EVGA ftw 3 gtx 1080 ti vs rog STRIX Oc 1080 ti

Go to solution Solved by For Science!,
2 minutes ago, Totally Not Woojin said:

-

Noise normalized perform has the 1080Ti strix way up there. I would use the strix.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3141-the-best-gtx-1080-ti-graphics-cards-designs-asus-vs-evga-msi

zotac-extreme-40dba-gpu.png

So I’m going to be building a new pc soon, I’ve chosen all my components except for the graphics card. I’m choosing between the STRIX or the FTW3 1080 ti. How do they compare in terms of cooling, acoustics, software, and features one card may have another doesn’t? And please don’t put go for the cheaper one, because I can care less for the price as they’re pretty similar these days

Negligable differences, honestly. Go for the nicer looking one(Strix IMO)

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, Totally Not Woojin said:

So I’m going to be building a new pc soon, I’ve chosen all my components except for the graphics card. I’m choosing between the STRIX or the FTW3 1080 ti. How do they compare in terms of cooling, acoustics, software, and features one card may have another doesn’t? And please don’t put go for the cheaper one, because I can care less for the price as they’re pretty similar these days

I have an overclocked Strix and it runs in the 60 degrees area while gaming. I've had no issues with sound, and since it's an ASUS card you can sync the RGB lights with other ASUS products (assuming your mobo is asus).

Heya!

Ive personally got the EVGA FTW3 1080ti. One thing I really like about it is the temperature sensors.

I run my cards pretty hot, so its nice to know the temps of the gpu, memory, and vrms.

Its a 2 slot card (idk about the STRIX) so you'll be able to fit other stuff under it if you wish. Its actually insanely quiet for what it can do. Also, lighting on the card is really cool, although that should be the last thing you consider lol.

Strix looks better (RGB FTW), FTW3 has better customer service (cuz EVGA)

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

Heya!

Ive personally got the EVGA FTW3 1080ti. One thing I really like about it is the temperature sensors.

I run my cards pretty hot, so its nice to know the temps of the gpu, memory, and vrms.

Its a 2 slot card (idk about the STRIX) so you'll be able to fit other stuff under it if you wish. Its actually insanely quiet for what it can do. Also, lighting on the card is really cool, although that should be the last thing you consider lol.

I thought that there were like software programs that tell you all about the GPUs thermals, am I wrong? 

I thought that there were like software programs that tell you all about the GPUs thermals, am I wrong? 

Those programs can tell you about temperature, yes. However, it'll only be the GPU temp as there is only one temperature sensor. 

The FTW3 has 3 sensors. One in the memory section, one in the vrm section, and one where other opus have it, and next to the gpu itself

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

Those programs can tell you about temperature, yes. However, it'll only be the GPU temp as there is only one temperature sensor. 

The FTW3 has 3 sensors. One in the memory section, one in the vrm section, and one where other opus have it, around the gpu itself

Will it really affect me that much if I only am thinking of slight - medium oc? Thanks

5 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Strix looks better (RGB FTW), FTW3 has better customer service (cuz EVGA)

I really don’t care how the gpu looks as long as it looks decent, and I only take customer service as an add on not a deal maker or breaker, so can you tell me in terms of thermals how they compare, thanks

Will it really affect me that much if I only am thinking of slight - medium oc? Thanks

Its not going to affect you massively. Its just kinda nice to have, but something you can do without. Personally, id stick with EVGA. They have really good warranty and RMA.

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

Its not going to affect you massively. Its just kinda nice to have, but something you can do without. Personally, id stick with EVGA. They have really good warranty and RMA.

