One day before WWDC 2018: A MacBook Pro Geekbench result was spotted with core i7-8750H (6 cores/12 threads/45W TDP)

Sources: Apple Insider, Geekbench, Intel

5b149df5d45cc_Screenshot(83).thumb.png.a47dc94802e74f5926300d06b7444c02.png5b149df8d954e_Screenshot(84).png.6b7f5b27400f07246f3fb384744ff09f.png

A "MacBookPro14,3" device has appeared in Geekbench listings using Intel's Core i7-8750H processor, a part of the Coffee Lake family. The chip has a base clock speed of 2.21 gigahertz, slower than current Pros, but can boost up to 4.1 gigahertz and more crucially sports six cores — even a maximum-spec 2017-edition Pro is limited to four.

The laptop has a single-core score of 4,902, but a multi-core score of 22,316, putting it well beyond any other MacBook on Geekbench, the closest competition coming in at 16,999.

A MacBook Pro refresh is one of a number of anticipated announcements for WWDC. The last Pro update came in conjunction with WWDC 2017.

Notably, the "14,3" device is also listed as equipped with 32 gigabytes of DDR4 RAM, double the peak on 2017 Pros. It had been speculated that Apple would stick with a 16-gigabyte cap until later this year, if not 2019.

I remember when almost everyone in this forum was criticizing Apple for putting a dual core CPU on a 13" Pro machine as well as maxing the RAM to 16 GB to a 15" Pro machine notwithstanding the fact that mobile Skylake is maxed out to 16GB LPDDR3 on a single channel. Well it looks like Apple is finally giving everyone is dying for. I was hoping this will get the Intel processor with mobile Radeon Vega graphics plus HBM on a single substrate but it turns out that's reserved for the G series processors:

Intel® Core™ i7-8809G Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega M GH graphics

Intel® Core™ i7-8709G Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega M GH graphics

Intel® Core™ i7-8706G Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega M GL graphics

Intel® Core™ i7-8705G Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega M GL graphics

Intel® Core™ i5-8305G Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega M GL graphics

Which means either they'll use mobile RX 580 or mobile Vega graphics on the 15" MacBook Pro.

5b14a379e043b_Screenshot(86).png.90d30572416a65287ae3e2887a9b28ac.png

the image above is probably not happening with Apple including the rumored Mac mini refresh

And typical for Apple's design they'll probably use a the U series processors like the i5-8250U with 4 cores/8 threads/15W TDP and UHD Graphics 620 for the 13" touchbar and non-touchbar MacBook Pro. What's for sure is that none of these laptops will ever come cheap but probably the same price as to what Apple is pricing it now.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

That looks great :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

That 6c/12t seems great for video editing. I wonder if Adobe will enable the iGPU acceleration feature for Premiere Pro in Windows and bring it to the Mac?

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Aside from the fact that, you know, it's a MacBook...

Honestly, the I/O is terrible on those things. Besides that and the price, I have no problem with it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Honestly, the I/O is terrible on those things. Besides that and the price, I have no problem with it.

The price historically has been fairly competitive with other ultrabooks -- like Dell's XPS 13/15. Apple's big pricing issue stems from being incredibly slow to update.

And I/O is subjective, I'd rather have USB-C at this point (although magsafe USB-C and an SD card would be nice). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

The IO is great, thunderbolt 3 can be practically used with anything without the need for adapters.

Only problem is all the people who are afraid of change and don't know that you can use type C to almost anything else cables instead of adapters.

The price is pretty appropriate for something with those specs and build quality.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Other than the lack of SDXC card slot, what's wrong with two or four TB3 ports? Microsoft's Surface Book 2 doesn't even have TB3.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

And hopefully they improved the keyboard so keys don't fail from regular use.

Just now, Enderman said:

The IO is great, thunderbolt 3 can be practically used with anything without the need for adapters.

Only problem is all the people who are afraid of change and don't know that you can use type C to almost anything else cables instead of adapters.

The price is pretty appropriate for something with those specs and build quality.

The problem for me is the lack of ports.

I don't want to have to carry around a bunch of dongles and adapters with me.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

Other than the lack of SDXC card slot, what's wrong with two or four TB3 ports? Microsoft's Surface Book 2 doesn't even have TB3.

I'd like some Type A USB ports. HDMI would be nice too.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

And hopefully they improved the keyboard so keys don't fail from regular use.

As much as I'm not a fan of Apple's butterfly switches (both typing feel and durability), I doubt they'll bring back scissor switches for their laptops but more about tweaking it.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'd like some Type A USB ports. HDMI would be nice too.

