AMD TR 1950X Server Build -SQL Server

Hello Everyone,

Huge LTT fan for a long time, recently joined the forum to seek answers to some of the questions I have regarding a possible server build with TR 1950X.

This server will be built for a small business and will be responsible for running an ERP system (JobBOSS), QuickBooks, and OneCNC (networked cnc machines, edms etc.) Maximum number of clients that will be using the previously mentioned software is around 10.

Since I am a newbie when it comes to servers, I thought the more cores the better. Plus they are at a decent clock speed. 

Current parts list:

CPU: AMD TR 1950X

MOBO: ASRock X399 Taichi (Mainly because its proven to support and function with ECC memory, I honestly dont even know if I need ECC memory)

RAM: Any brand ( open to suggestions) minimum 16Gb. ECC or Non-ECC, depends on what people who knows better than myself will suggest.

GPU: Not important at all just

PS: Corsair 650 Watt 80 Gold Plus

Storage: 3 X WD Black 256 Gb M.2 PCIe NVME (again open to suggestions)

Additional Storage: 1 or 2 TB worth of Sata III SSDs

Cooling and case is really not that important I am not looking to overclock the CPU

RAID and NETWORK cards, i do not know if they are really necessary. Maybe a RAID card for a reliable RAID setup. The Mobo comes with dual Gigabit LAN ports so I dont think i need a separate network card.

Finally for OS I am thinking about using windows server 2016 or 2012 R2

Please, do criticize every part of this post and what I have planned. I need and appreciate your help!. I just cant justify spending thousands of dollars on an inferior Xeon setup...

The biggest criticism I have is using server appropriate parts. You picked workstation equipment not server equipment. If you really want to go with AMD then pick from their EPYC lineup. If you don't mind hopping the fence then pick from Intels Xeon series.

With servers due to having many clients all at once more cores helps keep the system running smoothly as requests come in. per core clock speed becomes less important depending on specific workload.

The Intel Xeon E5 2670 is at a very good price:performance ratio and picking a motherboard from supermicro would be the better way to go. Using ECC memory is the standard. You can look into Intels 2011-V3 or 2066 socket but price will go up very quickly.

Really for a proper business application buying a bare minimum server from Dell or HPE then populating it with your choice of drives, RAM, RAID controllers (if you're not using software RAID) and other features would be the best course of action. This guarantees if something goes wrong with the server Dell or HPE will have somebody out to get the server going again within the same day or next day while allowing you to use what hardware brands/features you like the most.

Thanks for your reply and input!!

I am aware that these parts are workstation "grade" but I cant seem to understand what the main difference is between what I have picked and the server equivalent alternatives. The CPU performs better than most almost all Xeons at its price range. The MoBo and the chipset is very close to EPYC or Opteron alternatives when it comes to quality. I cant justify passing on such performance upgrade for the price point of the system I wanna put together. The system I want to go with costs $2200 with tax (+some change maybe but excluding the OS) and when I look at Dell, Lenovo, HPE or others for the same price I cannot get near the performance(on paper performance) of this potential build. 

I can still go with ECC memory when it comes to Threadripper and x399 chipset. So I have that covered. Reliability wise you might be correct it will not be as good as a server thats built my an actual manufacturer. But again I will be using it for a run of the mill SQL based ERP software thats made for a company size of 70 people(only 5 active users of the software + 4 other data collection clients for KPIs such as job start, job end etc.). I have 5-6 users that will be on there constantly (logged in but not active all the time) 

When it comes to support you are absolutely correct, that I can have HPE or dell support on site if i pay for it and they will take care of whatever the issue might be. But I (we) currently dont even have that support option anyways.

