Stuff's Melting Help

I was gaming. Smelt burning. Looked down. Molex connector is melting.

Its on an 8 pin to (double) molex adapter on the graphics card to PSU

Only one of the molex was plugged in 

It's melted

Corsair CX450M

Asus GTX 970

One guy had this problem but he had a crappy psu and i feel like this isn't my issue.

Another guy said on that post that connecting both molex's would share the power load and prevent overheating

Please help lads and ladies

26 minutes ago, tomtor900 said:

It's melted

Corsair CX450M

Asus GTX 970

One guy had this problem but he had a crappy psu and i feel like this isn't my issue.

Another guy said on that post that connecting both molex's would share the power load and prevent overheating

Please help lads and ladies

Sounds like the card was drawing more power than the cable could provide.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I never trust the molex to 6/8-pins. If your PSU doesn't come with any 6 or 8 pins it's already an indicator that it can't handle a very powerful GPU.

1 hour ago, tomtor900 said:

Sounds like someone that doesn't know what they're talking about. 

Don't use adapters, use the PCIe connectors on the PSU. The 970 is a 145W card, there will be no overheating. 

:)

That Corsair CX450M has the 8PIN power built in as mentioned before.

If it you use it for another PCI/PCI-E card using that Molex adapter isn't a good idea at all!

Getting a more powerful PSU would have been better, besides that someone didn't know how a power supply worked.

1 or 2 Molex plugs they still come from the same source, granted it might lessen the stress on the actual wire .. but that usually doesn't matter.

I'd replace the PSU.

Most certainly stop using the system!

Any further melting could short something out breaking that GTX970 or worse.

Next time remember this golden trick :

Dongles & Adapters are all fun 'n' games, until you realize they are made to fix a problem you created.

Apple could learn a thing .. or two .. or three from that.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

i used another molex adapter, plugging both molex's in. it doesnt melt now it just crashes

On 6/12/2018 at 1:32 AM, tomtor900 said:

It's melted

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 hours ago, tomtor900 said:

i used another molex adapter, plugging both molex's in. it doesnt melt now it just crashes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you never learn Ohm's law in school?

Molex melted because resistance of the adapter created heat.

Different Molex causes crashing because resistance causes drop in voltage.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT use adapters!!!!!!!!!!

The CX450M has a PCIe cable.  Why in the wide world of sports would you even THINK about using an adapter??????????

On 6/12/2018 at 4:07 AM, seon123 said:

Sounds like someone that doesn't know what they're talking about. 

Don't use adapters, use the PCIe connectors on the PSU. The 970 is a 145W card, there will be no overheating. 

If they were 2 separate Molex chains and the cabling was done properly He would be correct, though adapters in general are kinda dumb.

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

could you link me a picture of the pcie cable i need

the cable on the far left is a 6+2 PCIe harness to use, the other end plugs into the PSU '6+2 PCIE' (8-pin connector)

I I I I I I I I I I 

vvvvvvvvvvvv

slide 5 of 8,show larger image, performance, reliability, and the convenience of modular cabling for basic system upgrades

i plugged that one in and my games just run stupidly slow. just to confirm i plug the six pin and 2 pin together on the gpu and the 8 pin on psu

32 minutes ago, tomtor900 said:

i plugged that one in and my games just run stupidly slow. just to confirm i plug the six pin and 2 pin together on the gpu and the 8 pin on psu

Yes, that is exactly what you want to do.

Also, it causing your games to "run stupidly slow" isn't actually possible. It's either an unrelated issue or just in your head.

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 | MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio | STORAGE: 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX300 525gb, Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB | CASE: Phanteks P400s TG White | PSU: Corsair HX750i

Laptop - Dell XPS 13 | Intel i7 7500u | Intel HD 620 Graphics | 8GB RAM | 256GB M.2 SSD

Peripherals - KEYBOARD: KBD67 Lite w/Gateron Milky Yellow Pros | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder V2 | AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 6XX, Truthear Hexa | MONITOR: Dual 1440p 27" MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD

well ive done that and im not imagining things. 60 fps down to 10 since this whole issue started

29 minutes ago, tomtor900 said:

well ive done that and im not imagining things. 60 fps down to 10 since this whole issue started

Are you sure you didn't switch to integrated graphics somehow? As said, power is power. The cable will not slow down your GPU.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

how would i tell if i switched to integrated

also how do i switch back