Replacing PSU Fan.... a really stupid idea?

LaboonTheWhale

Hey guys

So I have the Corsair SF600 and the fan is quite noisy as many have stated. i have a noctua 92mm i wanted to replace the original with.

I hear that opening the PSU can be a bad idea as you can shock yourself. I dont consider myself an absolute novice tinkering on PCs but definitely no seasoned veteran.

I would love to replace it with a smaller fan but should i not risk it?

You'll void the warranty, but as long as you aren't jabbing screwdrivers into it you should be fine.  Attempt to boot the system with the PSU unplugged from the wall to discharge it.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Well I wouldn’t go smaller. I’d get the same size. Replaced my old fan with some Corsair case fan. Also ran the rpm wire to my mobo so I could see the rpm too. 

I didnt die but you also don’t have to touch anything in the psu. Just unplug the fan and plug the other one in once you attach these cable. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Oh you can die opening up a power supply if you aren't careful. That being said, if you aren't poking around it you can definitely replace the fan.

As others stated..

It’s possible 

Discharge PSU

Don’t poke around 

RGB fan or no go

Current Rig

Thermaltake Tempered Glass Chassis W/ 3 LED Fans
Side Mounted MSI GTX 1070 8GB Armour Edition
Gigabyte Gaming 7 Mobo
KabyLake i7 7700k
Thermaltake AIO Cooler - Dual RGB Fans
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
EVGA 750w PSU
500GB Samsung EVO M.2
750GB Crucial SSD
1TB WD HDD
Win 10 Pro

26 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

So I have the Corsair SF600 and the fan is quite noisy as many have stated.

What system is it used with??

What about the rest??

i have a noctua 92mm i wanted to replace the original with.

Don't because the Noctua doesn't fit -> too tall and not enough fan RPM.

And if you do that, you change the specification of the PSU without modifying the overload trip points of the PSU wich will cause damage to your PSU...

I hear that opening the PSU can be a bad idea as you can shock yourself. I dont consider myself an absolute novice tinkering on PCs but definitely no seasoned veteran.

No, don't do that!

Because the Shock risk and thus you dying is the least of your problems.

Because if you touch the PSU and modify it, YOU become the manufacturer. ANd if something goes wrong, that is a huge problem for you. If you live in an appartment complex and you PSU causes a fire, that complex burns down, you have to pay for that.

Also the Fan is something that is tested in the Safety test every (decent quality) PSU has to go through...

SO no, do NOT replace the fan!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Just call up the company. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

If it's still under warranty it will be much reasonable to ask for replacement.

But it is doable to replace the fan by yourself, you need to see the voltage and ampere rate and match current fan (eq: 12v/2a)

Don't bother. Buy a new PSU and throw it away.

hi.

52 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Just call up the company. 

It's normal, the stock fan is just loud

47 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

If it's still under warranty it will be much reasonable to ask for replacement.

But it is doable to replace the fan by yourself, you need to see the voltage and ampere rate and match current fan (eq: 12v/2a)

The replacement will just sound like ass, corsair makes loud fans 

5 minutes ago, tj_420 said:

Don't bother. Buy a new PSU and throw it away.

What's he going to get?  The sf600 is one of the best

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

What system is it used with??

What about the rest??

Don't because the Noctua doesn't fit -> too tall and not enough fan RPM.

Presumably laboon has the 9x14, a perfectly suitable fan that has shown itself capable of cooling an sf600 in past testing

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

And if you do that, you change the specification of the PSU without modifying the overload trip points of the PSU wich will cause damage to your PSU...

No, don't do that!

Because the Shock risk and thus you dying is the least of your problems.

Because if you touch the PSU and modify it, YOU become the manufacturer. ANd if something goes wrong, that is a huge problem for you. If you live in an appartment complex and you PSU causes a fire, that complex burns down, you have to pay for that.

Also the Fan is something that is tested in the Safety test every (decent quality) PSU has to go through...

SO no, do NOT replace the fan!

No argument here other than you are way overblowing the risk.  

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 hour ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Hey guys

So I have the Corsair SF600 and the fan is quite noisy as many have stated. i have a noctua 92mm i wanted to replace the original with.

As suggested if it is in warranty try going that route first, as for replacement it's very possible to do with the proper precautions and safety. I've done it back in the day with a Corsair TX series PSU. 

As per the usual when opening a PSU be sure to unplug it from the wall press the power button the system and leave it  for at least 60mins before opening for most of the energy in the capacitors to drain. When open take note of the locations of the contacts where the capacitors are and to never touch or short them. 

For the fans itself your most likely going to encounter a 2 pin connector and will require an adapter such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bundle-CB-32D-Adaptor-Converter-Mobile-Rack/dp/B005FYIBJ8/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_tr_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VK76PJXJSDZ2VW7ZVPQ4