Our current domain controller/SQL server set up is as follows:

CPU: Xeon E3-1275 V3 (4C/8T) 3.50 GHz

RAM: 16Gb DDR3 ECC

MoBo: Lenovo thinkserver...OEM

PSU: 400Watt OEM

Storage: 2 X 500Gb SCSI SEAGATE HHDs on RAID1 (on a RAID controller card)

Storage OS: Separate 100 Gb HDD not on the RAID controller

NETWORK: DUAL Gigabit network adapter card

whatever is on those drives gets backed up to series of external drives and to Azure cloud incrementally. (plus another external drive to keep a full copy)

So I believe the potential setup I want to go with is better than our current setup. The reason for the possible upgrade is that the performance with the addition of new ERP software etc has become less than ideal. Also I want to be able to upgrade it in the near future if necessary with new AMD cpus (Socket support till 2020 and all that)

Could you provide, maybe a little bit more detailed technical explanation as to why I should go with "server grade" hardware as opposed to this? ( I font mean to come off rude I am really trying to understand) Thanks!!

How much cpu usage do you currently see? Thread ripper seems way overkill here, something like a xeon e makes much more sense here.

Stay away from consumer grade storage, so no wd black drives. For ssds id go intel DC drives and what ever enterprise hdds you want.

Id probably just put some more ram in the domain controller, add some ssds and run the sql server in a vm, that cpu should be more than enough for what is listed. Im guessing your hitting storage speed limits, not cpu.

What os are you running?

server vs workstation, server is normally designed for more uptime so you get things like dual psus. Its easier to manage so you get things like impi built in for remote bios control. Also the rack servers are just easier to work on most of the time and you get things like completly tool less cases, much more dense cases, and much fewer wires running around. 

AMD doesn't have a budget server platform now, opteron is dead, and epyc is made for high end cpu heavy workloads, you really want xeon silver or xeon e here. 

Thanks for your input!

In our current Lenovo server we are running Server Essentials 2012 R2.

When I connect and simulate a normal workload with about 5 client PCs using the ERP software and a few others accessing the File System and copy or write some files to and from the server, the CPU usage shoots over 60-70%. Ram usage stays around 40% (16Gb Ram DDR3 ECC) but the disk usage is hits 100% and stays there for a while.

My thought process in wanting TR 1950X is that we will eventually have more people using the software at once and the workload is going to get more demanding. Plus if it get really to a point where I even need to upgrade the 1950X ill have 2990X (or whatever it might be called when it comes out).

4 hours ago, Freewalker11 said:

Thanks for your input!

In our current Lenovo server we are running Server Essentials 2012 R2.

When I connect and simulate a normal workload with about 5 client PCs using the ERP software and a few others accessing the File System and copy or write some files to and from the server, the CPU usage shoots over 60-70%. Ram usage stays around 40% (16Gb Ram DDR3 ECC) but the disk usage is hits 100% and stays there for a while.

My thought process in wanting TR 1950X is that we will eventually have more people using the software at once and the workload is going to get more demanding. Plus if it get really to a point where I even need to upgrade the 1950X ill have 2990X (or whatever it might be called when it comes out).

Id stay away from threadripper for a server, you can't get it in any premade servers, and its kinda overkill here.

Id get those ssds first.

Setup seprate vms for all your programs

get some more ram, Id go 32gb or more, it works as a disk cache aswell.

For servers, id look at a dell r440.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id stay away from threadripper for a server, you can't get it in any premade servers, and its kinda overkill here.

Id get those ssds first.

As someone who has a 1950X and 1900X, I agree.  Also, depending what hypervisors are used, the software support is less on TR compare to the Xeons and EYPCs.

Agree on the SSDs too, those will no doubt speed up that system since its using RAID1 which is already taking a hit on write speeds.

On 7/26/2018 at 12:50 PM, Windows7ge said:

The Intel Xeon E5 2670 is at a very good price:performance ratio and picking a motherboard from supermicro would be the better way to go. Using ECC memory is the standard. You can look into Intels 2011-V3 or 2066 socket but price will go up very quickly.

Highly agree on this.  The E5-2670s can be found on eBay at low prices at times.  A chip like that would work very well for a small business.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Highly agree on this.  The E5-2670s can be found on eBay at low prices at times.  A chip like that would work very well for a small business.

Id stay away from this in a buiness due to a lack of support. The chips are fine and a good value, but the lack of support makes it cause much more downtime if there is an issue, and you have the problem with a older system that will fail sooner and loose software support sooner.

14 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id stay away from this in a buiness due to a lack of support. The chips are fine and a good value, but the lack of support makes it cause much more downtime if there is an issue, and you have the problem with a older system that will fail sooner and loose software support sooner.

A good point.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 7/27/2018 at 2:50 AM, Windows7ge said:

If you really want to go with AMD then pick from their EPYC* lineup.

FTFY

On 26/07/2018 at 6:37 PM, Freewalker11 said:

-snip-

Here is server, memory is supported according to Supermicro's site, load ESXi 6.7 on it and create VM's. (You can check Supermicro's website for specs or compatibility questions).

It has 24c/48t CPU w/ 128 PCI-e lanes & ECC memory support. I think it won't be any bottlenecks and it will run quad channel.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Samsung - 860 Pro 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($196.10 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($414.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($269.89 @ OutletPC) 
Other: Rosewill Server Chassis/Server Case/Rackmount Case, 4U Metal Rack Mount Server Chassis with 8 Bays E-ATX  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Dynatron A26 2U Active Aluminum Heatsink with Heatpipe Embedded for AMD EPYC Socket SP3  ($38.41 @ Newegg) 
Other: AMD EPYC 7401P 24-Core 2.0 GHz (3.0 GHz Turbo) Socket SP3 155W/170W PS740PBEAFWOF Server Processor  ($1191.67 @ Newegg) 
Other: H11 AMD EPYC UP PLATFORM  ($441.00 @ Amazon) 
Other: Supermicro Certified MEM-DR480L-HL02-ER26 Hynix HMA81GR7AFR8N-VK 8GB DDR4-2666 ECC REG DIMM  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Supermicro Certified MEM-DR480L-HL02-ER26 Hynix HMA81GR7AFR8N-VK 8GB DDR4-2666 ECC REG DIMM  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $3367.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-30 06:52 EDT-0400

7 hours ago, Blake said:

FTFY

Sorry bout that. Forgot the name of the new lineup. Yes. Their EPYC chips. I wish I saw more people using AMDs server chips out in the wild. (Intel has pretty much dominated this market) It'd make remembering all their names easier.

11 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Sorry bout that. Forgot the name of the new lineup. Yes. Their EPYC chips. I wish I saw more people using AMDs server chips out in the wild. (Intel has pretty much dominated this market) It'd make remembering all their names easier.

This is 100% due to VMware not allowing for live migrations on hosts with different architectures. A few years with the Opterons lagging behind, means every business is already on the Intel platform. As things move towards the cloud/away from VMware, you'll see more AMD's in servers, but not too much because IT Directors need a Magic Quadrant to think for them.

3 minutes ago, Blake said:

This is 100% due to VMware not allowing for live migrations on hosts with different architectures. A few years with the Opterons lagging behind, means every business is already on the Intel platform. As things move towards the cloud/away from VMware, you'll see more AMD's in servers, but not too much because IT Directors need a Magic Quadrant to think for them.

its more than that. epyc still only fits in a certain server market asnd the cpu sku's are pretty limited(no very low end skus). only dualsocket. no avx 512, numa problems.

for this use threadripper or epyc is way overkill

On 7/30/2018 at 12:19 PM, Electric_Boi said:

Snip

Consumer grade SSDs, no redundancy, yeah, great idea for a business.

On 7/27/2018 at 8:17 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Indeed. The server itself will become a SPOF though, so I'd recommend to always have redundant power supplies, IPMI, decent RAID setup and a back-up solution in place.

