Let’s do a mining build.

That’s an idea that I had in my mind for quite some time, and now that I got 4000€ for Christmas I’m going to build one. But before I do so I have two questions.

1. Is it still worth it to get into litecoin, catcoin, dogecoin and all these other currencies? Or will I be losing money on it?

2. This is what I planned for the build:

Benchtable :  Dimastech Benchtable Easy V3.0 (Black) 130€

Motherboard: Asrock Z87 OC Formula/ ac (cheapest mobo I found to support 4 way Xfire and to have wireless ac since this thing is going to be in the basement and I don’t want a huge lan cable all over the place ) 250€

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220T 50€

Ram: G.skill Sniper 8gb 1600mhz cl9 low voltage  1.25 70€

CPU Cooler: Bequiet Dark Rock 2 50€

PSU:  Enermax Platimax 1500 Watt 80+ Platinum 300€

Storage: Samsung 840 evo 120 gb 80€

Gpu: Not quite for yet if I should go with 4 R9 290x’s from Asus (DCU2) or 4 R9 290’s for Gigabyte (Windforce 3x Battelfield 4 edition) either 2300€ for the Asus cards or 1580€ for the Gigabyte ones.

Total of 3230€ for the build with the Asus Cards or 2510€ with the Gigabyte ones.

Is there something that I completely off in that build? (Don’t tell me that the cpu cooler is useless I know that but I don’t care. :D )

Thanks for helping me out.

You would be better off buying an asic bitcoin miner that mines like 100ghs or more for around that price. This build would not pay itself off.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Yes, you will most likely loose money doing it

Damn. Why? And why do people mine litecoin and stuff if they lose money on it?

people usually go for cheapest possible solution so that hardware will pay off soon as possible so keeping that in mind

get rid of ssd since it will wear out if you install wallets on to that (i saw people booting on from usb stick)

get the windforce3 since you will need cooling power of all the fans possible (+ it is cheaper)

you also dont need 8gb ram even 2gb is fine and you dont need to buy a cpu cooler you got a low tdp cpu as it is 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Damn. Why? And why do people mine litecoin and stuff if they lose money on it?

Go ahead and ignore the known mining haters. If you can afford to do it and keep it running long term you will VERY likely make your money back. Why do people mine if they lose money on it? That's just it they don't. I would try to give you more details but I am on my phone atm.

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

You are overspending on a few things. 

1: You don't need an aftermarket CPU cooler. Stock will be just fine

2: You don't need 8gb of RAM. Get either 2 or 4gb (4 recommended)

3: You don't need 128gb of SSD space. Get a 64gb SSD,

I was intrigued after seeing this thread so I wanted to create a template on how a 6 GPU, 4 PSU system would be configured. 

ZJ4PBF7.png?1

I'm assuming the Motherboard would support such a configuration.

Either way "impressive.....most impressive."

CM Storm Trooper| Asua Maximum VII Formula| 4770k H100i|Kingston Beast 32GB|Samsung Evo 250GB SSD|Seagate 3TB|EVGA Kingpin Edition 780 Ti(SLI)|Sound Blaster Z|Corsair 1200i

Samsung U28D590D | Corsair K70 | Razer Naga Hex | Kingston Hyper X Gaming Headset

you can grab a i5 or a FX instead that low cpu friend (i like have a 4 real cores cpu minimum, always)

you don't need xfire.... just get a cheap mobo with as many 16x or 1x pcie slots as possible and use extension cables.  then just gte a cheap wifi dongle foe 20 bucks or less

Old Rig | Cpu - Intel Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz | Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Mobo - Asus Rampage Extreme | Ram - 8GB OCZ Gold 1600mhz | Gpu - 2x Asus DK Radeon HD 4870 1GB (Crossfire) | Psu - Corsair TX750W | Case - Thermaltake Element G

New Rig | Cpu - Intel 4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Cooler - Swiftech H220 | Mobo - Asus Z87 Deluxe | Ram - 16GB Kinston Hyper X Beast @ 2400Mhz | Gpu - Sapphire R9 290X | Ssd - Kingston Hyper X Beast 3K 240GB | Psu - Corsair HX850W | Case - Fractal Design Define R4

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2q359

This is what I would be looking at getting for a build as you described. You can get away with a cheap motherboard by using 1x riser cables and this would provide much better cooling. Another option would be to go with 5x290 on this board and use two cheaper PSUs. If you build for the best mining performance and go cheaper on the rest you can easily spend less then your quoted 2510€.

