Cheap 1440p Korean monitor, worth it?

slimfit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111152577746?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm thinking about buy a new monitor, does anyone here use that monitor before? Does the image quality good?

Because it is LG AH-IPS panel, so I think the image quality should be head to head with the ASUS MX279H 27

Which one do you prefer?

Thanks!

From what I have read the panels themselves are nice quality with a chance to have some defect that the the company didn't want in their line up, but are still good. The only questionable part would be casing around the panels that is iffy.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

I would say that they're worth it. Then again, I don't have a 1440p monitor. So take my review with a grain of salt.

From what i've heard some have reported dead pixels on their korean monitors, but i could be wrong. otherwise i've only heard good things about them.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

Got two, a Yamakasi Catleap and a X-Star, both pixel perfect edition. The X-Star has bit of backlight bleeding around the corners and the build qulity in generall is not perfect. But for the money, I highly recommend them, 0 dead pixels so far (got the Yamakasi for over a year now) and great color reproductions thru the panels them self

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

If you really want 1440p and you can afford the premium ones then go for it. Just don't be surprised if you get a dead pixel

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

Samsung PLS panels, can't go wrong with that. Better than crappy TNs.

Edit: CAREFUL! You are currently looking at a glossy panel. Wich might be oke for you, but most people like a matte screen.

Give me 1 day to tell you an answer. I ordered a Qnix QX2710 Matte PLS one and should get it by tomorrow. I will do an unboxing with photo's and do a small write-up that should be here in 2 days. Aswell, I think that screen you linked just got put on ebay, would've likely ordered that one.. it looks so much better :D oh well. At least it has the same stand and my screen is PLS! ^^ 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

I would buy one just for the overclocking that can be done on some of them

(not all monitors are created equal) but if you do so happen to get one that

is a overclocker, it's well worth it.

Yes they are worth it, Logan (at tek syndicate) says they are Samsung and Apple panels in a different shell. I don't know which monitors have which panel though. 

But yes, they are worth it.

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

Yes they are worth it, Logan (at tek syndicate) says they are Samsung and Apple panels in a different shell. I don't know which monitors have which panel though.

But yes, they are worth it.

Apple uses LG panels. Samsung uses their own PLS panels.

They do seem to be quite a good deal. The main area that they fault on is the stability/durability of the stand. I believe the monitors can be a bit wobbly and possibly the features aren't (inputs etc) aren't as good. I can't say for sure though. I didn't take the gamble so I bought an Asus 1440p. At that time there were less of them though and a bit more risk.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

They do seem to be quite a good deal. The main area that they fault on is the stability/durability of the stand. I believe the monitors can be a bit wobbly and possibly the features aren't (inputs etc) aren't as good. I can't say for sure though. I didn't take the gamble so I bought an Asus 1440p. At that time there were less of them though and a bit more risk.

Really should have waited for the new monitors releasing any day now. 

Really should have waited for the new monitors releasing any day now. 

I bought my monitor ages ago. What new monitors are you referring to? Gsync?

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Edit: CAREFUL! You are currently looking at a glossy panel. Wich might be oke for you, but most people like a matte screen.

Give me 1 day to tell you an answer. I ordered a Qnix QX2710 Matte PLS one and should get it by tomorrow. I will do an unboxing with photo's and do a small write-up that should be here in 2 days. Aswell, I think that screen you linked just got put on ebay, would've likely ordered that one.. it looks so much better :D oh well. At least it has the same stand and my screen is PLS! ^^ 

You shouldn't make statements like that, it's completely subjective.  Most people like matte screens?  I see people *constantly* looking for glossy screens because matte coating lowers picture quality and people like me get more fatigue and eye strain from them.  I bought a glossy XSTAR Korean panel and LOVE it.  It has a couple dead pixels (3) but on a 1440p screen you can't even see them because they are so much smaller than the pixels on a 1080p monitor.  The only thing you want to be careful of is to make sure you don't order a multi-input model, those do NOT overclock.

I would buy one just for the overclocking that can be done on some of them

(not all monitors are created equal) but if you do so happen to get one that

is a overclocker, it's well worth it.

If you buy the right model (XSTAR DP2710, QNIX QX2710, Yamasaki Catleap 2b) they *all* overclock.  The key is you have to get the bypass, single input model.  If it has displayport or multiple inputs it WILL NOT overclock, or rather it will drop frames if you do force it to a higher refresh rate.  The bypass models are the ones without input lag that pretty much all go to at least 96hz.  Mine goes to 110hz with no problems, it hits 120hz but will get scanlines in some games.  None of them will clock to 144hz.

If you decide to buy one here are a few things to consider:

1) These monitors have no scaler.  That means you can't run your OS in lower resolutions and if you run games in lower resolutions you'll have black bars around the screen.  This doesn't sound like a big deal, but running games in 1440p takes quite a bit more power, to keep a reasonable framerate in multiplayer online games you need a fast computer.  You'll be locking yourself in to staying higher on the hardware curve than you might be comfortable with.

2) Overclocking sounds great, but just like #1 it takes a lot more power to run 100+ fps at 1440p.  To give you an idea I am running a 4770k with SLI 780ti's so that I can run 110+ fps with high settings on modern games.  It isn't cheap, and to maintain those framerates you will pretty much always need two higher end graphics cards or you will be forced to turn down settings.

3) You might get dead pixels or severe backlight bleed.  The dead pixels really aren't much of a big deal unless you get a ton of them, but the backlight bleed can be severe.  It's fixable if you open your monitor (it's usually caused by pressure from the cheap bezel) but if you don't feel comfortable opening it up and inserting some spacers (electrical tape or thin foam) then it may not be for you.

The stand isn't amazing, but as long as you have a stable surface that doesn't shake a ton you should be fine.  The stand is kind of low to the ground though, I will probably eventually buy a new stand or a floating arm.  You can VESA mount these but you have to open the monitor up to take the base of the stand off...

I bought my monitor ages ago. What new monitors are you referring to? Gsync?

I'm talking about the new QHD Ultra Wide monitors being announced at CES. I personally don't care about G-Sync because 1080p TN panels suck complete ass and that's all it will be on. An Ultra Wide 1440p monitor is gonna be about the best thing since sliced bread lol!

I'm talking about the new QHD Ultra Wide monitors being announced at CES. I personally don't care about G-Sync because 1080p TN panels suck complete ass and that's all it will be on. An Ultra Wide 1440p monitor is gonna be about the best thing since sliced bread lol!

Will it? I was looking at the dell ultra wide 2560x1080 (I know its lower res) but ultra wide is not very catered for though. Some games may look cool but most films etc will have black bars at the side. I opted for the standard 16:9. We aren't ready for 21:9 just yet. Well that is how I feel. I'm happy with my 2560x1440. 

Will it? I was looking at the dell ultra wide 2560x1080 (I know its lower res) but ultra wide is not very catered for though. Some games may look cool but most films etc will have black bars at the side. I opted for the standard 16:9. We aren't ready for 21:9 just yet. Well that is how I feel. I'm happy with my 2560x1440. 

The good thing about these new ones is if something doesn't support it you still get the same screen space as 2560x1440. Whereas the 29" 2560x1080 you'd be left with the screen size of a 23" monitor. I was gonna jump on the 2560x1080 monitors but they are a bit to narrow for my liking! 34" of monitor is just epic!