Brand would be personal preference or whatever OP's company has a contract with. I'm assuming it's a tower server since it's a small business setting, so a Lenovo ST550 would be the perfect candidate.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Thank you every one for your replies and input!

As I read the comments its pretty apparent that going with TR 1950X or anyother non-server CPU is out of the question so I will not. At the same time our budget does not allow us to exceed ~$3500 including the software, lenovo ST550 is not an option (at least the brand new one on Lenovo's website)

I did not realize that the way the Windows Server(software) is set up has a huge impact on performance. Currently we are running 2012 Server Essentials and this machine is both the SQL server and the domain controller. Turns out this is a bad idea, as much as the internet is concerned. I am relatively new to the server scene ( can do maintenance and little tweaks) so I do not know the best way to set up the server with VMs etc.

Regarding pc part picker list, do you think downgrading the 7401P to 7281 (16c/32T) would impact performance significantly or can I still comfortably get by?

Another hardware question is that, should I instead of going for a new system, upgrade the current server drives to SSDs, add another 16 Gb of RAM, and maybe upgrade the CPU from E3-1275-V3 to E3-1285 V4 (but I dont think this is a significant performance boost at all and it is anywhere from $500 to $700)

What would be an alternative to "consumer grade SSDs" in this case with respect value?

I looked at the R440 with Xeon Silver ~4110 8C/16T at ~2GHz with 16 GB ECC, and RAID 1 with 2X1TB HDD (SATA, cheap) which ends up being around $2500, should I opt out for the obviously more reliably SAS drives of the same capacity. I am also open to suggestions on what RAID is best for a SMB (RAID 1 and RAID 5 are pretty much the only options here as far as I am concerned) RAID 5 obviously will cost more.

Thanks again everyone so far this has been a huge help!

4 hours ago, Freewalker11 said:

Thank you every one for your replies and input!

As I read the comments its pretty apparent that going with TR 1950X or anyother non-server CPU is out of the question so I will not. At the same time our budget does not allow us to exceed ~$3500 including the software, lenovo ST550 is not an option (at least the brand new one on Lenovo's website)

I did not realize that the way the Windows Server(software) is set up has a huge impact on performance. Currently we are running 2012 Server Essentials and this machine is both the SQL server and the domain controller. Turns out this is a bad idea, as much as the internet is concerned. I am relatively new to the server scene ( can do maintenance and little tweaks) so I do not know the best way to set up the server with VMs etc.

Regarding pc part picker list, do you think downgrading the 7401P to 7281 (16c/32T) would impact performance significantly or can I still comfortably get by?

Another hardware question is that, should I instead of going for a new system, upgrade the current server drives to SSDs, add another 16 Gb of RAM, and maybe upgrade the CPU from E3-1275-V3 to E3-1285 V4 (but I dont think this is a significant performance boost at all and it is anywhere from $500 to $700)

What would be an alternative to "consumer grade SSDs" in this case with respect value?

I looked at the R440 with Xeon Silver ~4110 8C/16T at ~2GHz with 16 GB ECC, and RAID 1 with 2X1TB HDD (SATA, cheap) which ends up being around $2500, should I opt out for the obviously more reliably SAS drives of the same capacity. I am also open to suggestions on what RAID is best for a SMB (RAID 1 and RAID 5 are pretty much the only options here as far as I am concerned) RAID 5 obviously will cost more.

Thanks again everyone so far this has been a huge help!

Get server standard, essentails is pretty limited.

Id go xeon e here, epyc is out of budget.

Don't go diy, you want support and a easy to manage system.

But in this case, Id personally just get ssds for the current server. Cpu is fine, there isn't much you can upgrade cpu wise.

For a ssd, look at a intel s4500.

How much storage are you using? What raid card do you have? 

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Get server standard, essentails is pretty limited.

Id go xeon e here, epyc is out of budget.

Don't go diy, you want support and a easy to manage system.