On a separate note, HOW THE F#@K do you get 4000€ for Christmas?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2q359

This is what I would be looking at getting for a build as you described. You can get away with a cheap motherboard by using 1x riser cables and this would provide much better cooling. Another option would be to go with 5x290 on this board and use two cheaper PSUs. If you build for the best mining performance and go cheaper on the rest you can easily spend less then your quoted 2510€.

On a separate note, HOW THE F#@K do you get 4000€ for Christmas?

An celeron + the ASrock mobo is better ;) MUCH better PSU, same price: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lepa-power-supply-g1600ma on this you would probably be able to get 5 R9 290's :)

Well, I got "only" 600€ for Christmas, but I know people that got about 6500€...

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

Which Asrock board? The special btc edition boards are very hard to find available. The Lepa would be a fine power supply, it's gonna come down to availability on a lot of things.

Just for reference, I have run 4x290 on one psu with the motherboard run off another psu. I had 1300w at the wall from just the cards.

Hi, guys! I'm not sure weather I should start a new topic or continue here?

Anyway, I'm planning on build a mining rig and I just want to make sure everything I'm going to buy makes sense.

I want to see if mining makes sense for me so I'm going to start with one 290x and I'll add two more 290x if mining is for me. If it isn't I will use this as a gaming rig (with a few upgrades of course). I'm planning on waiting for a non-reference design, which I hear will be announced at CES. For the motherboard I want it be able to fit three 290x without having to use a PCI Express riser. This motherboard seems like it can handle that ASRock 990FX Extreme3?

So to summarize...

CPU- AMD Athlon II X2 340

RAM- Corsair Vengeance 8GB (I picked this so it will be easier to upgrade to 16gb for gaming, I know I don't need 8gb for mining)

MoBo- ASRock 990FX Extreme3

GPU- one-three 290x non-reference

PSU- AX1200i Modular 80 PLUS Platinum

HDD- My old Seagate Barracuda

Thanks in advance!

I feel sorry for those GPUs.

AMD FX 6300 | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ | HITACHI ULTRASTAR 1TB 7200RPM HDD | XFX RADEON HD 7950 3GB | 8GB DDR3-1600 MUSHKIN BLACKLINE | OCZ ZT 550W 80+ BRONZE PSU | ZALMAN Z5 PLUS CASE | LITE-ON iHDS118-04 DVD/CD DRIVE | BENQ GW2255 21.5" MONITOR

Hi, guys! I'm not sure weather I should start a new topic or continue here?

Anyway, I'm planning on build a mining rig and I just want to make sure everything I'm going to buy makes sense.

I want to see if mining makes sense for me so I'm going to start with one 290x and I'll add two more 290x if mining is for me. If it isn't I will use this as a gaming rig (with a few upgrades of course). I'm planning on waiting for a non-reference design, which I hear will be announced at CES. For the motherboard I want it be able to fit three 290x without having to use a PCI Express riser. This motherboard seems like it can handle that ASRock 990FX Extreme3?

So to summarize...

CPU- AMD Athlon II X2 340

RAM- Corsair Vengeance 8GB (I picked this so it will be easier to upgrade to 16gb for gaming, I know I don't need 8gb for mining)

MoBo- ASRock 990FX Extreme3

GPU- one-three 290x non-reference

PSU- AX1200i Modular 80 PLUS Platinum

HDD- My old Seagate Barracuda

Thanks in advance!

Two problems.

If you end up using this for gaming you are going to need a better Cpu.

If you end up mining with 3 cards on the motherboard it is gonna be hard to keep them cool running inside a case. If you ran them open bench  with a fan blowing on them you  should be fine though.