Your CPU of Choice for Gaming/Streaming/Productivity  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Your CPU of Choice for Gaming/Streaming/Productivity

• Intel Core i7-7700k
    • Ryzen 7 1700x
    • Intel Core i7-8700k
    • Ryzen 7 2700x

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on May 31, 2018 at 12:00 PM

Your CPU of Choice for Gaming/Streaming/Productivity

I would personally get Ryzen 7 2700x 

2700x, more cores and more threads. In streaming and productivity workloads those extra cores will be properly used.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

a rule of thumb.

For Amd: productivity, streaming and other core heavy tasks.

For Intel: Gaming, certain productivity tasks, stability in certain VM software and other specific task that dont react well to Ryzen due to bad optimization or other reasons

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

a rule of thumb.

For Amd: productivity, streaming and other core heavy tasks.

For Intel: Gaming, certain productivity tasks, stability in certain VM software and other specific task that dont react well to Ryzen due to bad optimization or other reasons

True, but since I'm a designer and a gamer at the same time i need to use those extra cores and the 4Ghz clock speed for some additional gaming performance at the same time.

why it the 7700k even an option :D

Best regards

New Desktop Project (currently work in process)

CPU: Intel Xeon E7-4890V2 @ 3,4GHz (1 of 4)

Mainboard: Supermicro X10QBI

Memory: 32GB DDR3 Reg.  

GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 (2 of 4)

PSU: Corsair HX1200i

Case: Motherboardbox

8700k, unless you do all these things at once.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2700X is dank but I already have a 1700X :P.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

2700X is dank but I already have a 1700X :P.

I'm building a new pc soz XDDDD

41 minutes ago, Blissed said:

why it the 7700k even an option :D

Best regards

because last gen i guess. 4 core is out-dated this gen and is considered entry level. which it really should have been many years ago..........

3 hours ago, wojtepanik said:

i am rocking i7 920, x58 FTW

Aww yess... Bloomfield/Lynfield present! My X3470 is still going strong xD

On topic:
Personally I would pick the Intel, if money is not in the equation. If things are  well optimized then the Ryzen will be like 5% better. In all other situations that Intel is simply going to be faster since it is about 25% faster if you use a program that utilizes less than 12 logical cores.

However, you can't go wrong with either of them. Throw dice, pick a colour you like...

I currently am rocking the locked i7 8700 as the way I see it offers more value than the unlocked variant.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I currently am rocking the locked i7 8700 as the way I see it offers more value than the unlocked variant.

you mean value for the money* ;)

Technically the 8700k has a higher value.

Right?

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

I currently have a R7 1700X for all but the streaming part. I picked 2700X because it is a bit better had it existed back when I built my system that would be my choice.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Just now, BarackOBatman said:

Value for the money*

Technically the 8700k has a higher value.

Right?

Nah... value and cost are different things hehe, though yes "value for money" as the expression goes.

The i7 8700 can sustain 4.4ghz while using a cheap aftermarket cooler and a b360 board, it's good enough and money savings are real to the point it's the same cost effective as Ryzen.

And then you have the best of both worlds: i7 7700K stock single thread performance and Ryzen 7 1700X stock multi-threading performance... so yeah productivity? nah stay Intel just don't pay the premium pointless tag for overclocking any more.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Nah... value and cost are different things hehe, though yes "value for money" as the expression goes.

The i7 8700 can sustain 4.4ghz while using a cheap aftermarket cooler and a b360 board, it's good enough and money savings are real to the point it's the same cost effective as Ryzen.

And then you have the best of both worlds: i7 7700K stock single thread performance and Ryzen 7 1700X stock multi-threading performance... so yeah productivity? nah stay Intel just don't pay the premium pointless tag for overclocking any more.

I do not disagree and i see where you're coming from. One could argue that Value and Cost go hand in hand though.

By definition, to value something is: 

verb

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

Hey, just signed up to the form and not sure how to navigate it completely yet so i hope i'm not asking my question in the wrong place. 

