AMD B450 boards are out?

SydHalfast

Multiple stores in Austria and Germany are taking pre-orders on AMD B450 boards from ASUS and ASRock, according to Geizhals.eu. Some stores actually list some of these motherboards as “in stock”, but they also note that the product will be ordered from their warehouse (or a distributor) after a customer order is placed. So the devices may be available to buy, but delivery will take several days.

Meanwhile, the ASUS Prime B450M-A seems to be available immediately. And GIGABYTE lists one of its B450 motherboards (the B450M DS3H), but it does not seem to be available for order anywhere. One thing to note is that neither of these board makers have said boards listed on their web sites, but stores mentioned by Geizhals.eu have all the official pictures of the products that can only be obtained from manufacturers.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13050/amd-b450-mobos-listed-in-europe-ahead-of-launch

The boards seem to hover in a 80~90 euro price region and are compatible with both last years Ryzen, as well as the new Ryzen 2000 series processors.

From the looks of it, the boards could offer some great value. The AM4 socket based motherboards will mostly have four DDR4 memory slots and one a m.2 SSD (NVMe compatible) connector. Gigabyte offers the B450M DS3H has since surfaced for about 80 euros. ASUS release just over seven board, starting at roughly 70 EUR, ASRock offers one, at roughly 90 EUR. AMD B450  is a lower classed (budget) Ryzen chipset, where the X470 chipset is going to support SLI , B450 does not (but does support Crossfire). The B450 will be a more budget aimed choice, which makes a lot of sense. Please notice that you will get your standard 20 PCIe 3.0 lanes pulled from the Ryzen processor. Ryzen all by itself has 24 PCI-Express lanes, 4 are being used to interface with the B450 or X470 chipset (which adds Gen 2.0 lanes as shown in the table). So depending on the chipset used it adds a number of gen 2.0 PCIe lanes through the chipset. 

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-b450-motherboards-now-available-in-etail.html

https://geizhals.eu/?fs=AMD B450&cat=mbam4

The news seem positive. The better part is the Ryzen 2000 ready and the interesting price range.

Apparently here in Europe they are listing the boards right now. It should mean they are actually coming out very soon.

Question is: are they really better than the b350's, other than the Ryzen 2000 ready firmware?

Should we expect a price drop on the older ones?

48 minutes ago, SydHalfast said:

Question is: are they really better than the b350's, other than the Ryzen 2000 ready firmware?

Yes.

No.

28 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Yes.

No.

negative....

Some are even the same, some got a minor redesign.

1 hour ago, SydHalfast said:

Not really.

Some may have a more modern layout but the chipset is essentially the same, haven't seen any major changes for those.

So you have to take a good look at the Boards and if the new ones are actually better for what you want. For me the ASUS X370-F Strix is better than the X470-F Strix, because the 370 has holes for AM2 mountings and two additional S-ATA Ports, while the X470 has a PS/2 Port, a second M.2 slot, less USB POrts on th Back, two USB2.0 Front Panel Ports while the X370-F has two USB 3.0 Panels. Both have the newer USB 3.1 Front Panel connector.

But the Official Ryzen 2k Support justifys the renaming because with 400 series Boards you are sure that the CPU will run. That is not the case for 300 series.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

x470 supports AMD's Store-MI which is what Optane should have been. No costly proprietary modules that take up a m.2 slot and tons more customization.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

22 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

x470 supports AMD's Store-MI which is what Optane should have been. No costly proprietary modules that take up a m.2 slot and tons more customization.

Well:

Didn't take off then, didn't take off now, because its a relatively useless technology. Or rather a small niche market.

Its a nice gimminck but hardly more than that...

37 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

The thing is, Store-MI isn't really something unuque to AMD or something they should be creditted for inventing (or even innovating upon). It's just a license to the basic version of an existing piece of software, included for buying AMD hardware.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

These will be a really good match for new quad core parts.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 7/6/2018 at 12:07 PM, Stefan Payne said:

negative....

Some are even the same, some got a minor redesign.

I did not qualify how much better they are. The improvements are tiny in most cases but 400 series have exclusive features if nothing else. But really, a quick Google search will tell you all the differences. Ultimately, you're buying a board, not a chipset. So that's what you should be looking at. The only reason to buy 300 series boards is either pricing or a specific feature set that have been omitted from current 400 series boards (of which you give an example but if you don't need those things why bother?).

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

What the hell happened for the thread to be cleaned?

Just that I had to adapt the thread to the correct forum guidelines for it to stay in the News Section.
Nothing really juicy, sorry. :(

5 minutes ago, SydHalfast said:

Just that I had to adapt the thread to the correct forum guidelines for it to stay in the News Section.
Nothing really juicy, sorry. :(

Oh, alright, just wondering if I missed a flame war.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

7 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

On topic: is this a Z87 to Z97-type refresh?

Yes, kinda.

Its mostly about the BIOS, some Boards are redesigned, some are not. 

Main difference is the BIOS and that Ryzen 2k works out of the box.

The rest depends on your taste and so on.

7 hours ago, Trixanity said:

But that's where you're wrong.

No, I'm not.

Some Boards are the same with a newer BIOS out of the Box. Some are different.

If it is better depends on what you want/need from the Board. For example the ASUS X370-F vs. X470-F

The X370-F has 8 S-ATA, more USB 3.0 connectors and two front panel USB 3.0 Connectors.

The X470-F has less USB 3.0, only one USB 3.0 Front Panel, no USB 2.0 on he Back but two USB 2.0 Front Panel connectors, two m.2 Connectors but only 6 S-ATA Connectors.

Also no ability to use AM2 mounting for Heatsinks for the X470-F

That's not better, that is different!

For some the X370-F is the better board, for others the X470-F is.

I did not qualify how much better they are. The improvements are tiny in most cases but 400 series have exclusive features if nothing else.

Not all boards got improvements. Just look at ASUS X470-F Strix vs. X370-F Strix!
Improvements mean better, less S-ATA Connectors is not.

Less USB Connectors is not better

not being able to use AM2 Mounting kits is not better.

BIOSTAR Boards seem to be mostly the same, no change there in features.

But really, a quick Google search will tell you all the differences.

You should stop assuming that the other side doesn't know what they are talking about.

If you looked at my profile, you would have seen that there was an example that I mentioned a couple of hours ago, that I also mention here. So stop assuming you know what you are talking about and the other guy does not.

And as I said, some boards are the same, some boards got a redesign....

Ultimately, you're buying a board, not a chipset. So that's what you should be looking at.

Did you read my Post?? 

Doesn't seem that way...

Here what I was saying:

9 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

So you have to take a good look at the Boards and if the new ones are actually better for what you want.

The only reason to buy 300 series boards is either pricing or a specific feature set that have been omitted from current 400 series boards (of which you give an example but if you don't need those things why bother?).

that's what I was saying...

So why are you talking that way with me?! 

So a bit more respect from your side is recommended.