Environmental impact of wireless charging

YellowJersey

Meanwhile.....I have 4 wireless chargers 

Fite me 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Fite me

1043821_ReaperReaperOfficial_edged_on_neo_color.jpg.881073c259929f51a9a1fbd6778d69eb.jpg

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I have 4 wireless chargers 

5b10b6941e6a5_EmoPandaTFiWWY1.thumb.jpg.7a6f8ab3174114d9652b02f1d2a196ce.jpg

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

~snip~

I only bought one. The other 3 were included with the stuff I got 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 31.5.2018 at 6:07 AM, Mornincupofhate said:

This is like saying cell towers cause cancer. They don't. 

People worry too much about this stuff.

did you even read one single post here?

this is about the inefficiency that wireless charging has and will always have, you waste a huge portion of the energy just so you dont have to connect one singel wire.

On 31/05/2018 at 6:39 AM, YellowJersey said:

Thought this was rather interesting. It raises two interesting considerations. First, having your phone stuck to a charging pad is less convenient than having it plugged in. This is why I've always thought wireless charging has been gimmicky at best, hence why I've never seen the practical value in current wireless charging (First 5 minutes of the video cover this). However, the more important consideration is efficiency (Start at 5:00 in the video). The amount of extra electricity that needs to be generated to compensate for the inefficiencies of wireless charging is enormous, and this could have serious environmental implications.

I used to rag on wireless charging as a gimmick in the past, but now that I am trying it with my iPhone 8+, I see the value of it. I use it when charging my phone overnight, so the inability to use it while charging is a moot point. The draw is that if I wake up in the middle of the night, I am able to pick my phone off the table, look at it to check the time, then put it back on the charging pad without having to fiddle with cables in the dark. 

It's pretty convenient overall. 

It's not that efficient now, but give it time. It will only get better, and as others have pointed out, it only gets better from investment which requires sales. It's still a relatively new technology. It's rather short sighted to give up on it because it's currently not that efficient. 

On 5/30/2018 at 8:02 PM, Drak3 said:

Except wireless charging will always have that issue. Wired will not.

Like how wireless audio/video will ALWAYS be subject to more interference.

Like how wireless internet ALWAYS has higher lag and packet loss.

Advanced =/= better.

Haha, always eh? I'm pretty sure they said computers will always be huge back when they were the size of bedrooms, and yet now we have ones that are several multitudes more powerful that sit on the wrist. Don't be so short sighted. With advances it's very possible we'll see wireless charging reach parity. With 5G, we'll see a massive reduction in latency. Another 10 years, and it's highly probable it's as fast as wired for most uses. 

On 5/30/2018 at 9:04 PM, YellowJersey said:

Not to mention removing the headphone jack had less to do with advancing wireless tech as it did getting rid of a standard that apple couldn't make money off of and replacing it with proprietary tech that they can make money off of to the detriment of their customers and thereby basically reinventing the wheel.

When it comes to wireless charging, I get that people want convenience, but when it comes to wireless charging, it comes with a significant cost that's not readily apparent. Again, for many applications, wireless charging seems reinventing the wheel rather than providing a substantial benefit. That said, there are certain applications where wireless charging does have benefit.

There's nothing proprietary about Bluetooth. So. No, that's not entirely the reason they did that. They've said for years they'd like to eliminate all cables from their phones. That's a step towards that. 

Yes, there's a cost associated to convenience. A lot of people are more than willing to pay for it. 

22 hours ago, helgehelge123 said:

I'm not really careful with my devices. If I buy something i wanna use it efficiently, not carefully, thus I jammed the plug in there. 

I know it's my fault, but the wireless charging dock solves that problem for me.

If you're breaking it, it's not really efficient, is it. You consider taking the extra split second to be careful am inconvenience? Unbelievable. 

3 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

did you even read one single post here?

this is about the inefficiency that wireless charging has and will always have, you waste a huge portion of the energy just so you dont have to connect one singel wire.

Haha, always will have is a very short sighted, ignorant stance to have. 

1 hour ago, abazigal said:

I used to rag on wireless charging as a gimmick in the past, but now that I am trying it with my iPhone 8+, I see the value of it. I use it when charging my phone overnight, so the inability to use it while charging is a moot point. The draw is that if I wake up in the middle of the night, I am able to pick my phone off the table, look at it to check the time, then put it back on the charging pad without having to fiddle with cables in the dark. 

It's pretty convenient overall. 

Or you could buy an alarm clock. Or a tritium tubed watch. Or fast charge it when you wake up. Loads of other options...which, given most current wireless chargers, are probably better. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Good that other people care about the environment because I don´t, so I can keep throwing my stuff away without sorting it properly.

59 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Good that other people care about the environment because I don´t, so I can keep throwing my stuff away without sorting it properly.

Where I live, the waste management company sorts it all regardless.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

56 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Where I live, the waste management company sorts it all regardless.

Yes, here in German also.

We have to presort our trash into different bags first. However, if there they see that is too many wrong trash in one bag then they can refuse to take it with them. Maye even issue a fine. 

This is however not my concern since I live in a high-rise where nobody can track the waste producer back as long as you don´t leave something with your name on it. ;)