AMD's Z490 Chipset, Threadripper 2 in August 2018, Intel's X399 Delayed?

Well, this is certainly interesting.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12711/german-it-distributor-publishes-amd-intel-roadmaps-z490-z390-8core-cfl-in-q4

With Computex just around the corner, a lot of thought is being put to exactly what are we expecting to see at the show. There are questions about AMD’s next generation Threadripper parts, and when Intel is going to launch the Z390 chipset whose name has been floating around for a number of months now. Due to a video published online by bluechip Computer, an IT Distributor based in Germany, some more information is starting to come through.

2_575px.png.e79832cf3bebe2f949b68742e9ac40ad.png

Q4_575px.png.77948b8d4f2a456e9b8babf4c1d33cb7.png

Obviously, someone at the German IT company messed up, but it's great fodder for us. Yet, this is also pretty strange.

First, since it's on two slides, AMD is releasing a Z490 Chipset, we've never heard of it before and no one yet knows what it means. Besides being a poke in the Intel marketing department's eye. Built in wifi, more USB ports and 10 Gbit Ethernet? No clue! We can speculate on that.

We have our first real dates for the Threadripper refresh, though it appears we're not getting a new chipset with it. (Probably a good thing.) I'm going to guess 4.5 Ghz max boost on a single core, give they are the binned chips.

In contrast, there's no mention of the Cascade Lake-X parts, which would be the X299 refresh. That's been expected for Q3'18 for a bit, so that seems strange.  As Anandtech mentioned, it might just not be on this specific company's timeline. Also in Intel news, Z390 is coming far earlier than the 8 core Coffee Lake part, which seems on track for the actual launch of the 8700k in December. (8700k was a near paper launch with full availability in December 2017, which puts the 8780k(?) on track for the same window.)

It's going to be a weird summer of Motherboard reviews with no associated new CPUs to test in them.

Z490? first B350 and now this.

Are AMD just trying to be douches at this point? Or just trying to make consumers even more confused lol.

PS I do like AMD but this is a bit of a sh***y move imo.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I was just about to write this post xD

The roadmap does indeed seem interesting, why release motherboards without CPUs?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

42 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The roadmap does indeed seem interesting, why release motherboards without CPUs?

Well if Intel releases CPU's with no motherboards *cough* 3+ month for wait B and H 3xx boards for non-K chips *cough* AMD are trying to be original and doing it the other way around :P 

(Granted, they could be used on the Z370 boards but that meant buying an expensive board for no real reason.)

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

My guess is that it's, functionally, the AM4+ PCH. AM4 will almost be 2 years old when it releases, as there's actually been both boards & APUs available since Nov 2016 on the platform. Thus, they probably are updating the additional features to add more USB compatibility and other little things that we didn't see in X470. Though given how little to do the PCH has in most AMD motherboards for the last decade, it's probably also a more high-end part. Built-in Wifi and other "creature features" would make the most sense.

5 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Well if Intel releases CPU's with no motherboards *cough*3+ month for wait B and H 3xx boards*cough* AMD are trying to be original and doing it the other way around :P 

(Granted, they could be used on the Z370 boards but that meant buying an expensive board for no real reason.)

This competition is getting really weird, man.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

This competition is getting really weird, man.

There's quite a logical reason for AMD's recent naming conventions, given they're just replicating Intel's established ones, but it is getting funny.

It'll be really weird if Z390 & Z490 both launch around the same time, and both without any corresponding new CPU launches. Which, if that happens, actually means both PCHs serve roughly the same purposes as a soft reset of the product stack in anticipation of the next generation of CPUs.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

There's quite a logical reason for AMD's recent naming conventions, given they're just replicating Intel's established ones, but it is getting funny.

It'll be really weird if Z390 & Z490 both launch around the same time, and both without any corresponding new CPU launches. Which, if that happens, actually means both PCHs serve roughly the same purposes as a soft reset of the product stack in anticipation of the next generation of CPUs.

I mean, we all knew AMD was copying Intel's chipset naming scheme, and now their CPU roadmap. It seems they're both just copying each other at this point. Also, what happened to VIA? I heard they were supposed to make a comeback this year, but I haven't heard anything since.

Maybe they just pulled the Homer Simpson walking into a bush to avoid everything going on with AMD and Intel...

Hopefully this time we get to see the OC-formula on the asrock AMD lineup this time

I mean, we all knew AMD was copying Intel's chipset naming scheme, and now their CPU roadmap. It seems they're both just copying each other at this point. Also, what happened to VIA? I heard they were supposed to make a comeback this year, but I haven't heard anything since.

Maybe they just pulled the Homer Simpson walking into a bush to avoid everything going on with AMD and Intel...