But in this case, Id personally just get ssds for the current server. Cpu is fine, there isn't much you can upgrade cpu wise.

For a ssd, look at a intel s4500.

How much storage are you using? What raid card do you have?

Currently I am leaning towards a premade system. Dell R440 or the tower version of the same server.

At the same time I am looking at E5-1650 V4(I think this is a great CPU at $660) as a DIY solution which ends up being about $2500-$2900. I was also looking at Xeon W2135 which is a pretty good CPU.

We have a RAID 1 config with 500GB total space. These are older SCSI drives on LSI-MR9260-8i controller card (I believe it has 512 MB cache).

The SSDs you have suggested, why would you choose them over, say, SAS drives 10K or higher RPM and 12Gbps? That is what I was going to go with on the DIY solution.

The R440/T440 dell server configs that i am considering is as follows:

CPU: Xeon silver 4110

MoBo: DELL OEM

RAM: 16 Gb ecc Reg

Storage Boot: 120 Gb SSD

Storage RAID 1: 2 x 1.2 TB NLSAS or 2 x 600 Gb SAS drives (NLSAS @ 7.2K 12Gbps and SAS at 10K 12Gbps, I wanted to go SATA but reads speeds are not really great as one can imagine NLSAS and SAS are premium priced SAS being more expensive)

RAID Card: PERC H330 or H730 with 1 Gb cache (H730 being $400 more )

+ Redundant PSU + ProSupport (on site next day support) is a little shy of $4000 including tax

or

a T330 (a step down) with Xeon E3 1270 V6 is about $3000 that is a 4C/8T 3.8 GHz CPU slightly faster clock speed than what I currently have (E3 1275 V3)

Just now, Freewalker11 said:

The SSDs you have suggested, why would you choose them over, say, SAS drives 10K or higher RPM and 12Gbps?

becuase the ssd smokes any hdd in terms of performances. You seem to be disk limited here. Don't get a hdd, there all slow compared to a ssd.

1 minute ago, Freewalker11 said:

Currently I am leaning towards a premade system. Dell R440 or the tower version of the same server.

Id go r330 here or r340 when it comes out. or t330 if you want a tower.

3 minutes ago, Freewalker11 said:

CPU slightly faster clock speed

You can't compare clock speed like the, the newer chip also does more with every clock

The r440 doesn't make sense in that budget, the bottom of the line xeons are pretty slow and you don't seem to need the extra ram.

2 minutes ago, Freewalker11 said:

RAM: 16 Gb ecc Reg

Get more ram, makes everything better, id go 32gb atleast

2 minutes ago, Freewalker11 said:

RAID Card: PERC H330 or H730 with 1 Gb cache (H730 being $400 more )

go h730, a good amount faster and the cache is nice to have

just configured a T330 with Xeon E3 1280 V6 ($370 more than the 1270),  RAID 1 with 2 x 960 SSDs TLC, PERC h830 RAID(no h730 option listed but maybe available through an sales agent) Card ( Do i honestly need this with SSDs, can I just do it via the software?) No redundant PSU (its $375 more for dual 495 Watt PSU), no proSupport. Price tag is $3700 plus tax.

Xeon E3 1280 V6 vs Xeon E3 1270 V6, is the price difference really justified with the potential performance boost?

32 GB ECC Reg RAM

On 7/31/2018 at 12:57 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

its more than that. epyc still only fits in a certain server market asnd the cpu sku's are pretty limited(no very low end skus). only dualsocket. no avx 512, numa problems.

for this use threadripper or epyc is way overkill

There is a line of EPYC for single socket, that was one of the big design goals of AMD to make a CPU and platform not require dual socket for no reason like Intel does i.e PCIe lanes. Though you don't have to by the single socket optimized ones any EPYC will run single socket.

Still it's really early product life of EPYC, maybe not the best idea if it's your one and only server or only one for that purpose. Having no fallback is not great.

