More details about the throttling issues of the 15" core i9 MacBook Pro, this time with Final Cut Pro X

Go to solution Solved by D13H4RD,

Oh boy, when AppleInsider says “It’s Real”, shit’s a’brewing

Freezergate anyone?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Who needs to take the blame for the aggressive throttling of the i9 15" MacBook Pro?

8 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

They didn't even bother to engineer a proper cooling solution for a chip THEY KNOW is a heat magnet

It's not even just that, MacBooks have pretty terrible cooling in general.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That's very true. At least with most of the others they at least tried somewhat to keep it cool. And they chose cpus that were decent for that formfactor at the time.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Just now, 8uhbbhu8 said:

That's very true. At least with most of the others they at least tried somewhat to keep it cool. And they chose cpus that were decent for that formfactor at the time.

Making them thinner and more compact doesn't do much to help them either, everybody knows Coffee Lake runs hot.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Making them thinner and more compact doesn't do much to help them either, everybody knows Coffee Lake runs hot.

Yeah Coffee Lake Never was a great idea to put in it in the first place with that cooling capacity. Doesn't matter what you do with pipes and fans. Metal can only dissipate a certain amount of heat before it's overwhelmed. You'd think they would have been able to calculate that and realize it was a bad idea. Although this IS Apple so take from that what you will.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

35 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That's why I think Coffee Lake is more of a half-assed response to Ryzen imo

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, captain_to_fire said:

That's why I think Coffee Lake is more of a half-assed response to Ryzen imo

I wouldn't go that far, the main problem is price and heat output. It's not entirely half-baked.

Just now, leadeater said:

Well it is fully baked that's for sure ;)

I'll wait until an article appears online saying that Intel's core i9 contributes greatly to global warming and environmental activists with protest on Intel HQ saying "i9 kills polar bears"

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I wouldn't go that far, the main problem is price and heat output. It's not entirely half-baked.

If that's the case then Intel's hope is to use 10nm transistors which at the moment they're having troubles. I think Cannonlake with 10nm is only for mobile devices.

Coffee Lake was essentially using the best of what they currently had to make it as competitive as possible to Ryzen on an overall performance level. 

We won't see meaningful improvements to heat and power efficiency until Intel rolls out a drastically overhauled core architecture 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

How I wish there's an Android phone that receives security patches and new Android versions for more than 36 months and doesn't require rooting. Tbh I prefer Samsung's hardware design than Apple or Google but those two offer better software experience imo.

If I could keep a phone alive for more than 12 months I'd know if that was true or not, but my last to androids have received security updates almost monthly the whole time I had them.

TBH I'm not really sure why people keep posting that picture for security update claiming only 6% get them or something, that's never been my experience and I refuse to accept I am always in that 6%.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

If I could keep a phone alive for more than 12 months I'd know if that was true or not, but my last to androids have received security updates almost monthly the whole time I had them.

TBH I'm not really sure why people keep posting that picture for security update claiming only 6% get them or something, that's never been my experience and I refuse to accept I am always in that 6%.

Most people buy budget phones, you get what you pay for. 

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Well it is fully baked that's for sure ;)

It's not the only thing thats fully baked ;) 

Just now, RorzNZ said:

Most people buy budget phones, you get what you pay for. 

It's not the only thing thats fully baked ;) 

I do buy budget phones,   The most expensive phone I bought was a windows phone which was $199.  the rest have all been around the $90-$160 mark.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I think those pie charts/bar graphs refer to Android versions and not security patches. Google decided to separate security patches from Android versions. Apple on the other hand combines new iOS version with security patches that's why the latest stable build is iOS 11.4.1 whereas with Google it's Android Security Patch Level 2018-07-05. I think monthly patches are expected from high/mid tier Android phones depending on the vendor. I doubt those $50-100 Android phones from China will ever see even a single update.

Just now, mr moose said:

I do buy budget phones,   The most expensive phone I bought was a windows phone which was $199.  the rest have all been around the $90-$160 mark.

Then I guess you are most people and 6% is inaccurate

As someone that grew up in a family of Mac users, I'm not the least surprised by this. I owned a Macbook that overheated like crazy all the time. My mother's old one is still sitting around in her house. An unused brick since it has always overheated like crazy. Macbook Pros were never immune to this 'feature' either. Feeling like my computer was burning my lap was always a very fun experience though..

