International Olympic Committee (IOC) to host a esports summit in Lausanne in July

ItsMitch
57 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Esports is becoming one step closer to actual IOC recognition which is an impressive feet in of itself.

Not sure if

Spoiler

bcb128e65a5frodo.jpg.jpg

or

Spoiler

harry1.jpg

49 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

something grounded to earth is what i meant , effort , sweat, dirt , blood ,Something solid physical (real in a sense). look at most of the sports now,  it's not interacting through a medium. but technology is used to gauge it in accuracy nevertheless. not used as platform , more defined meaning imo would be like doing a race car game versus real race cars racing .  two different scenarios , even with real world simulation is br9ought to an accurate level between the two, both needing skills to those that are involved, but ideally it's the same . still different. *insert same but different meme gif here*

Yep,  but the nature of this is different. But i do get your point on on some of the so called sports involved.

Counter argument to that is that some nba players were amazed by the fact that esports players were training as much if not more than the average nba player.

So in a way, you do need a physical effort in everyday repetition and training.

I'm not a fan of most Esports personally. 

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

Not from the watching standpoint, but from the standpoint that video gaming isn't athletic, whereas all Olympic sports are.

It's not athletic in the same way that like running is, sure. But it's still measuring skill & reaction times & such. 

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Meh. Just recognize it and put it into its own event if you have to. An E-Olympics if you will. It doesn't fit in with Summer/Winter Olympics anyway. Done. Everyone's happy (not really).

Ok that's interesting. Under whatever name it is be it without or with 'e' attached to it still cool to see more recognition. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Counter argument to that is that some nba players were amazed by the fact that esports players were training as much if not more than the average nba player.

So in a way, you do need a physical effort in everyday repetition and training.

but you can see how it's two very different styles with hefty differences in physical effort when its in motion. every sports has it's version of training.  one can be amazed on different levels of training depending on what ever that subject maybe. on that subject another example , The Mr.Olympia official were trying to get their physique routines & posing ones recognized under same statement on training & focus & hard-work for the Olympics. hasn't worked out for them still.

Details separate people.

1 hour ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

but you can see how it's two very different styles with hefty differences in physical effort when its in motion. every sports has it's version of training.  one can be amazed on different levels of training depending on what ever that subject maybe. on that subject another example , The Mr.Olympia official were trying to get their physique routines & posing ones recognized under same statement on training & focus & hard-work for the Olympics. hasn't worked out for them still.

By that reasoning, I don't see why there is more than 2 disciplines at the Olympic games: running and swimming. Or whatever aquatic sport and non aquatic sport is the most intensive.

2 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

By that reasoning, I don't see why there is more than 2 disciplines at the Olympic games: running and swimming. Or whatever aquatic sport and non aquatic sport is the most intensive.

there is also strength , agility , i'd put it near blitz chess game or something because it involves strategy for the majority , But even that you have to physically interact with something directly , there's a difference between sports that has a physical presence & awareness in the real world  , while a video game is mediated in a virtual world . i know it's a hard to agree part . but it is what it is.

Details separate people.

Heathstone, Starcraft II, Pro Evolution Soccer, Clash Royale and Arena of Valor are the other five games set to be contested.

Hearthstone: Big and popular. I can understand.

SC2: I can kinda see how this is a sport

Pro Evolution Soccer: It's a game about sports, it's kinda sporty I guess.

Clash Royale: Umm, how did this random mobile game make it in.

Arena of valor: Great. So now we have a mobile MOBA? Well that's just great.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Really? I haven't even heard of two of those games and they are considering these to be a sport? All of the most watched and popular esports games are all somewhat violent. Things like overwatch, csgo, and league are probably the most watched and would bring way more attention to this subject. The viewership would go way up. I dont even know that many people that still play clash royale.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

17 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Yeah, I know what you mean, conventional sports always included physical work, training etc.

But e-sports on the other hand require agility, skill, fast thinking, short reactions etc. due to the nature of competitive games, they also require countless hours of training and devotion because it pretty much replaces your life to stay competitive (I'm basing my assumptions on the pro scene in League of Legends because I'm very familiar with it, I also actually played some competitive tournaments in Poland myself). It's extremely hard to remain in the pro gaming scene for longer than two years.

I personally feel like this ticks enough boxes to be considered a sport, though I'm not sure if it's right for the Olympics, but there are smarter people than me to figure that one out.

