Why is Windows 10 hated?

kriplkára

Why is Windows 10 hated? Is it because of the Settings? The way how the Windows 10 "cares" about your privacy? It´s new update system? The bloatware that comes with the OS (Candy Crush)? Or is there another reason?

All of those things u said do contribute to the 'kinda dislike' of windows 10.But the OS is RAM guzzling and the bloatware just adds up to frustrate people. There's really a small amount of people that hate windows 10.

Imo there are a LOT of reasons why i hate W10

Here are a few:

It says it can run fine with 32GB of storage, but after a while it gets bloated and it can no longer update properly because it filled up the 32GB of storage.

Custom themes, quite dead. They changed a bunch of stuff in 1511 and since then the custom theme scene is basically dead. There are still some options but it's nowhere near to what it used to be. Only option i found is WindowsBlends, not free, not that many options but i guess it's something.

Forced updates? Really? I have seen enough students getting screwed by forced updates, not only during class but also during exams.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

The fact that it costs as much as operating systems of the past, yet added bloat, privacy concerns, and the fact that it is getting more and more difficult to have control over when and how your computer updates really seem to get people un-nerved.

Personally the fact that Microsoft disallows uninstallation of Cortana or Microsoft Edge really pisses me off. When you disable Cortana by deleting her files, you break the search function...oh and speaking of search function...seems the Windows 10 search is about as accurate as a blind sniper trying to hit a fly at 600 meters.

All that said though, I still run windows 10...because a lot of games need it...

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1) people don't clean install, then have a ton of issues and blame it on windows when it's actually their fault

2) people don't know how to look through the settings and turn off ads and suggestions and all that stuff

3) people don't know how to maintain their OS properly, and end up having 50 programs running in the background and then complain that the OS is slow (yeah I'm looking at you linus)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) people don't clean install, then have a ton of issues and blame it on windows when it's actually their fault

2) people don't know how to look through the settings and turn off ads and suggestions and all that stuff

3) people don't know how to maintain their OS properly, and end up having 50 programs running in the background and then complain that the OS is slow (yeah I'm looking at you linus)

Even if you "clean install" Windows 10 it still comes with a lot of bloat, quite a lot of encouragement to turn Cortana on, and sign up or sign into your Microsoft online account. Even after a fresh install, I'm running around the OS uninstalling and turning off crap.

The privacy settings are all over the place and unless you specifically turn them off, you're opted in by default.

Windows has always had problems with resource management. OS maintenance or not, if you install and use a lot of programs it will slow down regardless.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Forced updates? Really? I have seen enough students getting screwed by forced updates, not only during class but also during exams.

That's why your IT department should be installing Win10 Education onto student machines..

26 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

Personally the fact that Microsoft disallows uninstallation of Cortana or Microsoft Edge really pisses me off. When you disable Cortana by deleting her files, you break the search function...oh and speaking of search function...seems the Windows 10 search is about as accurate as a blind sniper trying to hit a fly at 600 meters.

All that said though, I still run windows 10...because a lot of games need it...

Win10 LTSB here, both of those components are removed by default and it's comfy. 

I've had Cortana disabled by default on all of my systems and the default search isn't bad, especially just for searching for apps or control panel components. 

idk

Depends. I had an issue with windows update doing a bootloop and then system restore into the boot loop (literally the never ending update, crash, system restore bootloop of death). I had to do some underhanded things to truly disable it after a rollback until they find a hotfix for the bootloop issue.

Also 14 of our 20 work computers suffered major issues after windows 10 updated which affected certain computers running intel SSDs. Microsoft has fixed this after a month of working on it.

I don't think people actually hate windows 10. I think it is just seen as a step backwards because of bloatware, cortana and such. Plus forced updates are annoying as shit as you can never turn off or turn on your computer in a fast and efficient manner without waiting for a stupid update. The stability of updates seems to be a make or break. It will update, programs won't work, it is a nightmare sometimes.

But nevertheless it isn't the worst....Vista and ME have a special place in hell.

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

*snip*

Win10 LTSB here, both of those components are removed by default and it's comfy. 

I've had Cortana disabled by default on all of my systems and the default search isn't bad, especially just for searching for apps or control panel components. 

It's nice if you have that option. However current branch users (mass majority of us) do not have those options.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, kriplkára said:

Is it because of the Settings? The way how the Windows 10 "cares" about your privacy? It´s new update system? The bloatware that comes with the OS (Candy Crush)? Or is there another reason?

All of the above. 

That being said, once you spend 10 minutes reading up on how to fine tune it to your liking, how to disable the updates and remove most of the bloatware, it becomes a nice operating system. 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

13 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

All of the above. 

That being said, once you spend 10 minutes reading up on how to fine tune it to your liking, how to disable the updates and remove most of the bloatware, it becomes a nice operating system. 

until the next update comes a year later then pretty much do the same things again 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

44 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

Even if you "clean install" Windows 10 it still comes with a lot of bloat, quite a lot of encouragement to turn Cortana on, and sign up or sign into your Microsoft online account. Even after a fresh install, I'm running around the OS uninstalling and turning off crap.

