First Time Builder, looking for some guidance

Hey everyone! I've been interested in building my own first PC for a bit now. ive done alot of my own research into the basics of things along with experimented with some theoretical builds on PCPp. I've developed two builds that i think are pretty similar to one another, one based on Intel and the other on Ryzen. Any positive criticism and pointers would be greatly appreciated. 

my budget im looking to use is roughly $1600, under if possible. I'd like to make it as well rounded as possible, as I like to game and could maybe see myself doing some streaming in the later future so anything that allows for easier upgradability is what I was going for, while also starting my self off as well as possible.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Atallmilkman/saved/96WNNG

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Atallmilkman/saved/nzVM8d

nice build!, I was checking your intel list, and my only suggestion would be to change the samsung 850 for the newer 860 which is actually cheaper at least on amazon rn, and maybe get a single 16GB dimm that way you get some room for future upgrades. Have fun!

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

Both builds look good.  Do you game more or create content/stream more?  As a pure gaming machine the 8700K is better, but the 2700 is close behind and is a little more flexible for streaming and creating.

Don't go 1 16gb stick.  You want 2 for dual channel ram.  It makes a difference in performance, especially with the AMD cpu.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

You went well over budget

not really

by like 10 dolalrs

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

I wouldn't spend the extra money for what you get but that's just me

A 1080 a better moniter and better CPU

My life

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

not really

by like 10 dolalrs

A 1080 a better moniter and better CPU

You went over by 90.... Also I am not into 4k especially not when it takes a 1080ti to actually play at 4k without issue. I do like some of the choices you made though. This is an updated list using some of the parts you had. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yGZxHh

1 hour ago, Atallmilkman said:

Hey everyone! I've been interested in building my own first PC for a bit now. ive done alot of my own research into the basics of things along with experimented with some theoretical builds on PCPp. I've developed two builds that i think are pretty similar to one another, one based on Intel and the other on Ryzen. Any positive criticism and pointers would be greatly appreciated. 

my budget im looking to use is roughly $1600, under if possible. I'd like to make it as well rounded as possible, as I like to game and could maybe see myself doing some streaming in the later future so anything that allows for easier upgradability is what I was going for, while also starting my self off as well as possible.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Atallmilkman/saved/96WNNG

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Atallmilkman/saved/nzVM8d

Do you have any more direct requests for what you want to do with the system? Is high FPS gaming the main priority?

Hi all! thanks for the speedy responses! i had no idea that id get so many so quickly. i did see the over budget setup, however it is somewhat flexible in that regard as long as everything is still included in that price, as i still don't have all the money yet and it depends entirely on how much i choose to work this summer. in that case and for what it seems he chose for the price, id seriously consider it.

What surprised me most out of all the updates and suggestions however, was y'all seemed to agree on omission of the 3rd party cooler. I did mention the goal was for upgradability, so i think i see that having a more high end GPU would be better in the first purchase of the system, and i could always upgrade the cooler to a better grade later... was that the logic used? 

Also i saw y'all were able to find some parts under different brands for memory and storage units. Know brand isn't everything, but generally, are there a list of names one would want to stick to? just for general performance reliability? other than that, the case is pretty interchangeable, i just chose the Mastercooler because i heard it has really good airflow, and... ya know... RGB. But i have seen the others you guys included too. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.89 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($119.39 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.79 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB DUKE Video Card  ($489.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Acer - GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  ($196.62 @ B&H) 
Total: $1645.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-21 21:34 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Do you have any more direct requests for what you want to do with the system? Is high FPS gaming the main priority?

i would say that i want it to be more well rounded rather than have it do one specifically well. id probably use it doe assignments here and there as well.

39 minutes ago, Atallmilkman said:

i would say that i want it to be more well rounded rather than have it do one specifically well. id probably use it doe assignments here and there as well.

The system @Herman Mcpootis listed would work. A Ryzen 2700 build would be the most "balanced" within the normal consumer space.

alright, my main questions remaining now would be is the wraith prism really reliable to go with? my main reason for going with the dark rock was because its really good, and i wasn't sure how good the prism was. this also influenced my choice of RAM given that i hear the dark rock pro is also large, so i picked lower profile RAM sticks. additionally, does RAM brand really matter? cause i havent heard of the one herman chose in the build above yet.

1 hour ago, Atallmilkman said:

alright, my main questions remaining now would be is the wraith prism really reliable to go with? my main reason for going with the dark rock was because its really good, and i wasn't sure how good the prism was. this also influenced my choice of RAM given that i hear the dark rock pro is also large, so i picked lower profile RAM sticks. additionally, does RAM brand really matter? cause i havent heard of the one herman chose in the build above yet.

It'll handle the stock performance just fine, with likely a mild OC as well. The Dark Rock 4, while amazing, would be overkill, for any Ryzen system. The silicon itself would hit its limits before that cooler would. More cooling almost never hurts in computing, but it isn't needed. It can also be added later if you feel like you need it.

RAM brand comes down to the people that put the chips on the PCB. There are tolerance differences, but not really. If it's rated up to ~3200, you can generally expect to get that on either Intel or AMD. Beyond 3200 is down to your luck with the CPU's IMC, on both platforms.

They both look like good builds, nice work. Thanks for considering Seagate. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions on the hard drive.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

thanks to all the people who posted their suggestions, I've mulled over them and decided ill be switching to the white phanteks eclipse case, as well as possibly mixing and matching the storage and memory slots to see if i can re-arrange that extra cash into a better GPU or monitor. additionally, ill probably go with the stock cooler rather than the Be Quiet dark rock if it can help me get a better GPU or monitor as well, ill keep the post active for a while until i get the parts and build it. just incase i have any other questions or run into any other theoretical dilemmas. 

18 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.89 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($119.39 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.79 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB DUKE Video Card  ($489.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Acer - GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  ($196.62 @ B&H) 
Total: $1645.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-21 21:34 EDT-0400

question, it says on the build site that the motherboard may require a BIOS update prior to using CPUs of that generation, i've seen that alot with AMD builds i've been experimenting with on PCPp. what does it mean? does it mean i need to put in an extra step? would it be more beneficial to just find a motherboard that already comes preloaded with the BIOS version the CPU needs?

2 hours ago, Atallmilkman said:

question, it says on the build site that the motherboard may require a BIOS update prior to using CPUs of that generation, i've seen that alot with AMD builds i've been experimenting with on PCPp. what does it mean? does it mean i need to put in an extra step? would it be more beneficial to just find a motherboard that already comes preloaded with the BIOS version the CPU needs?

you might need to update the bios if it's not updated from the factory, just order the bootkit off amd and use that. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W