Freesync,gsync,vsync wtf?????

DrThots

So after multiple posts about which monitor is better, I've got a lot of opinions and it basically got narrowed down to 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VS248HR-Gaming-Monitor-DVI-D/dp/B014RKZ81O/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1525523836&sr=8-15&keywords=144hz+1ms

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0158L13M4/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-G2460VQ6-Monitor-DisplayPort-response/dp/B015510R4M/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I was told to buy the 3rd monitor as it has 75 hz, 1 ms and 24". Of corse it would cost a bit more but this is the absolute limit of my budget so why not go all out with it. 

I have a GTX 1060 with I5 6600K and I was wondering If I would be able to get 75hz with it. I heard it was only accessible with AMD gpu's with freesync.

Then I asked around and I heard it was possible with fast sync or something. Can I get a clear answer? 

1. What games do you play? 144Hz on the first option is a significant advantage to 75Hz in fast paced games.

2. Freesync and Gsync doesnt matter as long as you chop the graphics settings low enough to prevent frame rates from dipping below the refresh rate (it only works when fps is lower than refresh rate). More of a problem for the 144Hz monitor, but the smoothness is well worth the sacrifice of effects.

3. Fast sync is an inproved version of Vsync, basically a frame rate limiter to prevent screen tearing because the frame rate is much higher than the refresh rate. You can use fast sync regardless of monitor, so dont worry.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

10 minutes ago, DrThots said:

I have a GTX 1060 with I5 6600K and I was wondering If I would be able to get 75hz with it. I heard it was only accessible with AMD gpu's with freesync.

base refreshrate of a monitor without additional fuzz is available to any card with high enough bandwidth on the display output to use.
75Hz 1080p is definitely useful with a 1060. The monitor supports freesync optionally which is only usable with an AMD card. that is not a negative for you. It is just a "not- positive".

11 minutes ago, DrThots said:

Then I asked around and I heard it was possible with fast sync or something. Can I get a clear answer? 

Fast sync is NVidia only and is to prevent the input lag from VSync but also to eliminate tearing from No-Sync. It does't really make much of a difference:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

You can absolutely run it at 75hz, even if it means overclocking the display in Nvidia control panel, but probably windows will just detect it as a 75hz display.

Vsync: compatible with both AMD and Nvidia, available on all monitors usually

Gsync: nvidia only, you pay extra for their monitors

Freesync: cheaper than nvidia's solution but only AMD compatible

So if you want to be able to use gsync, you need a gsync display for your 1060, or just a vsync monitor. 

You can always use freesync monitor but then it'll default to vsync.

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

1. What games do you play? 144Hz on the first option is a significant advantage to 75Hz in fast paced games.

I did q quick search. Why do you think No 1 is 144Hz. Seems to me like it isn't.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

3 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

base refreshrate of a monitor without additional fuzz is available to any card with high enough bandwidth on the display output to use.
75Hz 1080p is definitely useful with a 1060. The monitor supports freesync optionally which is only usable with an AMD card. that is not a negative for you. It is just a "not- positive".

Fast sync is NVidia only and is to prevent the input lag from VSync but also to eliminate tearing from No-Sync. It does't really make much of a difference:

So I can use fast sync? And If so, how do I turn it on

Dunno what you had covered before so this may be a repeat.

If you want variable refresh rate with your current GPU, you need to get G-sync, which I'm not sure is possible at all on your budget. Those monitors with freesync wont use it with nvidia GPUs, it'll just be a plain monitor.

Basically you'll be running in one of three scenarios:

1, vsync off - you get max refresh possible at risk of tearing

2, vsync on - you'll run up to the refresh of the monitor, with appropriate settings, you can try to cap it there. no tearing. Fast action gamers may notice increased lag but I can't myself.

3, fast sync - card runs flat out and shows latest frame. similar to vsync without as much latency, but only really works if the unlimited framerate you're pushing is a lot faster than the monitor refresh. Again depends on game and setting.

Of the three listed, none jump out at me. I'd prefer a 24" for general windows use.

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I can't see 144Hz on the 1st one?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Dunno what you had covered before so this may be a repeat.

If you want variable refresh rate with your current GPU, you need to get G-sync, which I'm not sure is possible at all on your budget. Those monitors with freesync wont use it with nvidia GPUs, it'll just be a plain monitor.

Basically you'll be running in one of three scenarios:

1, vsync off - you get max refresh possible at risk of tearing

2, vsync on - you'll run up to the refresh of the monitor, with appropriate settings, you can try to cap it there. no tearing. Fast action gamers may notice increased lag but I can't myself.

3, fast sync - card runs flat out and shows latest frame. similar to vsync without as much latency, but only really works if the unlimited framerate you're pushing is a lot faster than the monitor refresh. Again depends on game and setting.

Of the three listed, none jump out at me. I'd prefer a 24" for general windows use.

So Fastsync will run perfectly If my FPS on a game for example, Overwatch, is higher than the Refresh rate. So If I get 80 FPS on max setting with a 75hz monitor, it will run perfectly fine and no mess ups

5 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

I did q quick search. Why do you think No 1 is 144Hz. Seems to me like it isn't.

5 minutes ago, porina said:

I just looked at the link OP provided and saw '144Hz 1ms'. Damn

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

9 minutes ago, The Viking said:

Vsync: compatible with both AMD and Nvidia, available on all monitors usually

Gsync: nvidia only, you pay extra for their monitors

Freesync: cheaper than nvidia's solution but only AMD compatible

So if you want to be able to use gsync, you need a gsync display for your 1060, or just a vsync monitor. 

