Ram clearance issues with Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE? Need opinions & help!

Kjennings92

I really feel like I've been making progress on choosing the parts I want for my custom build! (Up until now that is.) But it seems like I've hit another roadblock. That's why I will need some expert opinions on this. The case I'm wanting to go with is obviously the Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE & the motherboard I'll use in this build will be an Asus ROG Striz Z370-F Gaming. I'm also wanting to have the Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler in here along with Corsair's Vengeance RGB ram (16 GB). I know if I were to use the Noctua in my case, it should fit leaving me with 5mm of clearance space. However, according to Noctua's website, it says if you wish to use it in dual fan mode it should be used with standard height ram up to 32mm. I'm not entirely sure how tall the Corsair Vengeance RGB ram is. I tried Googling it earlier, & I think the approximate height is 44mm. (Not sure if that's accurate or not. It might be.)

I did talk with Corsair directly earlier today & they told me it should fit with any issues, but I forgot to mention the RGB ram which is why I'm wanting 2nd opinions on this. So I was wondering if I would be able to fit both the cooler & the ram in my case without any clearance issues? if it won't work, then it looks like I'll be back to square 1. Hope someone can help!

The NH-D14 has metal brackets that can be taken off and put on the other way so you can still have it pull air through instead of pushing if the ram are too tall. Also you can adjust the fan higher so you get more RAM clearance, or have the fan moved so you can see your RGB RAM.

image.png.e959aaaec7e941414c05b51b88690ca1.png

So you're saying I could at least install the cooler in a different direction IF the ram height gets to be a problem? Or simply adjust the fan height? I wish I could buy all the parts I need to find out & start my build, but it's ever so frustrating when you're unemployed, trying to work towards your goals & find proper employment all at the same time! I feel like I'm going insane out of mere frustration.

On 7/3/2018 at 10:47 PM, Kjennings92 said:

I did talk with Corsair directly earlier today & they told me it should fit with any issues, but I forgot to mention the RGB ram which is why I'm wanting 2nd opinions on this. So I was wondering if I would be able to fit both the cooler & the ram in my case without any clearance issues? if it won't work, then it looks like I'll be back to square 1. Hope someone can help!

The cooler will fit in the case no problem, and with some clever positioning you can make the NH d15 fit taller ram too (ONLY if you're using two sticks)

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/cQhypg (<- This example is using the exact Vengeance kit you're using)

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Kcmqqs

TBH though, using such a big cooler obstructs your view of RAM, so I wouldnt bother with RGB ram sticks anyways. My advice is save the $$$ and just use Corsair's Vengeance LPX kit instead.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

That or I could just go with an air CPU cooler that's not quite so "beefy". Anyone have any good suggestions?

30 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

That or I could just go with an air CPU cooler that's not quite so "beefy". Anyone have any good suggestions?

For Less Beefy Coolers, Noctua Has their Own NH-U12 or U14, be quiet! has the Dark Rock 4, and Cryorig has the H5 and H7. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25