I can't use the Discord due to not having a phone # that Discord will accept

pangaea

In order to have a verified phone on your Discord account (required for the official LTT Discord), you have to have a phone number that isn't prepaid or VOIP. My cellphone is on a prepaid plan and I don't have a POTS (old school land line) phone either. So I would request that you lift this restriction since I don't think it's reasonable to expect everyone to have a phone number that isn't prepaid or VOIP.

Home desktop: AMD FX-6350 CPU, AMD 7950 GPU, 12GB DDR3 RAM, 2x250GB SSD (RAID 0) for main drive, 1TB HDD for extra storage, Windows 10

Work desktop: Intel Q8400 core 2 quad CPU, Nvidia GeForce 8400GS Rev 2 GPU, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB SSD for main drive, 250GB HDD for extra storage, Linux Mint 18.3

Personal Laptop: Lenovo W540; bought a used workstation laptop on eBay that just needed a hard drive for half of what they were going for in working order at the time. Intel i7 vPro, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SSD

I'm pretty sure it's a discord requirement. Yes LTT can allow unverified accounts, but that opens them up to spammers and botted accounts by the masses.

But Discord is the one that had the specific phone requirements, LTT had no control over that. Not sure if they can make exception per user though.

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

I'm pretty sure it's a discord requirement. Yes LTT can allow unverified accounts, but that opens them up to spammers and botted accounts by the masses.

But Discord is the one that had the specific phone requirements, LTT had no control over that. Not sure if they can make exception per user though.

Discord probably has it set up this way because prepaid and VOIP are commonly used as "burner" numbers. But this does present a problem with users like me who only have a prepaid or VOIP phone. Having a verified email and LTT forum (perhaps one that's had some activity or has been around for a few days) account would be enough I think. I'm in a fair amount of totally public Discords that have zero problems with spambots.

Home desktop: AMD FX-6350 CPU, AMD 7950 GPU, 12GB DDR3 RAM, 2x250GB SSD (RAID 0) for main drive, 1TB HDD for extra storage, Windows 10

Work desktop: Intel Q8400 core 2 quad CPU, Nvidia GeForce 8400GS Rev 2 GPU, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB SSD for main drive, 250GB HDD for extra storage, Linux Mint 18.3

Personal Laptop: Lenovo W540; bought a used workstation laptop on eBay that just needed a hard drive for half of what they were going for in working order at the time. Intel i7 vPro, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SSD

Do you have a parent with a standard number that could work? What about subconscious your account to 2 factor authentication with GAuthenticate.

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Do you have a parent with a standard number that could work? What about subconscious your account to 2 factor authentication with GAuthenticate.

I don't regularly use gmail as I have my own email server so I didn't bother securing my Google account with 2FA. Don't see how that would help though. Borrowing someone else's phone to verify my Discord seems like a lot of trouble and would put them in a similar situation should they use Discord. I don't ever plan on switching to a conventional cell plan for myself unless they offer prices that can compete with prepaid (I have friends who pay $50/month or more when I only pay $20/month for similar or sometimes better service).

It really bites my ample asset when companies assume everyone has a smart phone.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Just now, Lady Fitzgerald said:

It really bites my ample asset when companies assume everyone has a smart phone.

They allow verification on landlines/call-only phones via automated phone call if I'm not mistaken but assuming everyone has a phone that isn't VOIP or prepaid is an even worse assumption and takes the problem a step further IMO.

37 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I don't get why. 95% of people own a cell phone of some sort and most of the 5% who don't probably know someone who does. 

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 hour ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

I don't get why. 95% of people own a cell phone of some sort and most of the 5% who don't probably know someone who does. 

But again, that is not issue. Problem are spammers. I guess main reason why prepaids are blocked is that they are so easy to get. You can get 10 prepaids for €100 here. Thats 10 verified accounts to spam.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

19 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

But again, that is not issue. Problem are spammers. I guess main reason why prepaids are blocked is that they are so easy to get. You can get 10 prepaids for €100 here. Thats 10 verified accounts to spam.

Interesting thought. Didn't think spammers were a big problem on Discord  - never had an issue with spam on discord but  I only use it to keep in touch with a few friends so...

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

4 hours ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

But only 77% have smart phones. Even then, that doeesn't address being blocked becasue of being on a pay as you go plan.

3 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Ironically, the reason I ditched my landline and replaced it with a home connect cellular system (a "cell phone" designed to connect to landline style phones) was to get away froom robocalling phone spammers. Saving almost $15 a month plus no longer paying for long distance calls was a bonus.

My mobile phone is a pay as you go talk only flip phone (I disabled texting and voice mail to avoid phone spammers; flip phones don't "butt dial" and fit my purse or pockets better) that costs me only $5.45.  It stays turned off until I'm actually going to use it, which is rarely (the first call of a day $1.99 and remaining calls that day are free). Unused time rolls over indefinitely.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Ironically, the reason I ditched my landline and replaced it with a home connect cellular system (a "cell phone" designed to connect to landline style phones) was to get away froom robocalling phone spammers. Saving almost $15 a month plus no longer paying for long distance calls was a bonus.

Cool. Who makes those?

She/they 

4 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

You don't have to have a smart phone to have a phone number. I've got a buddy still rocking the Nokia flip phone, doesn't use data users Ting, and doesn't pay much. Don't have to have a smart phone to receive a text message to verify.

18 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

You don't have to have a smart phone to have a phone number. I've got a buddy still rocking the Nokia flip phone, doesn't use data users Ting, and doesn't pay much. Don't have to have a smart phone to receive a text message to verify.

Read my last previous post.

Jeannie

20 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Cool. Who makes those?

Straight Talk. You get them through Wally World (aka Walmart). Mine is several years old and is an older model (has only one antenna) than the one being sold now (I also picked a couple of refurbished ones for spares when they were on sale).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-ZTE-Home-Phone-Z723EL/567593229

Jeannie

31 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Straight Talk. You get them through Wally World (aka Walmart). Mine is several years old and is an older model (has only one antenna) than the one being sold now (I also picked a couple of refurbished ones for spares when they were on sale).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-ZTE-Home-Phone-Z723EL/567593229

Nice

She/they 

iirc you can link your LTT account to discord in settings and then you won't need a verified discord account

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

• 1 year later...
On 5/26/2018 at 8:16 PM, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Cool. Who makes those?

Most phone service providers have the option to enable call-forwarding, by default, by accessing it through your voicemail settings. This method also allows call-forwarding to any number.