Samsung galaxy s8 vs s8+ vs s9

Boazie123

Hey guys,

I’m looking for a new phone but I’m still doubting which Samsung Galaxy S.. I should buy.

Prices here:

S8: €500

S8+: €570

S9: €600

Can anyone give me some advice or can someone give their thoughts about their phone if they have one of these? Thank you :)

Honestly I would pay the 100 to move the fingerprint scanner below the camera

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

Go with S9. Or Xiaomi Mi8 if you can get it. :D

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Go with S9. Or Xiaomi Mi8 if you can get it. :D

Xiaomi not getting sold here(Netherlands) unfortunately, but thanks for the advice.

8 minutes ago, Rupe said:

Hmm okay..

16 minutes ago, Boazie123 said:

Hey guys,

I’m looking for a new phone but I’m still doubting which Samsung Galaxy S.. I should buy.

Prices here:

S8: €500

S8+: €570

S9: €600

Can anyone give me some advice or can someone give their thoughts about their phone if they have one of these? Thank you :)

Does it specifically need to be one of those 3? I just upgraded from the S7 to the OnePlus 6 and I'm loving it so far, the phone is fast, snappy, smooth, and an all round great experience.

I ilke trains.

6 minutes ago, Boazie123 said:

Xiaomi not getting sold here(Netherlands) unfortunately, but thanks for the advice.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Mi8-6-21-Inch-6GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-398310.html

One hell of a phone without the price premium.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, Boazie123 said:

Hmm okay..

It's just a bit ridiculous that they ever thought putting  the fingerprint scanner to the side of the camera was ever a good idea and for me it is a deal breaker, it's one of those things that you might not see as a big deal, but it is, especially on the 8+ due to its size

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

2 minutes ago, MCManiac52 said:

Does it specifically need to be one of those 3? I just upgraded from the S7 to the OnePlus 6 and I'm loving it so far, the phone is fast, snappy, smooth, and an all round great experience.

Well I really want the 1440P display, good audio and a decent camera(where the OP6 loses to the galaxy), and I don’t think the Samsung Galaxy S8/S9 is that much slower, only in games probably.

1 minute ago, Rupe said:

It's just a bit ridiculous that they ever thought putting  the fingerprint scanner to the side of the camera was ever a good idea and for me it is a deal breaker, it's one of those things that you might not see as a big deal, but it is, especially on the 8+ due to its size

I worry about fingerprinting my camera on the OnePlus 6 and that already has the sensor underneath the camera so I can see how it would be really annoying having it to the side.

I ilke trains.

Alright guys thanks for the advice! I’ll let you know which phone I chose

5 minutes ago, Boazie123 said:

Well I really want the 1440P display, good audio and a decent camera(where the OP6 loses to the galaxy), and I don’t think the Samsung Galaxy S8/S9 is that much slower, only in games probably.

The one plus 6 is great value for money but it does not have 1440p screen, waterproofing, headphone jack and no notch (Edit: and of course wireless charging) so it you're willing to pay the extra there are reasons to go with the galaxy s8/9. You can always chuck on a custom launcher for a smooth experience

1 minute ago, Boazie123 said:

The phones will probably have similar performance so that's not much the worry about, the audio on the OnePlus is the best I've had on a smart phone, even with the single downwards firing speaker, it's very loud and the sound quality is surprisingly good. I've taken some really nice shots with the OnePlus 6 over the last couple of days, so depending on how much you use the camera, it may be enough, but that really will depend on what type of pictures you take too.

As for the screen, coming from the S7 with the 1440p display, I've not noticed any difference with the OP6's 1080p screen.

And don't forget, you're saving up to €200 with the OP6

I ilke trains.

1 minute ago, Rupe said:

The one plus 6 is great value for money but it does not have 1440p screen, waterproofing, headphone jack and no notch so it you're willing to pay the extra there are reasons to go with the galaxy s8/9. You can always chuck on a custom launcher for a smooth experience

You'd be surprised at how insignificant the notch on the OP6 is, i hated the iPhone X when it launched with the massive notch, but oneplus have handled it in such a way that it just doesn't get it the way.

The phone actually does have a headphone jack surprisingly :P

I ilke trains.

1 minute ago, MCManiac52 said:

The phones will probably have similar performance so that's not much the worry about, the audio on the OnePlus is the best I've had on a smart phone, even with the single downwards firing speaker, it's very loud and the sound quality is surprisingly good. I've taken some really nice shots with the OnePlus 6 over the last couple of days, so depending on how much you use the camera, it may be enough, but that really will depend on what type of pictures you take too.

As for the screen, coming from the S7 with the 1440p display, I've not noticed any difference with the OP6's 1080p screen.

And don't forget, you're saving up to €200 with the OP6

Here in the Netherlands I’m saving up €80 over the Galaxy S9. But thanks for your experiences with the OP6, it might change my decision.

25 minutes ago, Rupe said:

I actually like the placement of the scanner, I have big hands so I easly reach it with my finger 

2 minutes ago, MCManiac52 said:

You'd be surprised at how insignificant the notch on the OP6 is, i hated the iPhone X when it launched with the massive notch, but oneplus have handled it in such a way that it just doesn't get it the way.

The phone actually does have a headphone jack surprisingly :P

I believe the notch is removable  on the OP6 isn’t it?

Just now, wojtepanik said:

I actually like the placement of the scanner, I have big hands so I easly reach it with my finger 

I guess if your hand is big enough it’s fine but I’m kinda short, like really short

3 minutes ago, MCManiac52 said:

I'm no notch hater, I appreciate the efforts made to maximize screen space. But it doesn't look great and some would prefer just small bezels like on the S9 just something to consider but perhaps I shouldn't have listed it with the other omissions on the 1+6

2 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

You mean your hands are big enough and now you are used to it. No one is gonna convince me that its a good place for it, this is the hill I'm going to die on

37 minutes ago, Boazie123 said:

I believe the notch is removable  on the OP6 isn’t it?

It has different settings yeah, you can set it to never be used by apps(there's just a black background with the normal status bar info) you can allow apps to interact with it(most just change the colour of the status bar but don't actually use it) and you can force apps to fullscreen so they just act as if the notch isn't there. There's also a setting coming soon that will allow you to turn it off completely so that part of the screen turns off and the status bar is shown bellow it.

I ilke trains.