VIA? I don't think I've been paying attention

College student getting his Information Systems Degree, Furry, Gamer, Amateur Poet

Luna

Intel Core i9 7940x, Custom Water Loop, EVGA x299 Micro, 4x8 GB kit of Gskill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3000, Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti, 3 Tb's of SSD storage, 5TB HDD, 850 Watt EVGA Supernova g3, all inside a black and purple r1 from Parvum Systems

Laptops:

Anubis: Powerspec 1510 (sager NP8157)

Lucario: Razer Blade Stealth v4 (base model) this is my daily driver

Just now, Shodapop98 said:

VIA? I don't think I've been paying attention

Yeah, they announced that they would be coming back to the CPU market a while ago.

In case you don't know who/what they are, they were a common CPU/GPU producer a long time ago, during the Windows 95-XP era IIRC. I've got some motherboard with their chips on them in my basement. But when Intel and AMD gathered more popularity, they just kinda got phased out and essentially disappeared from that market.

Yeah, they announced that they would be coming back to the CPU market a while ago.

In case you don't know who/what they are, they were a common CPU/GPU producer a long time ago, during the Windows 95-XP era IIRC. I've got some motherboard with their chips on them in my basement. But when Intel and AMD gathered more popularity, they just kinda got phased out and essentially disappeared from that market.

Ah, yea I missed the Win-95 era cause I was born in 98

College student getting his Information Systems Degree, Furry, Gamer, Amateur Poet

Luna

Intel Core i9 7940x, Custom Water Loop, EVGA x299 Micro, 4x8 GB kit of Gskill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3000, Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti, 3 Tb's of SSD storage, 5TB HDD, 850 Watt EVGA Supernova g3, all inside a black and purple r1 from Parvum Systems

Laptops:

Anubis: Powerspec 1510 (sager NP8157)

Lucario: Razer Blade Stealth v4 (base model) this is my daily driver

VIA's x86 license is being used by Zhaoxin for CPU designs to stay in China. They're about a decade behind Intel & AMD, but the point is local development more than anything else. Though apparently they're going to be online a design on a TSMC node soon.

1 minute ago, Shodapop98 said:

Ah, yea I missed the Win-95 era cause I was born in 98

I wasn't technically around for it, but I did a fair bit of reading on it for the heck of it lol.

I wasn't technically around for it, but I did a fair bit of reading on it for the heck of it lol.

Good old days of Cyrix parts as well. Intel's twitter talked about the Pentium 2 launch today, as it's been 21 years.

Weirdly, The P2 is the only reason I know about Blur's Song 2.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Good old days of Cyrix parts as well. Intel's twitter talked about the Pentium 2 launch today, as it's been 21 years.

Weirdly, The P2 is the only reason I know about Blur's Song 2.

It's all about the Pentiums.

Wow, 21 years since the P2 launched. That just seems insane lol.

It was the PCMR's 7th birthday a bit ago as well.

It's all about the Pentiums.

Wow, 21 years since the P2 launched. That just seems insane lol.

It was the PCMR's 7th birthday a bit ago as well.

That's still a good ad, actually.

As for the Pentium joke: 

That song actually captures late 90s tech pretty well before the Dot Com bubble went up. The rapid increase in computational power was intense. In an era where processing power hasn't greatly increased that much in the last 5 years, the late 90s saw increases so fast that stuff really did seem outdated by the time it launched.

Also, your Database is still a disaster. /Forever Problem

39 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Z490? first B350 and now this.

Are AMD just trying to be douches at this point? Or just trying to make consumers even more confused lol.

PS I do like AMD but this is a bit of a sh***y move imo.

Kinda goes both ways, right?

That being said, I do wish AMD had more confidence in their own products, to make unique product names/numbers. They're not gonna shed the cheap/budget version of Intel when they label their stuff just like Intel. Then again, now Intel is starting to brand their stuff as AMD, so the confusion is over 8000.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

16 minutes ago, Notional said:

the confusion is over 8000.

One might say the confusion is

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

So the question then becomes, what happens when the confusion hits over 9000...

Then Intel has gone bankrupt, Brian Krzanich got sentenced in prison for life and AMD jacking up their prices all the to the next galaxy and nVidia is a pet to Lisa Sue with her obsession for BDSM and using nVidia CEO as her pet slave.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Z490 seems pretty absurd. It wouldn't accomplish anything if it was meant for TR, and they just launched X470 for Ryzen, what would they use it for? Plus they haven't used "Z" anywhere. Unless they'll replace A320 with Z490 just to make Z390 sound low end when it launches :P 

It wouldn't even step over an existing, recognizen name, Intel hasn't had a Z?90 yet. I don't know whether to distrust this source or distrust the minds at AMD's marketing team, but it has to be one of the two...

5 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Z490 seems pretty absurd. It wouldn't accomplish anything if it was meant for TR, and they just launched X470 for Ryzen, what would they use it for?

Secret 2800X launch.:P

2 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Secret 2800X launch.:P

Yeah, but it would have to be what, a 12-core? And then all those years of "all CPUs unlocked, same socket forever, come to teh dark side we have cookies" turned into "one chipset per CPU model"? I thought the idea was to one-up Intel in naming schemes, not in consumer unfriendliness :P 

(although, on a second thought, those names are par of the unfriendliness... :P)