Ok this may sound Really dumb, but what is rma exactly? I never actually thought of what it means

I really don’t care how the gpu looks as long as it looks decent, and I only take customer service as an add on not a deal maker or breaker, so can you tell me in terms of thermals how they compare, thanks

Strix has better cooling, just make sure your case is big enough.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

11 minutes ago, Totally Not Woojin said:

Ok this may sound Really dumb, but what is rma exactly? I never actually thought of what it means

RMA is: 

A return merchandise authorization (RMA), return authorization (RA) or return goods authorization (RGA) is a part of the process of returning a product to receive a refund, replacement, or repair during the product's warranty period. The purchaser of the product must contact the manufacturer (or distributor or retailer) to obtain authorization to return the product. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_merchandise_authorization

You would be better off with the ASUS strix version as they’re one of the best cards on the market

1 hour ago, Bajantechnician said:

RMA is: 

A return merchandise authorization (RMA), return authorization (RA) or return goods authorization (RGA) is a part of the process of returning a product to receive a refund, replacement, or repair during the product's warranty period. The purchaser of the product must contact the manufacturer (or distributor or retailer) to obtain authorization to return the product. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_merchandise_authorization

Oh ok thanks, sorry for the late response

59 minutes ago, RigNerd said:

You would be better off with the ASUS strix version as they’re one of the best cards on the market

Can you tell me how? What makes it better, sorry for the late response.

Thanks guys, I think the strix is right for me, though bajantechnician, thanks for telling me what the FTW3 has over the strix

1 hour ago, Totally Not Woojin said:

Oh ok thanks, sorry for the late response

No, no worries :)

49 minutes ago, Totally Not Woojin said:

Thanks guys, I think the strix is right for me, though bajantechnician, thanks for telling me what the FTW3 has over the strix

Anytime dude! let me know how your build comes out :)

13 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

The FTW3 has 3 sensors. One in the memory section, one in the vrm section, and one where other opus have it, and next to the gpu itself

EVGA ICX technology has 9 thermal sensors, more than any other GPU. It’s 3 visual temperature icons on the face of the GPU I think you meant. One each for GPU, power and memory, which change colour as temperature increases. In the Precision X application you can view the 9 sensors across either side of the card. 

I’d totally recommend the FTW3. The visuals of this are amazing since you can view the temperatures of the card with a quick glance, and individual fan control! But in terms of performance, both STRIX and FTW3 are the best consumer 1080Ti’s around (excluding Kingpin which isn’t common for average gamers). 

15 hours ago, Totally Not Woojin said:

Go for the EVGA just because their support is better. They still support the product even if you put an aftermarket cooler, waterblock, etc. on it. It doesnt void your warranty.

Plus they support second hand cards, so if you ever sell the card, you can tell the buyer they still have warranty through EVGA even though they are not the first owner.

Those things alone are reason enough for me to choose EVGA. All the differences between the major brands in terms of coolers and overclockability are minimal usually.

15 hours ago, For Science! said:

Noise normalized perform has the 1080Ti strix way up there. I would use the strix.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3141-the-best-gtx-1080-ti-graphics-cards-designs-asus-vs-evga-msi

zotac-extreme-40dba-gpu.png

EDIT: Well I see the Strix does have objectively the better cooler. I guess go with what is more important for you: better cooler or better support. If you are not planning to put a waterblock on it or sell it after a couple of years, I guess the Strix is the better choice. Unless the card dies on you prematurely... which is impossible to know, EVGA still has better support.

2 hours ago, Napascj said:

EVGA ICX technology has 9 thermal sensors, more than any other GPU. It’s 3 visual temperature icons on the face of the GPU I think you meant. One each for GPU, power and memory, which change colour as temperature increases. In the Precision X application you can view the 9 sensors across either side of the card. 

I’d totally recommend the FTW3. The visuals of this are amazing since you can view the temperatures of the card with a quick glance, and individual fan control! But in terms of performance, both STRIX and FTW3 are the best consumer 1080Ti’s around (excluding Kingpin which isn’t common for average gamers). 

Ahhh, yes.

Messed it up lol. 9 sensors, 3 temperature icons :)

I have precision X but can only see 3 sensors... Something im doing wrong?

@Bajantechnician If you have an ICX card then in Precision XOC there should be a HW Monitoring or HWM icon on the side of the app, do you have that? That opens the diagram of the card and shows all 9 sensors

11 hours ago, Napascj said:

@Bajantechnician If you have an ICX card then in Precision XOC there should be a HW Monitoring or HWM icon on the side of the app, do you have that? That opens the diagram of the card and shows all 9 sensors

Ahhhhh.

yep :D got it!

Thanks a bunch haha