Macbook: The computer that requires a laptop cooling pad just to make use of some performance.. and even then still shouldn't be left on for too long. :|

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

On 19/7/2018 at 5:57 AM, ImpulseRez said:

A bit ridiculous to blame Intel on this one. Apple must have made a conscious design choice to keep the laptop thin at the expense of cooling. Intel chips are pretty good from an efficiency perspective (better than AMD at least), and being the first 6 core laptop chips are always going to be thermally dense to start with.

Also, bringing up the ARM mention is pretty absurd (performance compared to an 8th Gen 6 core Intel CPU is not going to be in the same league!)

Yeah, Intel chips are great at efficiency, but I disagree on the second part, AMD Ryzen CPUs are just as good if not more efficient than Intel´ps now. Specially with APUs and now 12nm. You can manage to put an AMD Ryzen 7 2700/1700 on a Laptop and not overheat, and the Raven Rifge APUs maintiain their 15W TDP even with the Vega GPU at work.

3 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

While that might be true, it looks like this CPU is over 45W TDP and that the TDP Rating isn't really correct...

I've looked up some Intel Processors and somethings just don't add up:

Just scroll down and look at that.

https://www.tomshw.de/2018/04/19/ryzen-2000-performace-leistungsaufnahme-temperaturen/17/

No need for translation and the reason why nobody mentions power consumption since Ryzen in recommendation pages. Because the Efficiency of the Intel CPUs isn't that great...

Another thing:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12841/amd-preps-new-ryzen-2000series-cpus-45w-ryzen-7-2700e-ryzen-5-2600e

Although that seems like DESKTOP Processors and not mobiles.

Money Quote:

2.8GHz is the specified Base frequency of the 8 Core/16 Thread CPU, 3.1GHz of the 6 Core/12 Thread CPU...

And then they specifiy the "45W" with 2.9GHz and up to 4.6GHz Boost...

----------------

now back to Intel:

What is interesting, that the 35W TDP Desktop processor clock far lower. Like 2.3GHz Base tops and 3.6GHz Boost.

Like the i7-8600T:

https://geizhals.de/intel-core-i5-8600t-cm8068403358708-a1796008.html?hloc=de

Another interesting part of Information is the 25W TDP Downclock that is mentioned here.

And the "45W" TDP mobile looks astonishingly like the 65W TDP Desktop i7-8700 (non K Version. K is officially 95W TDP).

https://geizhals.de/intel-core-i7-8700-bo80684i78700-a1797792.html?hloc=de

And we also have 45W TDP Desktop processors, though they are Xeon:

https://geizhals.de/intel-xeon-e3-1260l-v5-cm8066201921903-a1330448.html?hloc=de

2.9GHz Base, 3,9GHz Boost, but only Skylake -> 4C/8T...

That does not really add up on Intels side and looks a bit optimistic o.O

The only thing we are able to know more is to get one of those mobile CPUs, modify the Board and measure the power consumption...

But looking at the Desktop versions, we can say that the mobile ones look weird...

Especially if you compare the mobile with the 45W Skylake Xeon. 

The 45W Mobile Part has higher boost, same base and same TDP as a 4Core/8 THread CPU, although the architecture is basically the same and the manufacturing still on the same node...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

29 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Yeah, Intel chips are great at efficiency, but I disagree on the second part, AMD Ryzen CPUs are just as good if not more efficient than Intel´ps now. Specially with APUs and now 12nm. You can manage to put an AMD Ryzen 7 2700/1700 on a Laptop and not overheat, and the Raven Rifge APUs maintiain their 15W TDP even with the Vega GPU at work.

AMD CPUs right now are more efficient and consume less power than the Intel.

That is why nobody mentions the better Efficiency/lower Power Consumption of the CPU in recommendation Threads these days ;)

On 19.7.2018 at 12:57 PM, ImpulseRez said:

A bit ridiculous to blame Intel on this one. Apple must have made a conscious design choice to keep the laptop thin at the expense of cooling. Intel chips are pretty good from an efficiency perspective

Everything you stated here is false. And provable so.

From what we know right now, this chip is a bit over 45W TDP, and it looks like its a pretty optimistic TDP Rating.

(better than AMD at least),

That is just not true.

