Your CPU of Choice for Gaming/Streaming/Productivity  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Your CPU of Choice for Gaming/Streaming/Productivity

• Intel Core i7-7700k
    • Ryzen 7 1700x
    • Intel Core i7-8700k
    • Ryzen 7 2700x

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on May 31, 2018 at 12:00 PM

33 minutes ago, sample text said:

2700x will be better at rendering and softwares which are coded for multi threading

i7 8700k will be "better" on more or less fames and softwares which are designed for lower cores

idk if you will even notice a difference between 2700x and 8700k in gaming..maybe 5-6 fps difference on some games,but that's nothing.I never had Intel cpu and I'm using 2700x atm..it's just does perfect job for me

nope its completly dependend on the settings, ok 1440p does already limit your FPS to the performance of your GPU by a very good amount, but when playing on "low" settings or considering upgrades to faster GPU's in the future the difference is considerably larger than 5-6FPS. 5-6FPS is maybe the difference on 1440p Ultra game settings in favor of the Intel at stock clocks right now.

But who would buy a 8700k without overclocking it? And who is running games almost always on Ultra? Since most games doesnt look bad on lower settings nowdays with a lot better overall performance not only from the amount of FPS but also better frametimes because games are more optimized for the lower settings.

You are right that the 2700x is fine though, but when considering serious competitive gaming its just not as desirable and it'll just age faster than the 8700k because of the headroom the 8700k delivers especially considering overclocking. So if you can live with ~25% less fps in competitive gaming and having a CPU that wont last as long as the 8700k for gaming but you need the two extra cores for whatever reason its fine.

Its the same thing people are discussing for years when they had to chose between Desktop vs HEDT Platform. And the same stuff that happens to the FX-Series CPUs will happen to Ryzen, it will last a good amount of time but will fall behind when faster Graphics Cards are getting released while the Intel will still hold strong. Thats exactly what happened with the 10series Nvidia Card releases and the i7 2600k vs any FX-Series CPU. GTX1070 gets bottlenecked by a 2600k regardless of its OC, FX-Series already bottlenecks a GTX970. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So when people are talking about "future proofing" its all about: "will Intels CPU last as long as buying a new AMD CPU when it gets released which i can pay for and still use the same plattform"

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

3 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

nope its completly dependend on the settings, ok 1440p does already limit your FPS to the performance of your GPU by a very good amount, but when playing on "low" settings or considering upgrades to a faster GPU's in the future the difference is considerably larger than 5-6FPS. 5-6FPS is maybe the difference on 1440p Ultra game settings in favor of the Intel at stock clocks.

But who would buy a 8700k without overclocking it? And who is running games almost always on Ultra? Since most games doesnt look bad on lower settings nowdays with a lot better overall performance not only the amount of FPS but also frametimes because games are more optimized for the lower settings.

You are right that the 2700x is fine though, but when considering serious competitive gaming its just not as desirable and it'll just age faster than the 8700k because of the headroom the 8700k delivers especially considering overclocking. So if you can live with ~25% less fps in competitive gaming and having a CPU that wont last as long as the 8700k for gaming but need the two extra cores for whatever reason its fine.

Its the same thing people are discussing for years when they had to chose between Desktop vs HEDT Platform. And the same stuff that happens to the FX-Series CPUs will happen to Ryzen, it will last a good amount of time but will fall behind when faster Graphics Cards are getting released while the Intel will still hold strong. Thats exactly what happened with the 10series Nvidia Card releases and the i7 2600k vs any FX-Series CPU. GTX1070 gets bottlenecked by a 2600k regardless of its OC, FX-Series already bottlenecks a GTX970. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So when people are talking about "future proofing" its all about: "will Intels CPU last as long as buying a new AMD CPU when it gets released which i can pay for and still use the same plattform"

I totally agree at this point right here, well it depends on the people of what they are going to use it for. I love to game and I would love more performance in gaming for the extra cores and I don't really care about waiting for the videos to render after editing but I want to stream. Which means that I would have to get another PC for stream encoding maybe using ryzen 5 1600x for the cpu and just an mini itx case in a size of a console for the looks on the desk. So that would cost me more now..I could even go for i5-8600k for gaming and ryzen 5 for encoding so that the budget will be great enough. But I'm not so sure about which one to buy..ryzen or intel..I want gaming peformance as well and stream quality and productivity which doesn't really matter at this point now..since I can wait and I don't really care about the extra time that will be reduced by only about 2min from the 8700k. So this is getting hard to choose. I posted this poll for fun and for some reason to see what would people suggest.

18 minutes ago, Andrew Park said:

I totally agree at this point right here, well it depends on the people of what they are going to use it for. I love to game and I would love more performance in gaming for the extra cores and I don't really care about waiting for the videos to render after editing but I want to stream. Which means that I would have to get another PC for stream encoding maybe using ryzen 5 1600x for the cpu and just an mini itx case in a size of a console for the looks on the desk. So that would cost me more now..I could even go for i5-8600k for gaming and ryzen 5 for encoding so that the budget will be great enough. But I'm not so sure about which one to buy..ryzen or intel..I want gaming peformance as well and stream quality and productivity which doesn't really matter at this point now..since I can wait and I don't really care about the extra time that will be reduced by only about 2min from the 8700k. So this is getting hard to choose. I posted this poll for fun and for some reason to see what would people suggest.

well streaming is not really an argument when you only want to stream on twitch.tv though. Lets face it.

are you partnered?

-> If the answer is no your best quality option might be to stream in 720p60 which both CPUs are perfectly capable of at the slow x264 preset of OBS

-> If the answer is yes your best quality option depending on the game might be 1080p60 where both CPUs are capable of encoding at fast x264 codec of OBS

where the 2700x might be able to handle Medium without Framedrops on some games but not all.

So overall the difference isnt huge enough to make a decision based on that, but as you said that you dont want to overclock under any given circumstances makes the decision in favor of the 2700x pretty easy.

If you really want to get the best stream quality neither of those CPUs will bring it. And also the 8c/16t CPU releasing in 4th quarter wont deliver enough. We are talking about regions of 1080p60 streaming at a very limited bandwidth of 8000kbps on twitch.tv which would require something that can do 1080p60 slow x264 preset. Which would without gaming on it require something like a Threadripper 1950x or atleast an overclocked i9 7920x in favor of something even bigger.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |