International Olympic Committee (IOC) to host a esports summit in Lausanne in July

ItsMitch

S: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1065131/ioc-to-host-esports-summit-in-lausanne-in-july

Esports is becoming one step closer to actual IOC recognition which is an impressive feet in of itself. The IOC has planned a summit in July at

An esports summit is due to be hosted by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in Lausanne in July, to continue the organisation's "dialogue" with the gaming industry.

Full details have not yet been revealed, but IOC President Thomas Bach has said that the one-day meeting will take place in the second half of July, in conjunction with the Global Association of International Sports Federations. 

"eSports is clearly an exciting and growing sector in which millions of young people move regularly around the world," Bach told Sport Intern, as reported by Sport 1.

"The Olympic Movement can ignore such a phenomenon by no means.

"But it could still take a long time to get into the Olympic programme.

"The idea [of the Summit] is to enter into a dialogue with the gaming industry and the athletes and, in due course, approach the stakeholders of the Olympic Movement again."

Fairly big news for all those interested in esports and it reaching IOC recognition (which it hasn't yet). 

The games announced so far are: 

Heathstone, Starcraft II, Pro Evolution Soccer, Clash Royale and Arena of Valor are the other five games set to be contested.

The IOC goes on to mention that they want the games to be selected so it doesn't glorify killing

However, the German is also maintaining his view that esports must not infringe on the so called Olympic values - meaning games should not promote violence.

"We need to draw a red line and make it clear that killer games can never be part of the Olympic Movement," Bach added.

Me and @Dukester think this is a great idea for the IOC

If you're going to comment, make sure it's about the topic at hand

Awesome! I doubt it'll get into the Olympics itself but it's a big step forward if the IOC officially recognizes it as a "real" sport.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Just now, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Awesome! I doubt it'll get into the Olympics itself but it's a big step forward if the IOC officially recognizes it as a "real" sport.

I mean, they DID a partnership with Intel at the winter olympics for Starcraft 2 and Scarlett won it, maybe they're having a change of tone? Brings in the younger audience and the viewers = more money for IOC?

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

I mean, they DID a partnership with Intel at the winter olympics for Starcraft 2 and Scarlett won it, maybe they're having a change of tone? Brings in the younger audience and the viewers = more money for IOC?

I guess less people care about sports now. It's possible

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

Just now, Tech_Dreamer said:

Pretty nice. But i still wouldn't consider something played on-screen as an Olympic sport .

There are a lot dumber Olympic sports so this wouldn't be too bad imo.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Tech_Dreamer said:

Pretty nice. But i still wouldn't consider something played on-screen as an Olympic sport .

You already watch it on a screen, how is it all that different?

She/they 

1 minute ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Yeah, it'll most likely be a Twitch exclusive kind of thing. 

>Pro evo soccer

Nobody plays that tho. FIFA is what the kids have (always) been into. Generally a much better game.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Yeah, it'll most likely be a Twitch exclusive kind of thing. 

I mean it already kinda is, just more "legit"

She/they 

8 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Not from the watching standpoint, but from the standpoint that video gaming isn't athletic, whereas all Olympic sports are.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

12 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

something grounded to earth is what i meant , effort , sweat, dirt , blood ,Something solid physical (real in a sense). look at most of the sports now,  it's not interacting through a medium. but technology is used to gauge it in accuracy nevertheless. not used as platform , more defined meaning imo would be like doing a race car game versus real race cars racing .  two different scenarios , even with real world simulation is br9ought to an accurate level between the two, both needing skills to those that are involved, but ideally it's the same . still different. *insert same but different meme gif here*

12 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

There are a lot dumber Olympic sports so this wouldn't be too bad imo.

Yep,  but the nature of this is different. But i do get your point on on some of the so called sports involved.

Details separate people.

Yay but where is CSGO and Dota 2

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

4 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Csgo probably deemed too violent (gun on gun) Dota could probably get through

1 minute ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

something grounded to earth is what i meant , effort , sweat, dirt , blood ,Something solid physical (real in a sense). look at most of the sports now,  it's not interacting through a medium. but technology is used to gauge it in accuracy nevertheless. not used as platform , more defined meaning imo would be like doing a race car game versus real race cars racing .  two different scenarios , both needing skills to those that are involved, but ideally it's the same .   *insert same but different meme gif here*

Yep,  but the nature of this is different. But i do get your point on on some of the so called sports involved.

Yeah, I know what you mean, conventional sports always included physical work, training etc.

But e-sports on the other hand require agility, skill, fast thinking, short reactions etc. due to the nature of competitive games, they also require countless hours of training and devotion because it pretty much replaces your life to stay competitive (I'm basing my assumptions on the pro scene in League of Legends because I'm very familiar with it, I also actually played some competitive tournaments in Poland myself). It's extremely hard to remain in the pro gaming scene for longer than two years.

I personally feel like this ticks enough boxes to be considered a sport, though I'm not sure if it's right for the Olympics, but there are smarter people than me to figure that one out.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

for some strange reason i feel you didn't fully read the original post...

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

4 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Dota could probably get through

Well if clash royal can get through (although it involves the 'deaths' of NPCs), I don't see why Dota or League won't be able to get through :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I mean no game works as fine as CS:GO for e-sports... but since it's a shooter we know all the children's issue.

meh...

I didn't bother myself with the past Olympics  in fact here in Brazil all the Olympics were good for was for corruption, money laundry, pecuniary and so on... wish these events would be over it's a HUGE load of wasted money just to put out a fancy show that's getting less and less attraction every 4 years.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Yeah, I know what you mean, conventional sports always included physical work, training etc.

But e-sports on the other hand require agility, skill, fast thinking, short reactions etc. due to the nature of competitive games, they also require countless hours of training and devotion because it pretty much replaces your life to stay competitive (I'm basing my assumptions on the pro scene in League of Legends because I'm very familiar with it, I also actually played some competitive tournaments in Poland myself). It's extremely hard to remain in the pro gaming scene for longer than two years.

technically we could make heart surgery an Olympic event with the effort & training involved xD ,  i know it's exaggerated but you get the point,  i think it's upto them in the end , who's in charge on decided whether it's a sport ,  one of the biggest things about it is from my point of view is it currently doesn't have an origin story , which other sports do , something native & structured from the ground with basic ideas , something which tailors around a rich culture & history and such ,  of that nature , i don't know if it makes sense but its a weird skewed view from the ground on what makes something , video games imo is a product of a business decision, focused on sales & entertainment .

But when it comes down to them discussion about it , they will surely make arguments on decision on those points i made .

Details separate people.

15 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Csgo probably deemed too violent (gun on gun) Dota could probably get through

I feel like League would be more likely than Dota, purely through # of players.

>Clash Royale

Excuse me??? Where's all the major eSports at? I know it said they don't want games that glorify killing but come on...

2 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

technically we could make heart surgery an Olympic event with the effort & training involved xD ,  i know it's exaggerated but you get the point,  i think it's upto them in the end , who's in charge on decided whether it's a sport ,  one of the biggest things about it is from my point of view is it currently doesn't have an origin story , which other sports do , something native & structured from the ground with basic ideas , something which tailors around a rich culture & history and such ,  of that nature , i don't know if it makes sense but its a weird skewed view from the ground on what makes something , video games imo is a product of a business decision, focused on sales & entertainment .

But when it comes down to them discussion about it , they will surely make arguments on decision on those points i made .

Image result for surgeon simulator

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

i give up, Just make it an Olympic sports already xD

Details separate people.

7 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

The most difficult of sports. VR

Even more difficult when yu do not kno de wey

426.png

Details separate people.