Well Apple calls it "courage" but yes even one USB A would be nice. MacBook Pros from 2012 to 2015 used to have HDMI but Apple sees a racket in selling USB C dongles so there's that despite the fact that third party USB C dongles are better than what Apple sells.

You are making it sound like they weren't going to use vega graphics and 6 core or something, this is just as expected news.... 

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The problem for me is the lack of ports.

I don't want to have to carry around a bunch of dongles and adapters with me.

When do you have more than 4 things plugged into your laptop??

As I said earlier you don't need any dongles or adapters.

Just replace your type A cables with type C cables.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

Well Apple calls it "courage" but yes even one USB A would be nice. MacBook Pros from 2012 to 2015 used to have HDMI but Apple sees a racket in selling USB C dongles so there's that despite the fact that third party USB C dongles are better than what Apple sells.

I'm surprised they didn't switch to Lightning so they could make even more money off of dongles....

Just now, rawrdaysgoby said:

You are making it sound like they weren't going to use vega graphics and 6 core or something, this is just as expected news.... 

I was talking about how Apple is more likely not going to use the mobile Intel CPUs with Vega graphics in a single substrate.

Just now, Enderman said:

Keyboard, mouse, monitor. Occasionally a keyboard via USB to MIDI.

I have populated all my laptop's ports short of VGA, Ethernet, and audio in at the same time.

Finally a MacBook Pro with more than 2 cores and 4 threads? Long overdue I would say. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

:P look at those ports and dongles

image.png.25cad63a75c40d18cac7b69eb52de6af.png

Edited by captain_to_fire

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Keyboard, mouse, monitor. Occasionally a keyboard via USB to MIDI.

I have populated all my laptop's ports short of VGA, Ethernet, and audio in at the same time.

So you use your laptop as a desktop replacement?

In that case having a dock at home or one of those thunderbolt monitors with built in IO would be enough, no need to carry around any dongles, unless for some reason you carry a keyboard, mouse, and monitor around with your laptop.

In that case you're a pretty big exception.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I was talking about how Apple is more likely not going to use the mobile Intel CPUs with Vega graphics in a single substrate.

Oh on a single chip is what you meant Nvm then ehh wouldn't be strange at the same time

3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

:P

image.png.25cad63a75c40d18cac7b69eb52de6af.png

Even a windows laptop doesn't have that many USB ports.

My laptop has two, and I've only needed a third like twice in the past 3 years.

If that was your setup at home then it could be made a lot neater by using a multiport hub (so you only need 1 instead of 3) or one of those thunderbolt 3 monitors with IO on the back.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

So you use your laptop as a desktop replacement?

In that case having a dock at home or one of those thunderbolt monitors with built in IO would be enough, no need to carry around any dongles, unless for some reason you carry a keyboard, mouse, and monitor around with your laptop.

In that case you're a pretty big exception.

At the time, my laptop was (unfortunately) the most powerful machine I had. Docks didn't occur to me either, as I was fine with it the way it was.

I still carry my laptop places with me.

These days, I can use my desktop for pretty much everything except a few various tasks that I still have my laptop for. I tend to mostly use my laptop for papers, light gaming, light web browsing, calls via Discord/Skype/Hangouts, and occasionally play music from it while gaming on my desktop.

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

At the time, my laptop was (unfortunately) the most powerful machine I had. Docks didn't occur to me either, as I was fine with it the way it was.

I still carry my laptop places with me.

These days, I can use my desktop for pretty much everything except a few various tasks that I still have my laptop for. I tend to mostly use my laptop for papers, light gaming, light web browsing, calls via Discord/Skype/Hangouts, and occasionally play music from it while gaming on my desktop.

Exactly, and 4 ports + headphone jack is more than enough for a mobile device.

No need for dongles except maybe at home for much more IO, as you would with any other laptop (except one of those ugly thick gaming 10kg monstrosities).

If you need stuff like a mouse, you can get one with a removable cable and just swap the type A cable to a type C one.

No need for adapters.

People are just blindly hating on apple instead of using critical thinking to see that there actually isn't a problem.

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Finally a MacBook Pro with more than 2 cores and 4 threads? Long overdue I would say. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple will put the same Face ID in the iPhone X to the MacBook Pro and Apple can say "unlike our competitor's facial recognition, ours can't be defeated with a low res IR image".

I don't think Apple needs to put a fugly notch on their laptops just to have Face ID.