Should i buy a server rig opd intel one

Raj Bharath.S

Hi guys i just found a scrap electronic shop where they have very old bulky server rigs (intel ones.......i asked them to open and show it was all dusty thus i couldn't take a pic here's what i saw a small cooler fan unknown brand and intel parts i couldn't find ram sockets but i found a small ram sort of things many in number and gpu size boards attached to some kind of pci express the board was green in colour .........) the shop guy said no guarantee for parts and all but price was very cheap thats why should i buy it and will be of any use to me even if some parts dont work? pls help me  .......

1 minute ago, Raj Bharath.S said:

Hi guys i just found a scrap electronic shop where they have very old bulky server rigs (intel ones.......i asked them to open and show it was all dusty thus i couldn't take a pic here's what i saw a small cooler fan unknown brand and intel parts i couldn't find ram sockets but i found a small ram sort of things many in number and gpu size boards attached to some kind of pci express the board was green in colour .........) the shop guy said no guarantee for parts and all but price was very cheap thats why should i buy it and will be of any use to me even if some parts dont work? pls help me  .......

How much do these systems cost? I recommend getting the exact specs before buying.

hi.

That description says nothing. Intel makes mostly CPUs, but also some motherboards. Server-grade hardware is built on standard green PCBs, these don't need good external design or coloring, unlike mainstream PC parts. Server-grade hardware is made by other, non-mainstream, brands as well, Supermicro for example.

Get detailed specs of the server and all of it's components, test the system for stability and functionality.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

24 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

How much do these systems cost? I recommend getting the exact specs before buying.

it costs about 100 indian rupee s per kg (kilograms) and the guy doesn't know abt the specs

Your descrition is so vague it can be used to describe any intel pc starting from the 90s and up to today. Try to find the specs, ram has written onto it its spec, and sometimes intel cpu coolers too.

If you need to ask if the parts have any use to you, then they probably dont.

11 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

That description says nothing. Intel makes mostly CPUs, but also some motherboards. Server-grade hardware is built on standard green PCBs, these don't need good external design or coloring, unlike mainstream PC parts. Server-grade hardware is made by other, non-mainstream, brands as well, Supermicro for example.

Get detailed specs of the server and all of it's components, test the system for stability and functionality.

the guy doesnt kno and its super cheap like 100 indian rs per kilogram  

Just now, Raj Bharath.S said:

the guy doesnt kno and its super cheap like 100 indian rs per kilogram  

How much does it weigh? Seems like a bargain.

hi.

1 minute ago, AskTJ said:

How much does it weigh? Seems like a bargain.

dont know but 10 kilos near by and i can ask for discount

6 minutes ago, Raj Bharath.S said:

2000 rupees? Seems like a steal. Go for it if you want.

hi.

additional info ......the fan was very small like the fan which was used by linus in 69 dollars build on YouTube and it had black chips saying intel on them 2 if those ........what should i do they have many different types of rigs how would i know which would belong to like 2010 sort year cause more older than that would be use less

1 minute ago, AskTJ said:

2000 rupees? Seems like a steal. Go for it if you want.

u sure bro what can i do with the other parts if its not working like some work and some dont

10 minutes ago, Raj Bharath.S said:

additional info ......the fan was very small like the fan which was used by linus in 69 dollars build on YouTube and it had black chips saying intel on them 2 if those ........what should i do they have many different types of rigs how would i know which would belong to like 2010 sort year cause more older than that would be use less

u sure bro what can i do with the other parts if its not working like some work and some dont

Sell them as parts.

hi.

I wouldn't buy anything that couldn't be positively identified, unless you were willing to accept what you're buying could wind up being completely useless or even broken. The amount of dust could be an issue too, for server hardware dust can be a death sentence much faster than on a desktop.

Nothing against buying it if you just want a project to tinker on though, and are willing to accept it as a sunk cost when you're done cleaning it up and seeing if it works.

19 minutes ago, Raj Bharath.S said:

Well, look for Datecodes...

Even if that looks cheap, it probably isn't.

Since you are in India and I have to guess, those Servers are either Broken or very old. Like Pentium 4 Old, Socket 603, maybe even 604.

You can identify those by the heatsink Clamps.

Socket 603/604 is similar to Socket 423 in the Desktop. So two clamps on the side of the Heatsink.

LGA771 is similar to that but has PCI Express...

Socket 940 usualy doesnt, Sockel F does.

But even though, most of those are pretty much useless today...

So its a high risk adventure.

But you might be able to salvage some parts of it and get your money back on some market places in India. That might be possible...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Who sells computer hardware and sets price based on the weight?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

I have bought some old server cpus and motherboards, sometimes, they work, like my xeon e5 NAS. Old server cpu is probably OK to use,the motherboard and other components, however, depends on your luck. 

www.servermonkey.com

your welcome

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

you could use some parts to build a NAS or DLNA server, cases might be useful, the boards are probably fried but the CPUs or memory sticks could still work

13 minutes ago, Psittac said:

www.servermonkey.com

your welcome

10 hours ago, Raj Bharath.S said:

it costs about 100 indian rupee

10 hours ago, Raj Bharath.S said:

India

↓ ↓ ↓

Note that India and Brazil restrict importation of some types and quantities of products so we are unable to process shipments to these countries

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

A quick way to know if a machine is "worth" buying today.

Does it have a PCI-E slot? Yes, consider buying it. No? It's so old it ain't even worth looking at.

If you've answered Yes to the previous question, look at the type of RAM inside the computer, you should be able to pull one out and it should say something on it like PC2-3200 or some other thing like that on a little sticker, which would let you easily throw a ball park guess of the era it's from at the very least.(DDR2 and older should be disregarded as not being worth anything, unless you're literally just fishing for the "gold" on the parts.)

Servers are a bit different than desktop PC. With a desktop PC, you can usually tell with a single glance at the rear IO if it's worth it or not. As in, if it has one of the following parallel/serial/VGA by itself(No DVI/HDMI), then it ain't worth it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

@Raj Bharath.S leave it be. This is really old stuff. There is probably not much of a market for the parts - and even if you could frankenstein a working unit out of the remains you're probably way better off running a raspberry pi.

37 minutes ago, Raj Bharath.S said:

it had one this ram

Well, that was kinda expected...

That's old Single Data Rate SDRAM so we are talking about roughly 20 year old Hardware in the Region of Pentium 2, maybe Pentium 3.

So there is no point in it, if you aren't interested in the Cases, don't buy.

Some of the old Server Cases, for example Chenbro SR-103, are pretty nice.

But the Case is the only thing that can be used today, the rest is garbage and not even interesting for Retro Systems....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

20 hours ago, jj9987 said:

Who sells computer hardware and sets price based on the weight?

Places in India and China where all our 'trash' goes for recycling.  Pretty good idea if it were not for the terrible working conditions.  But it does give jobs and income to people who desperately need it so cant really judge through a western lens.