AMD TR 2000 series going to be released this year already

Nicnac
11 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The 28c XCC die OC'd probably would run into significant thermal transfer issues even on water.

With the size of the die and IHS (socket 3647), thermal transfer would become an issue at some point but, honestly I think you'd hit a power limit first. Motherboards would have to have some very robust power delivery.

On topic: I wonder what they have planned for additional features, if any. 

3 hours ago, hammerfast said:

that's great news , so there will be a new chipset for tr 2000 but it will still work on x399 mobos right ?

this is my first AMD and so far it's great 

Yes more than likely it will work. There will probably be a bios update and you'll miss out on storemi as its a new feature but the cpu itself should run just fine.

18 minutes ago, TheOriginalHero said:

Yes more than likely it will work. There will probably be a bios update and you'll miss out on storemi as its a new feature but the cpu itself should run just fine.

You can purchase a license of the software if you really want it for any processor that doesn't ship with it.

Probably still going to go with the 16 core variant for my HEDT build. I'm about 70/30 in favor of AMD for the build at this point.

However at the rate I'm able to set money aside every month, I might have to wait for Zen 2 TR. RL sucks! :/

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

14 hours ago, TheOriginalHero said:

Don't X399 boards already support StoreMI? I'm sure Wendell did a video on it not that long ago

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 hour ago, yolosnail said:

Don't X399 boards already support StoreMI? I'm sure Wendell did a video on it not that long ago

Yes.

I wonder how much AMD pays for this licensing deal. The cheapest license they (Enmotus - the makers of the software) sell for servers costs $479 and the top is $859 but that's enterprise territory. AMD licensed it with stricter limits on storage sizes and 'ported' it to their platform. It can't have been that cheap to take enterprise software and make it available for consumers.

Anyway, I fully expect it to be free for second gen TR users and perhaps going forward unless AMD finds no one really uses it. It's a kind of risky move if you ask me (cost vs benefit). I guess they figured they needed to find a solution to compete with Optane but it's not really the same. Wendell seems to find that it's better and in many ways it's more versatile at least.

1 hour ago, yolosnail said:

It does but I think the uncertainty is more about whether it's free for first gen TR users or if they have to buy the license (haven't seen a confirmation either way). First gen Ryzen users have to buy it. It costs $20 for the basic/cheap license (which I believe is the one you get free with Ryzen second gen) and $60 for the 'big' license.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:50 AM, Taf the Ghost said:

The 28c XCC die OC'd probably would run into significant thermal transfer issues even on water.

You would probably need to put it IN water.

On 5/16/2018 at 6:08 AM, Trixanity said:

I wonder how much AMD pays for this licensing deal. The cheapest license they (Enmotus - the makers of the software) sell for servers costs $479 and the top is $859 but that's enterprise territory. AMD licensed it with stricter limits on storage sizes and 'ported' it to their platform. It can't have been that cheap to take enterprise software and make it available for consumers.

Probably not that expensive simply because Enmotus A) probably get the lion's share of the money from people buying the upgrade and B) see it as their foot in the door to a wider consumer market. If they can get people used to using tiered storage and then offer a comparative package for Intel users after word gets out they could make a shitload of money.

My 4690K gives no shits! 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Hmmm nice! If it weren't that I have a 16 core server waiting to be shoved some VMs already I'd get TR 1 when this comes out at a discount OR TR 2 just to have the latest thing.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

4 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

Probably not that expensive simply because Enmotus A) probably get the lion's share of the money from people buying the upgrade and B) see it as their foot in the door to a wider consumer market. If they can get people used to using tiered storage and then offer a comparative package for Intel users after word gets out they could make a shitload of money.

If people buy the $60 upgrade. Most will probably stick to the basic version if they use it at all. It remains to be seen if they actually want to move into the consumer market. The money is after all a lot better in enterprise and as great as tiered storage is, it is (as it was originally) mostly for enterprise. The average consumer will be using a laptop with some dual core 15W Intel processor and a single 128 GB SSD where tiered storage won't come into play. They have a potential to expand a bit for a few users in the Intel enthusiast circles but otherwise this is mostly advertising, free money and a potential to expand in some fashion if it makes sense.

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

If people buy the $60 upgrade. Most will probably stick to the basic version if they use it at all. It remains to be seen if they actually want to move into the consumer market. The money is after all a lot better in enterprise and as great as tiered storage is, it is (as it was originally) mostly for enterprise. The average consumer will be using a laptop with some dual core 15W Intel processor and a single 128 GB SSD where tiered storage won't come into play. They have a potential to expand a bit for a few users in the Intel enthusiast circles but otherwise this is mostly advertising, free money and a potential to expand in some fashion if it makes sense.

Only crazy idiots use tiered storage at home, me xD.