I'm building my first gaming P.C and i'm not sure what processor to go with, I do know that i want it to be an Intel but I don't know should it be i5 or i7

Please help i'm getting overwhelmed.

12 minutes ago, defozzyone said:

Hey, just signed up to the form and not sure how to navigate it completely yet so i hope i'm not asking my question in the wrong place. 

I'm building my first gaming P.C and i'm not sure what processor to go with, I do know that i want it to be an Intel but I don't know should it be i5 or i7

Please help i'm getting overwhelmed.

Welcome to the forum!

Not trying to further overwhelm you, but this question could probably go in  "New Builds and Planning" on the forum.

To answer your question. It depends... 

Which games, what frame rates to target, are there any other things you want to use your pc for? (example: video rendering, CAD, or Streaming to twitch)

But for a run of the mill entry-mid level gaming only PC, I'd recommend an Intel 8th gen i3 or i5 (or 7th gen and earlier i5.) Since you know for sure you want intel, i wont recommend anything from AMD.

Be sure you get a compatible motherboard! :)

9 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

Welcome to the forum!

Not trying to further overwhelm you, but this question could probably go in  "New Builds and Planning" on the forum.

To answer your question. It depends... 

Which games, what frame rates to target, are there any other things you want to use your pc for? (example: video rendering, CAD, or Streaming to twitch)

But for a run of the mill entry-mid level gaming only PC, I'd recommend an Intel 8th gen i3 or i5 (or 7th gen and earlier i5.) Since you know for sure you want intel, i wont recommend anything from AMD.

Be sure you get a compatible motherboard! :)

Hey,

thanks for the speedy reply on this. I knew I'd post in the wrong place. I'll head over there and ask in the proper chat. Thanks so much for the help

13 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

13 hours ago, Pyramiden said:

Aww yess... Bloomfield/Lynfield present! My X3470 is still going strong xD

On topic:
Personally I would pick the Intel, if money is not in the equation. If things are  well optimized then the Ryzen will be like 5% better. In all other situations that Intel is simply going to be faster since it is about 25% faster if you use a program that utilizes less than 12 logical cores.

However, you can't go wrong with either of them. Throw dice, pick a colour you like...

all right boys..this is not intel or ryzen fan wars alright? I love both companies and I know that Intel is more optimized  for gaming. but for me I prefer the 2700x because of the 2 extra cores. I wont be overclocking the cpu over it's usual limits which would be 4ghz in the r7 2700x. I'm enough with that. I don't want to risk anything else. Jesus..just don't argue about which is better or not. Both are great companies and I know that Intel give more performance but I do productivity at the same. I'd use the 2700x for my useage which is productivity/gaming/streaming. gaming will take up the 4 cores and other 4 cores will do the encoding when streaming at 6mbps with x.264 encoder on OBS for me so those extra cores are essential for me. Look at the question on the pol i posted. The question here is which one will you choose if you are going to do gaming/streaming/productivity. by means not the clock speed or the performance..it's most likely to be the cores. 8700k is really good and I'd get it but the extra 2 cores really kills it for me. It's your opinions here so I wont say any more but anyways just don't argue with the fan boy wars XDDDDD

3 hours ago, Andrew Park said:

all right boys..this is not intel or ryzen fan wars alright? I love both companies and I know that Intel is more optimized  for gaming. but for me I prefer the 2700x because of the 2 extra cores. I wont be overclocking the cpu over it's usual limits which would be 4ghz in the r7 2700x. I'm enough with that. I don't want to risk anything else. Jesus..just don't argue about which is better or not. Both are great companies and I know that Intel give more performance but I do productivity at the same. I'd use the 2700x for my useage which is productivity/gaming/streaming. gaming will take up the 4 cores and other 4 cores will do the encoding when streaming at 6mbps with x.264 encoder on OBS for me so those extra cores are essential for me. Look at the question on the pol i posted. The question here is which one will you choose if you are going to do gaming/streaming/productivity. by means not the clock speed or the performance..it's most likely to be the cores. 8700k is really good and I'd get it but the extra 2 cores really kills it for me. It's your opinions here so I wont say any more but anyways just don't argue with the fan boy wars XDDDDD

You literally quote me writing: "However, you can't go wrong with either of them. Throw dice, pick a colour you like...", and the other users say the differences are minimal as well, so I really don't get why you call it a fan war, since it looks like a normal discussion, and not a fan war at all ;-)

Preferring Ryzen because you prefer the color red or  likewords that contain a "Y" would make perfect sense. However, picking Ryzen because it has more cores does not. Those extra cores will simply not make a difference in terms of performance, because the overall performance of the chip at full load is very similar.

