Really unsure what to do to network my home properly !

xtasemusic

So i'm moving soon into a duplex I bought with my brother. Now we are only going to pay for 1 internet service but im having trouble with how to set it up. here is what I think might work , let me know if i'm wrong.

the Line comes in to the house and into modem , I connect the Modem to a Switch ( Unmanaged ? Managed ? ) then one cable from the switch goes to the bottom floor connected to a router and one goes upstairs and does the same ?

later on I might want to add a switch upstairs to route ethernet into the walls during construction. in terms of speeds , will I see any meaningfull impact ? the speed is 300mb up/down.

Share your suggestions if you have any and thanks in advance for the responses ! 

You'll want everything flipped. Your ISP will most likely give you only one external IP and putting a switch there, right after the modem(assuming it's just a modem not a combo unit), will mean both routers will request an IP, one will get it and the other won't. If you have Modem -> Router -> Switch per floor, then you can use an AP or two as needed for wireless distribution. You don't have to deal with IP conflicts and you don't have to worry about one router getting and IP and the other not.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You'll want everything flipped. Your ISP will most likely give you only one external IP and putting a switch there, right after the modem(assuming it's just a modem not a combo unit), will mean both routers will request an IP, one will get it and the other won't. If you have Modem -> Router -> Switch per floor, then you can use an AP or two as needed for wireless distribution. You don't have to deal with IP conflicts and you don't have to worry about one router getting and IP and the other not.

Where would the AP go ? connected to the switch ? or to the router ? where I live now its Modem--> router --->router it works ok but I have a feeling everything is messed up because speeds fluctuate like crazy on the second router.

3 minutes ago, xtasemusic said:

Where would the AP go ? connected to the switch ? or to the router ? where I live now its Modem--> router --->router it works ok but I have a feeling everything is messed up because speeds fluctuate like crazy on the second router.

The AP would connect to the switch and unless you have over 254 devices connected to the whole network (wired and wireless), you won't have to worry about IP address exhaustion or changing the subnet to be larger :)

When you do Modem > Router > Router you risk issues such as double NAT, conflicting IP addresses, and other general performance issues so if you connect one router to another, unless configured properly and NAT is disabled on the router furthest from the modem, then you'll have problems. Things can work with double NAT but performance and other issues can quickly arise and it makes life much more painful that it needs to be.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

The AP would connect to the switch and unless you have over 254 devices connected to the whole network (wired and wireless), you won't have to worry about IP address exhaustion or changing the subnet to be larger :)

When you do Modem > Router > Router you risk issues such as double NAT, conflicting IP addresses, and other general performance issues so if you connect one router to another, unless configured properly and NAT is disabled on the router furthest from the modem, then you'll have problems. Things can work with double NAT but performance and other issues can quickly arise and it makes life much more painful that it needs to be.

Thanks a lot man ! Was about to make a mistake if I hadn't asked here ! 

Why not run one router 2 vlans with a switch and AP on each vlan?

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2018 at 6:09 PM, ltguy said:

Why not run one router 2 vlans with a switch and AP on each vlan?

what in the hell is a Vlan hahaa, im really a noob. gotta do more research.