SanDisk 64GB USB Stick is too small for 7GB file?

Go to solution Solved by AvocadosGuac,
Just now, Hip said:

Hey guys,

I have bought 3 SanDisk USB Sticks with 64GB each, and all of them say that the storage is not enough, even for small files like 7GB.

I bought them at Amazon, they are no fakes!

Do I have to format them first or what should I do now?

Thanks in advance!!

Format them in ntfs.

Right click on drive-Format-Should be set to fat/fat 32. change that to ntfs and hit format

Hey guys,

I have bought 3 SanDisk USB Sticks with 64GB each, and all of them say that the storage is not enough, even for small files like 7GB.

Thanks in advance!!

Just now, Hip said:

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!!

Format them in ntfs.

Right click on drive-Format-Should be set to fat/fat 32. change that to ntfs and hit format

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

If you have the option to copy data to them then they're already formatted. If you check the properties does it say NTFS or FAT32?

Just now, Windows7ge said:

If you have the option to copy data to them then they're already formatted. If you check the properties does it say NTFS or FAT32?

It says FAT32.

Just now, Hip said:

It says FAT32.

You cannot transfer any file larger than 4GB when it's in FAT32 format. Format it to NTFS and you're good to go.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

3 minutes ago, Hip said:

It says FAT32.

There's your problem. The FAT32 file system is (for the most part) outdated and only allows files up to 4GB in size to be copied or moved to it. Reformat it to NTFS like Jrock said.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

There's your problem. The FAT32 file system is (for the most part) outdated and only allows files up to 4GB in size to be copied or moved to it. Reformat it to NTFS like Jrock said.

Thank you all! It works!! :-)

p.s.  one USB stick was in ex-FAT, the other in FAT32, even though they were the same. Why?

3 minutes ago, Hip said:

p.s.  one USB stick was in ex-FAT, the other in FAT32, even though they were the same. Why?

Unfortunately this is a bit of a history lesson even for me. I only got into computers right around 9~10 years ago (2008~2009). exFAT or (Extended File Allocation Table) with a quick Google Search appears to have been the successor to FAT32 with similar file size restrictions but used in scenarios where NTFS isn't viable.

As to why your identical drives are using different file systems out of the box...that is a very good question. From my experience traditionally drives be them thumb drives, hard drives, or solid state drives, brand new out of the box have no partition on them at all. This kind of makes sense because the vendor doesn't know what the application for the drive is. Allowing the user to set that up makes things easier for everyone. I can only guess you might have gotten two drives that were in between transitions. What I mean is the company decided to use a different default file system and you just got an old one and a new one. This probably isn't the reason but I can't see why the company would ship drives with two different file systems purposefully. Honestly they should ship all of them with NTFS or with no partition at all. Either way it is a fairly easy thing to fix.

I'm actually surprised how quickly we resolved your issue. It was like a record time. Usually we have to talk to users over the course of a couple hours before any real progress is made towards a resolution. Sometimes it takes days.

31 minutes ago, Hip said:

Thank you all! It works!! :-)

Ex-fat will work too. 

Did you format them yourself, or you're saying they were different formats out of the box? 

If so that is pretty interesting, not sure why that would be. 

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

1 hour ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

Ex-fat will work too. 

Did you format them yourself, or you're saying they were different formats out of the box? 

If so that is pretty interesting, not sure why that would be. 

They had different formats out of the box!

I bought 2x SanDisk Ultra (FAT32, ex-FAT)  and 1x SanDisk Ultra Flair (FAT32).

I formated all to NTFS.