The privacy settings are all over the place and unless you specifically turn them off, you're opted in by default.

Windows has always had problems with resource management. OS maintenance or not, if you install and use a lot of programs it will slow down regardless.

Yes there is bloat, it comes with a few games which you can immediately uninstall in a few minutes.

No there is not "a lot of encouragement" there is literally one step where it asks you if you want to make it your personal assistant. Click no and it won't ask you again. You can even hide cortana from the taskbar with - wait for it - ONE RIGHT CLICK OF YOUR MOUSE! WOW!

Opted in by default is how literally everything on the internet works. As I said, everyone should take the time to go through the settings after first installing any OS.

Well obviously it will slow down if you have a ton of programs running. The point is that you should disable unnecessary stuff in the startup settings, regularly clean out temporary files, delete registry errors, uninstall programs you don't use anymore, etc etc etc

That kind of OS maintenance will keep windows 10 running with no problem for years.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

20 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yes there is bloat, it comes with a few games which you can immediately uninstall in a few minutes.

No there is not "a lot of encouragement" there is literally one step where it asks you if you want to make it your personal assistant. Click no and it won't ask you again. You can even hide cortana from the taskbar with - wait for it - ONE RIGHT CLICK OF YOUR MOUSE! WOW!

Opted in by default is how literally everything on the internet works. As I said, everyone should take the time to go through the settings after first installing any OS.

Well obviously it will slow down if you have a ton of programs running. The point is that you should disable unnecessary stuff in the startup settings, regularly clean out temporary files, delete registry errors, uninstall programs you don't use anymore, etc etc etc

That kind of OS maintenance will keep windows 10 running with no problem for years.

It shouldn't even come with the bloat in the first place. Windows 10 isn't free. Yet Microsoft is pushing crapware on to the end user. You think those companies didn't pay to have Microsoft automatically install that stuff on your fresh windows install?

Really? After I told Cortana no, I was asked another 2 times to turn her back on. Once after initial install showing up in notifications. Another time as soon as you click start for the first time. I know you can hide the Cortana search, I want to be able to uninstall it.

The point is you should not HAVE to disable unnecessary stuff or regularly clean your computer. The average user should be nowhere near the registry or be screwing with settings if they don't know what they're doing.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

I hate a few things about Win10:

• Hate that almost every major update adjust my system settings. It happened with 1803 again.
  • Hate that its a pain to disable a lot of stuff to increase privacy.
  • Hate forced updates on Win10 Home.
  • Seeming lack of QA testing.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

10 hours ago, Droidbot said:

That's why your IT department should be installing Win10 Education onto student machines..

Those are personal machines and not owned by the school.

You need to bring your own device to the exams and to class. The IT department can't just go ahead and install the software they want on those devices. It's not theirs.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

8 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

I hate a few things about Win10:

• Hate that almost every major update adjust my system settings. It happened with 1803 again.
  • Hate that its a pain to disable a lot of stuff to increase privacy.
  • Hate forced updates on Win10 Home.
  • Seeming lack of QA testing.

About QA, the lack of it is actually true, it's a fact. They used to have a big QA department to check the software for bugs but they got rid of it. The insider previews replaced that but as we know that's just a crappy alternative. 

Honestly, I don't have Windows 10. I don't care about the forced updates or much about the privacy issues. In my opinion there are far worse privacy concerns than Windows, even from services that I don't even directly use. That said, I didn't hate Vista when it came out.

13 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

You need to bring your own device to the exams and to class. The IT department can't just go ahead and install the software they want on those devices. It's not theirs.

That is the complete opposite approach to how the school I work in takes. Students are not allowed to bring in their own devices, they use the computer resources in the school and we supply the devices for the exams. The reasons are to stop thefts, bullying and most importantly to control student use, which is especially critical for both safeguarding and ensuring students don't cheat during exams (by going online...how are you going to stop a student Googling answers on their own device, especially if they have a mobile data connection for example?) With the school owned devices, I ensure that the correct software is on the devices, that there are no pending updates and that they don't have Internet access. If Internet access is required for an online exam, then only the specified sites can be accessed.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

36 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Even at schools with BYOD, many schools install new OSes on student devices.

Many schools (source: multiple friends) for example upgrade all student devices to Windows 10 Pro Education before deployment.

You go to their school. You have to sign an agreement somewhere relating to attendance, costs, and such, so many schools slide little disclaimers that IT has access to your devices that you use while attending.

We don't have BYOD, but we all run Pro Education and I'm forced to sign a fucking letter saying that I won't misuse the device and they have access to the hardware at any time for any purpose.

idk

1 hour ago, chiller15 said:

That is the complete opposite approach to how the school I work in takes. Students are not allowed to bring in their own devices, they use the computer resources in the school and we supply the devices for the exams. The reasons are to stop thefts, bullying and most importantly to control student use, which is especially critical for both safeguarding and ensuring students don't cheat during exams (by going online...how are you going to stop a student Googling answers on their own device, especially if they have a mobile data connection for example?) With the school owned devices, I ensure that the correct software is on the devices, that there are no pending updates and that they don't have Internet access. If Internet access is required for an online exam, then only the specified sites can be accessed.