Pretty much spot on, never got to proper pro level in Paladins but it just takes over your life. Every hour I could I spent watching the meta, playing or discussing tactics and shit. Esports take dedication and training if you want to be good

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

So, the Olympics are now officially just a shitty joke now.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

*Adds grain of salt to cake

Damn, its not edible anymore

8 hours ago, Drak3 said:

iZhLt8f.jpg

8 hours ago, Drak3 said:

What the hell is your problem with eSports?

I thought I'd point out that something being looked at by the IOC doesn't mean it will be featured in the Summer Games. Many activities organized by the IOC fall into different events, such as the Winter Games or the Paralympics (correct me if the latter is not related to the IOC, though).

I also wouldn't exaggerate the weight of philosophical arguments on what does and does not become an Olympic sport (hint: it's mostly about money and cake-splitting :P). Whatever argument you may make about eSports being suitable for the Olympics, you can probably make the same argument for chess or go. And whatever argument you use to defend "physical sports only" should leave rugby inside. However, no board game is Olympic, rugby is excluded, football is only allowed in a crippled version (FIFA wants no competition for the World Cup), and basketball stop excluding the NBA relatively recently...

Bottom line: the IOC smelled the money, but whether they bring it to the Summer Games, the Winter Games, or a separate event is to be seen.

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Bottom line: the IOC smelled the money, but whether they bring it to the Summer Games, the Winter Games, or a separate event is to be seen

Gaming is a huge business, the money in it is huge, last valued at 108.4 billion USD from a report from SuperData

s: https://esportsobserver.com/video-gaming-revenues-reach-108-billion-superdata-report/

Just now, SC2Mitch said:

Gaming is a huge business, the money in it is huge, last valued at 108.4 billion USD from a report from SuperData

s: https://esportsobserver.com/video-gaming-revenues-reach-108-billion-superdata-report/

That figure is for video games as a whole, not esports specifically.

Regardless, yes, that was the point: there is money on eSports, hence why it caught the IOC's attention.

Clash Royale!?!?

Edit: I think chess would sooner be included on the Olympics and that isn't likely either 

That's an F in the profile pic

On 18/05/2018 at 4:27 PM, SC2Mitch said:

What the hell is your problem with eSports?

I think the issue is more about what the Olympic Committee wants to do with esports. Out of the top esports you get csgo, dota and league of legends which aren't considered, and to a lesser degree so isn't overwatch, the likes of rainbow 6 siege. For some of those games, it'd be even more arguable to have CIV6 or fortnite matches or whatever.

Anyway, that points to a clear misunderstanding of esports from the Olympic Committee.

2 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

I think the issue is more about what the Olympic Committee wants to do with esports. Out of the top esports you get csgo, dota and league of legends which aren't considered, and to a lesser degree so isn't overwatch, the likes of rainbow 6 siege. For some of those games, it'd be even more arguable to have CIV6 or fortnite matches or whatever.

Anyway, that points to a clear misunderstanding of esports from the Olympic Committee.

they want non-violent games to be part of the olympic. even if that starts of as a bit messy im shure it will figure itself out. im pretty shure they will have their own subdivision that is seperate to manage, operate, organize the egames. Games change almost yearly and new branches will grow up in the matter of 2 years or so. you have some etablished branches, but there will be smaller ones that will come and go. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

they want non-violent games to be part of the olympic. even if that starts of as a bit messy im shure it will figure itself out. im pretty shure they will have their own subdivision that is seperate to manage, operate, organize the egames. Games change almost yearly and new branches will grow up in the matter of 2 years or so. you have some etablished branches, but there will be smaller ones that will come and go. 

For fps that's a fair argument, but for dota/Lol.. not so much.

(Plus there are violent sports already at the Olympics, some wrestling and fencing, so the argument itself is a bit biased against esports I'd guess).

Just now, laminutederire said:

For fps that's a fair argument, but for dota/Lol.. not so much.

(Plus there are violent sports already at the Olympics, some wrestling and fencing, so the argument itself is a bit biased against esports I'd guess).

im certain that some more cartoon-ish shooters like maybe OW might be considered. the point of the olympics was that they were supposed to be non-violent and no killing. something most shooters dont qualify for. im not entirely surprised if the sitting olympic council is somewhat biased. that is why im hoping the egames becomes a somewhat independant entetity as games are quite fluid in their trends and very few stick. not to mention the different categories. Maybe speedrunning will become a thing. the fact that games are even considered is a step in the right direction