You can always use freesync monitor but then it'll default to vsync.

whatabout fast sync

2 minutes ago, DrThots said:

So Fastsync will run perfectly If my FPS on a game for example, Overwatch, is higher than the Refresh rate. So If I get 80 FPS on max setting with a 75hz monitor, it will run perfectly fine and no mess ups

Fastsync would be similar to vsync in that case. You will render one frame per refresh. For fastsync to have much value, you'd need to do much more than the monitor refresh.

e.g.

With vsync, it renders the frame and waits for the next refresh to display it. Doesn't matter how quickly you render the frame. There is a kinda built in lag of about one refresh in this way.

With fastsync, it renders frames continuously. The last complete one is shown on refresh, so it is the "freshest". If you're only rendering about one frame per refresh, it'll be similar to v-sync.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

Fastsync would be similar to vsync in that case. You will render one frame per refresh. For fastsync to have much value, you'd need to do much more than the monitor refresh.

e.g.

With vsync, it renders the frame and waits for the next refresh to display it. Doesn't matter how quickly you render the frame. There is a kinda built in lag of about one refresh in this way.

With fastsync, it renders frames continuously. The last complete one is shown on refresh, so it is the "freshest". If you're only rendering about one frame per refresh, it'll be similar to v-sync.

then what would make fast sync better than v sync? having 120 fps on 75hz?

14 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

2. Freesync and Gsync doesnt matter as long as you chop the graphics settings low enough to prevent frame rates from dipping below the refresh rate (it only works when fps is lower than refresh rate). More of a problem for the 144Hz monitor, but the smoothness is well worth the sacrifice of effects.

3. Fast sync is an inproved version of Vsync, basically a frame rate limiter to prevent screen tearing because the frame rate is much higher than the refresh rate. You can use fast sync regardless of monitor, so dont worry.

overwatch, fortnite

Just now, DrThots said:

then what would make fast sync better than v sync? having 120 fps on 75hz?

input lag is supposedly lower with fast sync. Have you even watched the video? 

If not, STOP

watch

come back

ask questions

3.Use

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

input lag is supposedly lower with fast sync. Have you even watched the video? 

If not, STOP

watch

come back

ask questions

I did watch the video before you guys posted it. I understood the basics of fastsync, freesync, gsync and vsync, the only thing Im worried about is if it's compatible with my gtx 1060 and how it will effect it

2 minutes ago, DrThots said:

I did watch the video before you guys posted it. I understood the basics of fastsync, freesync, gsync and vsync, the only thing Im worried about is if it's compatible with my gtx 1060 and how it will effect it

gtx1060 is compatible with fastsync, gsync and vsync. You'll just have to pick the one you prefer or the one that suits the situation the best.

the goal is to avoid screen tearing, like in this video:

at some point you can see the image is cut in two and don't match perfectly. That's what these technologies try to stop.

What they'll do is match the gpu image output to the screen output. So if your gpu suddently outputs 60fps, the screen will show 60hz, but if it goes down to 45fps, then the screen will go down to 45hz.

8 minutes ago, The Viking said:

gtx1060 is compatible with fastsync, gsync and vsync. You'll just have to pick the one you prefer or the one that suits the situation the best.

the goal is to avoid screen tearing, like in this video:

at some point you can see the image is cut in two and don't match perfectly. That's what these technologies try to stop.

What they'll do is match the gpu image output to the screen output. So if your gpu suddently outputs 60fps, the screen will show 60hz, but if it goes down to 45fps, then the screen will go down to 45hz.

so thats what freesync does. hmm kinda wished i had a amd gpu now

9 minutes ago, DrThots said:

so thats what freesync does. hmm kinda wished i had a amd gpu now

no, they all do that, nvidia's solution too

AMD just made it a software solution thus cutting costs, while nvidia's solution uses a chip on the screen which the manufacturer has to pay for, making gsync monitors more expensive than freesync. 

At the end of the day you lose somewhere, AMD doesn't have the fatest cards on the market, while with nvidia you pay extra for the monitor but have the faster card.

3 minutes ago, The Viking said:

no, they all do that, nvidia's solution too

AMD just made it a software solution thus cutting costs, while nvidia's solution uses a chip on the screen which the manufacturer has to pay for, making gsync monitors more expensive than freesync. 

At the end of the day you lose somewhere, AMD doesn't have the fatest cards on the market, while with nvidia you pay extra for the monitor but have the faster card.

My monitor can run games Minimun 80+ fps. Usually around 80-140 depending on the game on high settings. Should i be going on fast sync? Or which sync if not

This is too confusing i have a gtx 970 and its a big dilemma. its a shame what they did to monitors

18 minutes ago, drinklime said:

This is too confusing i have a gtx 970 and its a big dilemma. its a shame what they did to monitors

Do you get 75hz+?

32 minutes ago, DrThots said:

My monitor can run games Minimun 80+ fps. Usually around 80-140 depending on the game on high settings. Should i be going on fast sync? Or which sync if not

You can use fast sync regardless of monitor, just enable it all the time.

Gsync is expensive, so at this point just ignore it.

You cant use Freesync with Nvidia card, so whether the monitor supports it is less of a concern.

in short, for the best experience, use Fast sync and Gsync.

Desktop benching: