and turn off AA

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Mess around with settings. Some settings you don't need at ultra.

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just run games at medium-high and turn down shadows and turn off AA

I honestly never really get why people recommending turning off AA at 2160p. I agree that stronger AA isn't necessary at that point but I don't agree with no AA being necessary.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Mess around with settings. Some settings you don't need at ultra.

I honestly never really get why people recommending turning off AA at 2160p. I agree that stronger AA isn't necessary at that point but I don't agree with no AA being necessary.

AA just isn't necessary on a high ppi display, on like a 43" 4k display it makes more sense, but not many people have those.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

AA just isn't necessary on a high ppi display, on like a 43" 4k display it makes more sense, but not many people have those.

It can make a game look cleaner, and if the way it's implemented in a game doesn't harm performance greatly I'd recommend keeping it on.

Something like 2x MSAA if he's playing something older or lower settings of TAA in many modern games would definitely help.

Now granted, it's all up to OP's tastes, but I'd personally go with lower settings of AA rather than disabling it completely.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'm mostly refering to something like super sampling which is going to wreck performance, something like TSAA doesn't really affect performance much.

Spoiler

Leave the CPU alone, it isn't your problem. As for going for the 2nd GPU, could you list, say, about 5 games you are currently playing or planning on playing?

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I'm mostly refering to something like super sampling which is going to wreck performance, something like TSAA doesn't really affect performance much.

Oh yeah, supersampling (and multisampling) fucking kills performance at higher resolutions. 4x 2160p already pits you at 7680x4320 and at that point, if it's possible, just do whatever lower end AA is available.

Most modern post-process AA options tend to look decent enough, especially at higher resolutions where they have more pixels to play with.

14 minutes ago, gut4life said:

I have built my own rig with specs that I thought would allow me to game at 4k/60fps at max settings. However, on AAA titles, I often get low to mid 50's or solid 45fps at max settings. I'm running a Asus ftw3 1080ti, 32gb of ram, an intel i7 6700K cpu. With a set up like this should I upgrade my cpu, or should I buy another 1080ti and sli them, or should I already be getting higher fps with a system like this. Any tips or ideas I would really appreciate as I have no idea which upgrade would be better or what configurations could help me reach my gaming goals. Thanks everybody!

Have you messed with Nvidia setting and turn high performance mode on max. and there are many things to play with. Also, if you want to mess with the GPU even more, make sure to use a OC program like MSI or something of the sort to allow it to use more Power along with higher thermal limits. You don't have to mess with the Actual OC I you don't want to.

CPU i7-7700k 5.5GHz Delidded GPU MSI 1060 6GB ARMOR OCV1 +335/+1000 RAM 16GB 2x8 Corsair Vengeance WLED 2400/3000 C14 COOLER Corsair H100i v1 BOARD MSI Z270 SLI SSD Samsung 960 Evo 250G, x3 2T Samsung 860 Evo HDD WDB 4T, WDB 1T PSU EVGA 650GQ80+M CASE Cougar PanzerS                                                                           

CPU i7-10700k GPU MSI RTX 2080 Duke POS RAM 32GB 2x16 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200/3600 CL14 COOLER CM MasterLiquid ML360R RGB Push/Pull BOARD MSI MEG Z490 Ace SSD 980 Pro 500G, 860 Evo 1T PSU EVGA 1000P2 CASE Phanteks Enthoo Luxe TG Black

CPU Pentium G4600 GPU MSI GTX 1080 Armor OCV1 +100/+400 RAM 8GB 2x4 G.SKILL Aegis 2133/3000 CL16 COOLER Corsair H100i v1 BOARD MSI H110M Pro-VD-Plus SSD 860 Evo 1T HDD WDB 500G, WDB 1T PSU EVGA 430W Bronze CASE Deepcool Tesseract/ VIVO

SERVERS i5-3470, i5-3470, i5-4590 GPUS MSI 750Ti 4GB, BFG GTS 250 1GB, GTX 690 RAMS 3x 16GB 2x8 1866 C8 PSUS 2x EVGA 1000T2 COOLERS Stock, Stock, Custom Loop BOARDS Intel, Intel, EVGA Classified SSD x3 860 250G HDDS I don't care to list CASES Optiplex, Optiplex, 2000s Water Case

560HP/607TQ E85 198MPH2000 Audi S4 2.7Bi-Turbo with K04/RS6 Inlets SRM -  DAZ Tune - 2.8L N/A DOHC Heads  -APB Block - Mahle Pistions - JHM Racing H-beam Rods - TheTuner Manifolds - 3.5in to 3in Exhaust with Magnaflow Dual Box - Dual Titanium Exhaust Tips - SAI CNC Delete - S4 Modified Airbox - 85MM Maf- RS4 Intake Manifold p&p RS4 Y-pipe - RS4 Bi-pipes - RS4 Fuel Rail - A8 TTB - Billet Divertervalves - Silicone Hose Everything - SRMv4 Intercoolers - Clutch Fan Delete/Block off - Power Steering Light Pully - FluidAmper - Billet Cam gears - V8 Cam Bolts - ABS Relocate - VW Diesel Oil Pump

yea, many people make the mistake to believe, 4k / 60 fps is possible at max settings. it's not with a 1080 ti, and not with a titan Xp.

4k with max settings is tremendously taxing. Go down to high (ultra is not efficient et all), or even Medium.

Play with the many Graphic Settings around, and be honest to yourself: Where do you see a difference, and how much? And where do you NOT see any difference.

For many Settings, you won't see any difference between High or Ultra, sometimes even Medium. But they cost alot of performance.

2 hours ago, Darkseth said:

yea, many people make the mistake to believe, 4k / 60 fps is possible at max settings. it's not with a 1080 ti, and not with a titan Xp.

4k with max settings is tremendously taxing. Go down to high (ultra is not efficient et all), or even Medium.

Play with the many Graphic Settings around, and be honest to yourself: Where do you see a difference, and how much? And where do you NOT see any difference.

For many Settings, you won't see any difference between High or Ultra, sometimes even Medium. But they cost alot of performance.

exactly turn the silly settings that dont matter down i leave shadows up and draw distance as far as possible but adjust most other settings chasing the 60 or 75 for my 1080 panel wait for the next gen top card it will do i60 hz no problem i bet 4k is going mainstream with all the 120 hz refresh rate 4k coming out.

Thanks so much for your feedback, after changing the performance mode in nvidia settings, turning on windows game mode, and turning down AA (though only necessary in some games) I was able to reach 4k/60fps in max settings in witcher 3, far cry 5, rise of the tomb raider, and FFXV. Thanks so much!!!