What kind of idiot designed Google Drive? Cant even see the size of a folder!

Why are you telling us, tell Google!

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

12 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Why would they not implement a BASIC feature like displaying the size of a folder? What were they thinking?

It's that "New UI" clean design bullshit that's currently infesting UI designers like a bad plague these days.

"Let's hide all useful info, because that'll never go wrong!"

:dry:

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

What I find annoying is the trash can.

I ran out of space on one of my accounts and i started to delete files/folders, and nothing changed in the usage count. Google is evil and smart: when you delete files/folders they put it in the trash can, but don’t delete the files per say. So usage will count trash too. You have to go delete the files in trash as well. I think this is a inteligent/bad way to get people to pay for usage, saying that you don’t have space, but you have if you delete trash items.

I just checked and it is even more bizarre. It still has the "file size" label, but it is just -.

Also when you delete items they still take space.

Capture.thumb.PNG.222d065fc5bd7391bd6b1c44434e4f39.PNG

20 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

"what, is the size of this folder in my Google drive?"

"I don't know that!!"

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

35 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

It's that "New UI" clean design bullshit that's currently infesting UI designers like a bad plague these days.

"Let's hide all useful info, because that'll never go wrong!"

:dry:

Holy crap this is so true.

I absolutely HATE the clean design BS.

I mean, i still like the looks of XP. These days there are 2 options. Make it all white or make it all black.

Like, wtf is wrong with shades and colors?! I really hope this era of stupid design ends soon.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

12 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah, although I have stronger feelings against recent companies just having typefaces for their logos.

... oh, uhh no hard feelings otherwise, LMG

Logo's are also getting a bit silly these days. But luckily you don't need to look at a logo for hours and hours.

With a UI, you can't exactly stop looking at it because it's quite necessary to use whatever it is.

If you would have the option to change the theme, i wouldn't mind, but in W10 changing the theme and keeping it working is quite difficult.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

48 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

What I find annoying is the trash can.

I ran out of space on one of my accounts and i started to delete files/folders, and nothing changed in the usage count. Google is evil and smart: when you delete files/folders they put it in the trash can, but don’t delete the files per say. So usage will count trash too. You have to go delete the files in trash as well. I think this is a inteligent/bad way to get people to pay for usage, saying that you don’t have space, but you have if you delete trash items.

I get what you're saying, but lets not pretend that desktops don't have recycle bins. This is to prevent accidental deletes from being permanent, and while it may be frustrating for those who intend to delete something, going into the trash bin and deleting it isn't hard. This is a safety tradeoff for convenience.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

2 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Holy crap this is so true.

I absolutely HATE the clean design BS.

I mean, i still like the looks of XP. These days there are 2 options. Make it all white or make it all black.

Like, wtf is wrong with shades and colors?! I really hope this era of stupid design ends soon.

If you (the user) has to hunt around to find out how things work, then you (as the designer/dev) have failed.

Icons are meant to replace menus, and the icons are supposed to be a quick *logical* representation of the word(s) they are replacing. Tooltips were helpful too.

Good UI design. But it's all been ignored in favour of the "hamburger menu" and "clean UI"

Bad UI is still out there of course, look at LotusNotes in the early stages (warning, I am not responsible for your psychiatric bills....you have been warned)

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/0*bJpEaUR1xIJGh4al.

lotus-notes-categorized-inbox.jpg

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

49 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If you (the user) has to hunt around to find out how things work, then you (as the designer/dev) have failed.

Icons are meant to replace menus, and the icons are supposed to be a quick *logical* representation of the word(s) they are replacing. Tooltips were helpful too.

Good UI design. But it's all been ignored in favour of the "hamburger menu" and "clean UI"

Bad UI is still out there of course, look at LotusNotes in the early stages (warning, I am not responsible for your psychiatric bills....you have been warned)

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/0*bJpEaUR1xIJGh4al.

-snip-

Actually, taking about hunting down certain functionality. For some reason i can never find the explorer on some windows 10 machines.

Buttons like documents or this pc are nowhere near where i want them.

I usually have to open the trash bin or a random folder to get into explorer, not ideal...

Hamburger menu is like the worst form of modern UI, just give us the damn buttons! Absolutely hate it.

If microsoft launches a W10 version with an XP-style, i'll change instantly. I know my way around XP, i know my way around 7 but i just can't find my way around 10. The fact they move everything constantly makes it even more annoying because if you finally learned where something is and you need it a few months later, it's suddenly not there anymore, like WTF why did you move it?!

And in the end on W10 you usually end up in the old control panel anyway so what's the point of the stupid settings stuff that's already bloated AF.

42 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

If microsoft launches a W10 version with an XP-style,

Check out Windows 9

(it's Win8.1 embedded with a Win7 UI on top. It exists, I'm running it in a VM)

54 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Check out Windows 9

(it's Win8.1 embedded with a Win7 UI on top. It exists, I'm running it in a VM)

Problem is that amd doesn't support 8.1 anymore so i would be stuck on old drivers...

13 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Problem is that amd doesn't support 8.1 anymore so i would be stuck on old drivers...

Well that didn't take long to kill off support....

27 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

So basically AMD is forcing everyone on Windows 8.1 to go to the windows 10 route?

19 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

So basically AMD is forcing everyone on Windows 8.1 to go to the windows 10 route?

More likely Microsoft is putting pressure on them. They've tried to prevent people from installing Windows 7 on Kaby Lake.

Microsoft now makes its money from data collection. That means getting as many people on Windows 10 as possible.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

11 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

More likely Microsoft is putting pressure on them. They've tried to prevent people from installing Windows 7 on Kaby Lake.

But AMD still supports Windows 7, so what's with that?

12 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Microsoft now makes its money from data collection. That means getting as many people on Windows 10 as possible.

I think that everyone has alreacy figured that one out though ;)

2 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

But AMD still supports Windows 7, so what's with that?

They did Windows 7 support simply as a "f*ck you" to Intel, after they'd caved. This was right when Ryzen came out and they were trying to get as much good press as possible.

Demand for Windows 8 support isn't exactly high, and they're a much smaller company (they don't even own their headquarters anymore), so I can understand why they are focusing on other areas.

5 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

I think that everyone has alreacy figured that one out though ;)

You'd think so, but people are still surprised when I explain it to them. However, I was only saying it to back up my point about Microsoft likely being the reason.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

14 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Probably microsoft, i have 2 ryzen systems and both run W7 even tho microsoft officially doesn't support it.

AMD however does support it. All the drivers work fine and the system is perfectly stable. The 2nd generation ryzen however doesn't support W7, that one is W10 only, probably because of the crap microsoft threw at AMD by blocking W7 support...