PC takes 3 times to start up every time

NUFCThomas

Hey,

Every time i turn my PC on, all the fans make noise and lights come on etc for a second then turn off, again it happens for a second or two longer then turns off then finally on the third attempt in comes on, it also resets the whole bios every time this happens. It does this every time. the only exception is when i shut down my PC and leave the power from the mains on and start it back up within say an hour of shutting down it comes on in one go. Does any one know why this may be happening?

thanks in advance for any replies

Specs below 

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

This seems like a problem stemming from your PSU from what I can tell, do you have another PSU around that you could use to test?

Edit: have you also already confirmed your CPU overclock was stable? 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

No sadly not, but ive had problems with this psu before as the last time i had to get mine replaced from the company who built the pc cause it would crash my pc

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

When your PC finally boots up correctly after the 3 attempts to startup it resets your bios right? If you turn it off and then turn it back on you have the bios set to default correct? No changes to bios settings and it still happens? If so it certainly seems like a PSU problem, see if you can get a PSU to confirm.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

will do, thanks for your help

The first half of your problem sounds like a memory issue, as if the memory is not running at stable timings or voltages (that would explain the multiple resets and reset bios, as the motherboard sees it's not stable.. Resets, tries anynother time and then another time and then just gives up and resets the BIOS), but that doesn't really explain the second half plus, why would it need to reset all the time.. When it might work with standard settings..

Regardless, I would try a memtest.

And otherwise it will likely be the PSU.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

24 minutes ago, NUFCThomas said:

Hey,

Every time i turn my PC on, all the fans make noise and lights come on etc for a second then turn off, again it happens for a second or two longer then turns off then finally on the third attempt in comes on, it also resets the whole bios every time this happens. It does this every time. the only exception is when i shut down my PC and leave the power from the mains on and start it back up within say an hour of shutting down it comes on in one go. Does any one know why this may be happening?

thanks in advance for any replies

Specs below 

Your OC is unstable, or your PSU is defective/worn out/a potato. Basically the BIOS/mobo is hard resetting because a piece of hardware is not remaining stable during bootup with your OC settings, which is why it resets to defaults each time. Swap out your PSU, or try running without an OC or with less of an OC for a while an test how it performs. Could also be memory as @Minibois suggested above; either way, trial and error will narrow down the cause.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Besides what said, CMOS battery might have died if BIOS gets reseted on every boot.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, kirashi said:

Your OC is unstable, or your PSU is defective/worn out/a potato. Basically the BIOS/mobo is hard resetting because a piece of hardware is not remaining stable during bootup with your OC settings, which is why it resets to defaults each time. Swap out your PSU, or try running without an OC or with less of an OC for a while an test how it performs. Could also be memory as @Minibois suggested above; either way, trial and error will narrow down the cause.

OC has never been unstable cause it was done by a PC building company and worked for years, plus the bios reset removed the OC and every other setting

3 hours ago, Minibois said:

The first half of your problem sounds like a memory issue, as if the memory is not running at stable timings or voltages (that would explain the multiple resets and reset bios, as the motherboard sees it's not stable.. Resets, tries anynother time and then another time and then just gives up and resets the BIOS), but that doesn't really explain the second half plus, why would it need to reset all the time.. When it might work with standard settings..

Regardless, I would try a memtest.

And otherwise it will likely be the PSU.

Thanks, ill try the test when im on my pc next

8 hours ago, NUFCThomas said:

OC has never been unstable cause it was done by a PC building company and worked for years, plus the bios reset removed the OC and every other setting

OC's can become unstable overtime as hardware degrades due to stress that can be caused by higher temps or voltages, or even thermal paste wearing out. That being said, if it still does this with default BIOS settings, then it definitely points to hardware. Check the CMOS battery, pull out all memory except for a single stick, and swapping your PSU are all good testing steps. Just remember to change only one variable at a time, boot up, and see how it performs. When it stops taking 3 times to boot, you'll have found the problem hardware.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)