People answered your question: "The question here is which one will you choose if you are going to do gaming/streaming/productivity." However it appears they did not give the answer you wanted to have. If I would have to guess I would say that you had already picked the Ryzen, and just wanted to justify your choice.

1 hour ago, Pyramiden said:

You literally quote me writing: "However, you can't go wrong with either of them. Throw dice, pick a colour you like...", and the other users say the differences are minimal as well, so I really don't get why you call it a fan war, since it looks like a normal discussion, and not a fan war at all ;-)

Preferring Ryzen because you prefer the color red or  likewords that contain a "Y" would make perfect sense. However, picking Ryzen because it has more cores does not. Those extra cores will simply not make a difference in terms of performance, because the overall performance of the chip at full load is very similar.

People answered your question: "The question here is which one will you choose if you are going to do gaming/streaming/productivity." However it appears they did not give the answer you wanted to have. If I would have to guess I would say that you had already picked the Ryzen, and just wanted to justify your choice.

Lol thanks for sharing that. Yes I already chose ryzen but at the same time I want intel's gaming performance..I would like to get upto 5ghz on gaming rather than 4.3ghz max boost on the ryzen but with extra 2 cores. I have to choose which to use. I don't want to have two systems for streaming which is better if I'll be streaming though. But for productivity I want those extra cores of ryzen so it just gives me a conflict on which one so that's why I posted this pole to see what would people choose.

11 minutes ago, Andrew Park said:

Lol thanks for sharing that. Yes I already chose ryzen but at the same time I want intel's gaming performance..I would like to get upto 5ghz on gaming rather than 4.3ghz max boost on the ryzen but with extra 2 cores. I have to choose which to use. I don't want to have two systems for streaming which is better if I'll be streaming though. But for productivity I want those extra cores of ryzen so it just gives me a conflict on which one so that's why I posted this pole to see what would people choose.

They will both perform fine for both gaming and streaming... You spend about €330 on a high-end CPU... Of course it will be sufficient...
Honestly, I think both of those CPU's are probably overkill for what you are going to use them for. You are not going to bottleneck on either playing any modern game on high settings. I even use that Xeon X3470 for gaming, which is 3.5x as slow as the Ryzen, and I run most games on high or ultra with plenty FPS. Unless you are going to edit 4K video or edit or render massive CAD files I doubt you will get close to the full potential of the processor.

6 minutes ago, Pyramiden said:

They will both perform fine for both gaming and streaming... You spend about €330 on a high-end CPU... Of course it will be sufficient...
Honestly, I think both of those CPU's are probably overkill for what you are going to use them for. You are not going to bottleneck on either playing any modern game on high settings. I even use that Xeon X3470 for gaming, which is 3.5x as slow as the Ryzen, and I run most games on high or ultra with plenty FPS. Unless you are going to edit 4K video or edit or render massive CAD files I doubt you will get close to the full potential of the processor.

I wont be playing most games in high settings since I like being competitive which means that I will be using the settings that is good for spotting enemies. So I won't be really caring about graphics. I just need most of the games that I'll play will go over 144fps since I will be using a 144hz gaming monitor with the max fps set to 144fps for the games so that I wont have to use V sync but at the same time get the full potential of 144hz

2700x will be better at rendering and softwares which are coded for multi threading

i7 8700k will be "better" on more or less games and softwares which are designed for lower cores

idk if you will even notice a difference between 2700x and 8700k in gaming..maybe 5-6 fps difference on some games,but that's nothing.I never had Intel cpu and I'm using 2700x atm..it just does perfect job for me