Well theft isn't exactly an issue at my school, bullying doesn't happen either and we have very strict rules, but it's up to you to have the discipline to follow them.

Our school blocks most internet traffic for most students (no websites, only port blocking), but because i'm part of the IT class we get a different wi-fi network that allows a lot more (basically everything apart from illegal stuff like a rogue DNS server or AP). We are also allowed to torrent legal stuff like Kali if we need to :P What we do is still monitorred tho. If we use too much bandwidth we will get a visit from someone from school to warn you, and you only get 1 warning. Never heard of someone getting one tho.

The idea of our school is (sort of): cheating isn't allowed, but you can still do it if you want to, however if you get caught you will follow the consequences of it.

It's up to the students to get their sh*t together and to behave properly, if you don't you will get punished hard.

If you want to google an answer, go ahead, but if you get caught you are in big trouble because you'll end up at the exam commission and they can do anything from requiring you to re-take the exam or invalidating every exam you did that year, or kicking you out.

13 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Well theft isn't exactly an issue at my school, bullying doesn't happen either and we have very strict rules, but it's up to you to have the discipline to follow them.

Our school blocks most internet traffic for most students (no websites, only port blocking), but because i'm part of the IT class we get a different wi-fi network that allows a lot more (basically everything apart from illegal stuff like a rogue DNS server or AP). We are also allowed to torrent legal stuff like Kali if we need to :P What we do is still monitorred tho. If we use too much bandwidth we will get a visit from someone from school to warn you, and you only get 1 warning. Never heard of someone getting one tho.

The idea of our school is (sort of): cheating isn't allowed, but you can still do it if you want to, however if you get caught you will follow the consequences of it.

It's up to the students to get their sh*t together and to behave properly, if you don't you will get punished hard.

If you want to google an answer, go ahead, but if you get caught you are in big trouble because you'll end up at the exam commission and they can do anything from requiring you to re-take the exam or invalidating every exam you did that year, or kicking you out.

That really is poles apart from our stance. I have heavily restricted what the students can and cannot do on both the computers and Internet (we pay for an Internet filtering service which does most of this for us). Windows 10 has actually posed a challenge removing certain features, but it hasn't defeated me yet. I'm shortly about to test 1803 for deployment, with the aim to deploy site-wide in July/August.

I don't know what country you're in, but we are currently in exam season for our GCSEs (final school exams at age 15/16, before they leave school and go to college/higher education) and if a student is caught cheating, they could be disqualified from all of their exams exams, no matter the subject. It's a massive risk to take, as if caught you may end up with no qualifications whatsoever. We also do mock exams throughout the student's time at the school, and if a student is caught cheating during those mock exams, they may be suspended from the school.

12 hours ago, Enderman said:

people don't know how to look through the settings and turn off ads and suggestions and all that stuff

I do regular Windows installs, I can tell you that's what annoys me most. I can't even cancel the bloatware installs. I have to wait for it to install before I can remove it. It used to be that a fresh Windows install meant all the bloatware was removed. Now it means you have a bunch of bloatware that CAN'T be (fully) removed.

There are things I love about Windows 10 (beyond anything, the fact that there are builds, so I don't have to install years of updates like I am on a Vista machine right now), but the number of strings attached to it really hurt the value.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

It used to be that a fresh Windows install meant all the bloatware was removed. Now it means you have a bunch of bloatware that CAN'T be (fully) removed.

It is possible, though it isn't ideal. There are powershell scripts that can mount the ISO and modify the WIM to remove the AppX packages that install the bloatware. Then the modified WIM can be deployed to clients.

7 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

It is possible, though it isn't ideal. There are powershell scripts that can mount the ISO and modify the WIM to remove the AppX packages that install the bloatware. Then the modified WIM can be deployed to clients.

I meant officially, but the problem with that is you need to run it at every new build.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Well with 1 windows 10 instalation you can laugh when a problem apears, but when you are managing 30 windows and for 1 update you have 1 pc crashed (microsoft support coudnt do anything , only format , XDDD ) or updating all weeks when workers tell you that they putted on off-work hours , since new windows 10 updates i've have seen from different places 3 or 4 big crashes applying windows updates (need to format) , yes at the place I work , engineers tell me why they have games installed by default and adds on windows xDD, windows default apps are a nightmare (its like windows trying to tell you that windows doesnt like your default app) , and please please please why why why that huge amount of updates whyyyy? thats the biggest problem with windows 10 (yes you can scheudle to update when you want... but imagine you need to do a fast work someone lends you a laptop and suddenly laptop on 1 hour updating windows (happened to me with my boss laptop). Windows 10 updates are a nightmare for productivity and default apps and app management is garbage (in my experience), windows mail app is slow desync and worst mail app that I've seen (better webmail ffs) Its bad and getting worse by time...

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

I enter first hour to my job and I see my boss talking to microsoft in front of his laptop , he tells me "Microsoft is taking my laptop to fix it , it has an update error that is stuck updating windows (8:30 in the morning) I told him that there is no other way to solve that than format, 

18:00 : Boss : microsoft couldn't do anything I need to save my documents and format . Great microsoft geniuses

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.