Good/Excellent 1080p monitor for PS4 Pro

JeremiahDevitt

I'd be very grateful if you could help me in looking for a good gaming monitor with very specific (and rather odd) requirements: it must be 1080p. in resolution (native, and hence best, resolution of Bloodborne, the game I wish to play), it must be able to be set to a 60Hz refresh rate (as the PS4 Pro really can do no better, although I imagine any modern monitor of quality can do higher) and it must have a good response time (1ms is said to be the best).

Quality of build and screen is as important as anything: there are a great number of budget (i.e. dear but not very dear) monitors that reach these specifications, but they apparently either have rickety stands or bleed-through or dubious colouration (or a host of other malaises: flickering, ghosting, smearing et usque ad nauseam) I really would be interested to know of really good specimens. I examined the  LG 24GM79G and Viewsonic XG2401 as specimens of a low price  (relatively speaking), but both get seriously condemnatory reviews from some people, hence the desire to pay more. There are a whole series of Samsungs I know nothing of and I am sure dozens of others.

Many thanks indeed.

I am sorry, no: Scotland. I ought to have noted it.

''Ornate'' is very kind of you: I think ''odd'' would be better. Insofar as I know I am slightly mad and always have been, although I am academic enough to largely escape interference. I had a very happy but unusual childhood in my aunt's library. Mercifully there are or were a fair few eccentrics in my home town: there's ''The Ancient Mariner'' for one  -- so called because ''he stoppeth one in three'' in the street to lecture them about local history! I find I fit in reasonably well, well enough to be given half rates at the local hotel-cum-restaurant.

4 hours ago, JeremiahDevitt said:

''Ornate'' is very kind of you: I think ''odd'' would be better. Insofar as I know I am slightly mad and always have been, although I am academic enough to largely escape interference. I had a very happy but unusual childhood in my aunt's library. Mercifully there are or were a fair few eccentrics in my home town: there's ''The Ancient Mariner'' for one  -- so called because ''he stoppeth one in three'' in the street to lecture them about local history! I find I fit in reasonably well, well enough to be given half rates at the local hotel-cum-restaurant.

I shall be honest and say that I'm not wholly sure if you're trolling or not; either way you sure do have a knack for writing and you should perhaps consider delving into some sort of writing. Academic writing tends to be a bit dry though, unless you risk it and go the way of Yanis Varoufakis' flowery papers.

I'm also academic and introverted enough to escape interference as you say, but I also know how to alter my speech depending on the circumstances; in this case you might just be eliciting the ire of people who would have otherwise helped you. In no way do I mean to attack you as I like your speech style; I'm merely trying to help even if it might not seem as such. I had a friend in a similar position. It's always good to adapt, and as long as you know who you are deep down there are no real drawbacks to it.

Thank you so much for such a detailed and thoughtful reply.

No, I am not trying to get a rise out of you: this is genuinely how I write. I'm very pleased that you like my prose style from an aesthetic point of view (I can say the same of yours). I agree with you completely that we should adapt our speech to people we meet: a Jesuit friend of mine calls it being a good community man – in rough terms, I probably sound like a priggish little sod to most people.

I think you're referring to what my old English and German tutor used to call ''cop on'', a phrase she got from her Irish father, so it may not be well known here in the UK – the feeling of how to fit in. Unfortunately I simply don't have it: I will be candid and admit this is probably because I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. I'm about as responsive as a dolmen. I envy you that wonderful skill and try as hard as I can to learn it.

I do have some poems published in an H.P. Lovecraft magazine, I will try and find them. I was lucky enough to have a classical education and did really quite well but my health broke down completely and I ended up in an asylum: I am slowly getting better.

To anyone reading: recommendations are still very welcome. I'm completely confused!

Look for the 3 monitors in this link

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100208764 601305587 600416631 601294990 600559798

I have chosen freesync since Sony may add support for freesync just like Microsoft did.

Also, the brands listed in the link are samsung and lg. No hassle for replacements based on my experience.

Do not go below 32 inch as 4k below that is useless.

1 minute ago, AkhTwo said:

Look for the 3 monitors in this link

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100208764 601305587 600416631 601294990 600559798

I have chosen freesync since Sony may add support for freesync just like Microsoft did.

Also, the brands listed in the link are samsung and lg. No hassle for replacements based on my experience.

Do not go below 32 inch as 4k below that is useless.

If you don't care about freesync, this is a pretty good deal.

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824011158

I'm very grateful, but as it happens I'm actually looking for a 1920 x 1080 monitor (on reddit advice to stick to native resolution) as the plan is immerse myself in Bloodborne (enormous Lovecraft fanatic).

Take a look at the Dell U2414H, it doesn't look like much on paper but it performs admirably in mixed usages and should be fine for gaming. It may seem like an inferior option compared to monitors marketed to gamers but in practice it performs fine and it will have much better quality. You can learn more about it's responsiveness and other aspects of the monitor here:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-u2414h/#Responsiveness

1 hour ago, Sombra said:

Take a look at the Dell U2414H, it doesn't look like much on paper but it performs admirably in mixed usages and should be fine for gaming. It may seem like an inferior option compared to monitors marketed to gamers but in practice it performs fine and it will have much better quality. You can learn more about it's responsiveness and other aspects of the monitor here:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-u2414h/#Responsiveness

Does it have freesync?

6 hours ago, Some Random Member said:

Does it have freesync?

No but if this monitor is going to be used for a PS4 only, freesync shouldn't be necessary. And I doubt Sony will ever put FreeSync: 1. Sony is wierd like that and 2. The processor might not even support it as I think it is based of GCN 1.0 which doesn't support FreeSync. 

10 minutes ago, Sombra said:

No but if this monitor is going to be used for a PS4 only, freesync shouldn't be necessary. And I doubt Sony will ever put FreeSync: 1. Sony is wierd like that and 2. The processor might not even support it as I think it is based of GCN 1.0 which doesn't support FreeSync. 

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/10/17105224/microsoft-xbox-one-amd-freesync-support

The Sony hardware is the same as xbox, so Sony should roll out a update too.