5 hours ago, Freewalker11 said:

Xeon E3 1280 V6 vs Xeon E3 1270 V6, is the price difference really justified with the potential performance boost?

No, same number of cores and only a slight clock speed increase. Even going down to a E3-1240V6 wont have a big difference in performance, when it comes to SQL Server preference RAM and SSD over small CPU increases, unless you're adding more cores or 1Ghz higher boost it's not worth it.

5 hours ago, Freewalker11 said:

PERC h830 RAID(no h730 option listed but maybe available through an sales agent) Card ( Do i honestly need this with SSDs, can I just do it via the software?)

Same card just newer revision with more ram cache and faster ram. You can't use software RAID for OS disk so not really, motherboard RAID 1 is an option but not a very good one. H830 will be faster due to on chip CPU and the cache. Also I'd advise using separate smaller SSDs for the OS, sharing the OS disks with SQL isn't a good practice. Worst case at least use different partitions.

Also if going with ESXi and VMs then the only option is hardware RAID.

Configuration wise so far looks rather good I'd just look at the CPU options and if there is a lower end RAID card since with SSD RAID LSI doesn't actually use/recommend using the controller cache. Just make sure it's a real RAID card with an actual processor on it.

15 hours ago, Freewalker11 said:

just configured a T330 with Xeon E3 1280 V6 ($370 more than the 1270),  RAID 1 with 2 x 960 SSDs TLC, PERC h830 RAID(no h730 option listed but maybe available through an sales agent) Card ( Do i honestly need this with SSDs, can I just do it via the software?) No redundant PSU (its $375 more for dual 495 Watt PSU), no proSupport. Price tag is $3700 plus tax.

32 GB ECC Reg RAM

Don't get the 1280, its a horrible value, normally the 1230 or 1240 is the sweetspot. GOing from 1270 to 1270 is a doubling in price for like 2% more performance.

Why 960's? There last gen, consumer grade, and there really isn't a spot for them in those servers.

15 hours ago, Freewalker11 said:

PERC h830 RAID(no h730 option listed but maybe available through an sales agent) Card

h830 is a external raid card, you don't want this. You need the correct chassis for a h730

This is what id get https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/servers-storage-and-networking/poweredge-t330-tower-server/spd/poweredge-t330/pe_t330_1029?view=configurations&selectionState=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

Tower, e3 1240 v6,  2x 1tb ssds, h730, 32gb ram. 3k. NO os, default support.

58 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I have been leaning toward the T330 as well, the more I think about it. Could someone explain why I should not buy the SSDs myself at half the price per ssd? ( see here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/data-center-ssds/dc-s4500-series/dc-s4500-960gb-2-5inch-3d1.html)

Is Xeon silver 4110 completely out as an option? 

There is a config w/

Xeon silver 4110

RAID H730

32 GB Ram

Single PSU 495 Watt

Basic Support No OS

Total $ 2300 + Tax + 2 x Intel S4500 980 GB SSDs @ Total $720 

Overall total $3000 = Tax

If this is a bad idea I will most likely go ahead and place the order for what Electronics Wizardy suggested (probably with 1270 for &60 more). In any occasion I need to make a decision and commit to it (have it ordered, start building etc.) by the end of this week.

Speak now or forever hold your breath ladies and gentlemen!

1 hour ago, Freewalker11 said:

have been leaning toward the T330 as well, the more I think about it. Could someone explain why I should not buy the SSDs myself at half the price per ssd? ( see here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/data-center-ssds/dc-s4500-series/dc-s4500-960gb-2-5inch-3d1.html)

Support, buy the ssd with the server dell supports it. Its upto use. Buying your own will work fine, Just remember to buy trays for it

1 hour ago, Freewalker11 said:

Is Xeon silver 4110 completely out as an option?

Both will work fine, its just not much better

going with 3467 gets you a much better upgrade path if you need that, for that price id be tempted to go 3467 and get more cpu later if you need

What server would you get with the silver? r440?