Look here:

https://www.tomshw.de/2018/04/19/ryzen-2000-performace-leistungsaufnahme-temperaturen/17/

Power Consumption of Ryzen 2700x is equal to i3-8350k

and being the first 6 core laptop chips are always going to be thermally dense to start with.

No, not if you do it right, and spec the CPU according to its regular power consumption or reduce Clockrate and voltage until it fits.

What you miss is the i7-8600T wich is a 35W TDP CPU. 

Also, bringing up the ARM mention is pretty absurd (performance compared to an 8th Gen 6 core Intel CPU is not going to be in the same league!)

you don't have any proof of that as the cross plattform benchmarks are pretty much impossible to do.

And the ARM Chips are developed for a total different usage pattern anyway, so it doesn't make too much sense to do that anyway...

29 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

From what we know right now, this chip is a bit over 45W TDP, and it looks like its a pretty optimistic TDP Rating.

It’s not “a little”.

Depending on the clockspeed and probable voltage, it can either be that or a lot.

For all we know, 45W is the probable TDP at base 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

While that might be true, it looks like this CPU is over 45W TDP and that the TDP Rating isn't really correct...

I've looked up some Intel Processors and somethings just don't add up:

Especially if you compare the mobile with the 45W Skylake Xeon. 

The 45W Mobile Part has higher boost, same base and same TDP as a 4Core/8 THread CPU, although the architecture is basically the same and the manufacturing still on the same node...

Stop talking about TDP,  you have been told by many people what it is and why it is an accurate spec,  but you insist on telling people it is wrong. 

1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

It’s not “a little”.

Depending on the clockspeed and probable voltage, it can either be that or a lot.

For all we know, 45W is the probable TDP at base 

It is the TDP because TDP is measured at base clock.  Forget everything that Stefan says, because this has nothing to do with efficiency or xeons or cores, but purely about the lack of cooling in the mac. 

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It is the TDP because TDP is measured at base clock.  Forget everything that Stefan says, because this has nothing to do with efficiency or xeons or cores, but purely about the lack of cooling in the mac. 

And other compact laptops with inadequate cooling.

I could talk about the 8950HK’s heat output and Coffee Lake mobile’s limits in pushing performance and achieving a balance between it and efficiency, but that’s for another time (and Intel would probably be rolling out a more efficient architecture by that time.)

The thing is that with Coffee Lake, it follows that TDP definition exactly. You can’t reasonably expect the CPU to maintain the same characteristics as Kaby Lake with 2 extra cores and more aggressive clocks, especially when the core architecture has not changed too much. We can talk about how Intel could’ve made it more efficient or something but Coffee Lake is already out. The least manufacturers can do right now is implement cooling systems which can handle the increased heat demands or just not offer them if it’s unsuitable 

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Stop talking about TDP,  you have been told by many people what it is and why it is an accurate spec,  but you insist on telling people it is wrong. 

It is the TDP because TDP is measured at base clock.  

Its not my Problem that Intel uses such a shitty definition of TDP.

And why are you also defending Intel right now?

So you are just making things up like you did in the other thread with the "TV" thing, where you made up your own definition. And now you are doing the same with the TDP.

If Intel is not able to tell the Notebook Manufacturers what TDP to expect and cool, it is their fault. And that is what it looks like because all CPUs get really realyl hot.

Forget everything that Stefan says, because this has nothing to do with efficiency or xeons or cores, but purely about the lack of cooling in the mac. 

Why are you defending Intel so much and try to deflect the blame from them, when it is clear that they are not innocent in this mess?!

15 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Its not my Problem that Intel uses such a shitty definition of TDP.

The problem is not the definition, it's that you don't understand it.

And why are you also defending Intel right now?

Call it defense, but if you weren't lying about it all the time no one would say anything.

So you are just making things up like you did in the other thread with the "TV" thing, where you made up your own definition. And now you are doing the same with the TDP.

Please, Made up? you think  @D13H4RD2L1V3 @leadeater myself and a few others are just making this up?

If Intel is not able to tell the Notebook Manufacturers what TDP to expect and cool, it is their fault. And that is what it looks like because all CPUs get really realyl hot.

Intel are able to tell them what the TDP.

Why are you defending Intel so much and try to deflect the blame from them, when it is clear that they are not innocent in this mess?!

Why are you lying about it so much and trying to blame them for it?

Also, the watts used in TDP are a measure of heat.

Watts in TDP does not necessarily equal to Watts in package power