Help for a Change

Happs

I've been playing PC games for 3 years now and im getting kind of bored of the games releasing. I look at xbox and ps4 and I like those type of games that come out on them. The best sellers for PC games have been the same for 2 years now. I want to switch but im not sure if I want to.

I mean, Xbox has Forza (which was a huge selling point for me personally) and PS4 has plenty of exclusives like The Last of Us Remastered (I really want to play that).

I would buy the base console for cheap off of craigslist and do what most people do and keep both your PC and the console. If you really want the 4K go with the PS4 Pro / Xbox One X.

Depends on what you want. If you want seemingly endless indie exclusives go PS4. If you want the few but really good Xbox exclusives like Cuphead and Forza Horizon/Motorsport then go Xbox.

But I think you can play some Xbox games on the Xbox App for Windows 10 IIRC.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

2 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

yes you can you can also play forza

2 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

I mean, Xbox has Forza (which was a huge selling point for me personally) and PS4 has plenty of exclusives like The Last of Us Remastered (I really want to play that).

I would buy the base console for cheap off of craigslist and do what most people do and keep both your PC and the console. If you really want the 4K go with the PS4 Pro / Xbox One X.

Depends on what you want. If you want seemingly endless indie exclusives go PS4. If you want the few but really good Xbox exclusives like Cuphead and Forza Horizon/Motorsport then go Xbox.

Yes, I'm not going to abandon my PC because I still need it.

I have around 90 games in my steam its just that I got bored of them, I also have battlefield and overwatch, the games that I really play now is just fortnite and overwatch, im sometimes bored of them too. Im just looking for something fresh that I wont really get bored of. The games on PC have really been the same this year.

some good games that i recommend are final fantasy xv (it is relatively new). i love the story.

and rainbow six siege. the best shooter game i ever played.

the metro redux series is a bit old but very good and metro exodus will release this year! i can't wait to play it. btw it's a story that continues you have to start from 2033 first

2 minutes ago, Technomancer__ said:

some good games that i recommend are final fantasy xv (it is relatively new). i love the story.

and rainbow six siege. the best shooter game i ever played.

the metro redux series is a bit old but very good and metro exodus will release this year! i cant wait to play it

What console do you have?

You can pick up PS4's dirt cheap, same with Xbox One S's. I'd grab one of those and go ham. It's not a huge investment, and they can be pretty fun, especially if you're playing with friends.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Happs said:

What console do you have?

oh those were for pc

i have a ps3 but i dont use it to play games anymore i watch stuff from plex and i use the controller with a Bluetooth dongle (you can use the wire if you want) to play games like final fantasy xv, rocket league and Witcher 3 from my pc

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

You can pick up PS4's dirt cheap, same with Xbox One S's. I'd grab one of those and go ham. It's not a huge investment, and they can be pretty fun, especially if you're playing with friends.

agreed 

13 hours ago, Happs said:

Yes, I'm not going to abandon my PC because I still need it.

than get the PS4 because most of the XBOx games can be played on PC as well.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 4/29/2018 at 11:08 AM, DaJakerBoss said:

^ This, just find an used console and used games (that the route I usually do).  Once done with the game and console, sell it off and recoup some money.

If OP goes the PS4 route, Horizon Zero Dawn.  That game is probably one of the best exclusive on that console.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, Ithanul said:

If OP goes the PS4 route, Horizon Zero Dawn.  That game is probably one of the best exclusive on that console.

...and can be Platinumed rather easily...

Get a PS4, play ANY Yakuza game. Profit. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

44 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

...and can be Platinumed rather easily...

One can enjoy a game without having to go trophy chasing.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

8 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

One can enjoy a game without having to go trophy chasing.

Yeah, but you don't really need to do it, except for those darn "Races"...

The rest is just Playing and enjoying the game to the fullest - and you're platinum. More or less...

http://www.ign.com/wikis/horizon-zero-dawn/Achievements_and_Trophies

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

Yeah, but you don't really need to do it, except for those darn "Races"...

The rest is just Playing and enjoying the game to the fullest - and you're platinum. More or less...

http://www.ign.com/wikis/horizon-zero-dawn/Achievements_and_Trophies

I don't bother going for platinum.  Never bothered to do so with any game I had on PS3 or PS4.

20 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I don't bother going for platinum.  Never bothered to do so with any game I had on PS3 or PS4.

I usually don't do that either, just did it with Horizon because it was easy.

I just want to throw it out there that maybe a Nintendo Switch may be a better complement to a PC than PS4 or Xbox One. PS4 and Xbox One share a lot of overlap with PC, though the PC version may be delayed, e.g. FF XV and Nioh. But ultimately it is your interest in the exclusive games that'll determine it.

Xbox One falls short on new exclusives vs Switch and PS4 since I think it is MS' mission to promote both Xbox and Windows, so MS exclusives will be on both going forward. The backwards compatibility to original Xbox and 360 does provide to some still exclusive legacy games though, so be sure to check that list of games too. They also offer a Game Pass subscription that is pretty cool if you haven't played a lot of those games before. The few games that are cross-buy with Windows (Xbox Play Anywhere games) on the subscription would also be available to play on your PC with Game Pass.

2 hours ago, ono said:

I just want to throw it out there that maybe a Nintendo Switch may be a better complement to a PC than PS4 or Xbox One. PS4 and Xbox One share a lot of overlap with PC, though the PC version may be delayed, e.g. FF XV and Nioh. But ultimately it is your interest in the exclusive games that'll determine it.

PS4 still has a ton of exclusive that are more than worth it.

Switch is kinda special, hasn't much "Grown Up" Stuff, but if you like Plattformers and stuff like that, it might be an option...

But back to the PS4 Exclusives:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_4-only_games

And then there are the Playstation exclusives like God of War (PS4 Remake available), Uncharted 1-3 (PS4 Remake available), Persona 4 and many others.

And also the Console Exclusives, that are only available on either XBox or PS4. 

I wouldn't ditch PC gaming, but Switch and PS4 both have some great games exclusives.

For Switch Super Mario Odyssey is one of the best platformers to ever come out. I wasn't as big a fan of Super Mario 64 as most but this one really nailed the 3D platforming genre like no game I have ever played. Zelda BOTW is probably the best game I have ever played when it comes to open world exploration, though I found other parts of it a little lacking (eg combat and replacing dungeons with puzzle shrines, some of which are really interesting but others don't have much to them). Overall still a really solid game though. Just climbing mountains and getting lost in the world is a lot of fun, especially since you usually have to do some route finding to get up mountains. I'm not big into racing games but I have to admit Mario Kart 8 is impressive graphically and has great control. Bayonetta 2 is really cool if you like fast paced action games from Platinum and I have heard good things about Mario + Rabbids (though I haven't played it). The 2018 catalog looks a little lacking but there is an RPG coming out I want to say in July called Project Octopath Traveler that looks pretty amazing. The game I'm really looking forward to though is Shin Megami Tensei V, but I doubt we see that until around 2020 since it just went into full production a few months ago (SMT is a hardcore dungeon crawler turn based RPG franchise). I bet we see Metroid Prime 4 in 2019 though, as there have been a lot of rumors about a big showing of the game at E3. Damn I hope we get a new Bravely Default game, that series is great on 3DS.

For PS4 Bloodborne is just flat out incredible. I never thought I'd like a Souls game and only picked it up because it was $20 and very well-reviewed, but I was hooked pretty quickly. The combat is so cool in that game, you have to be disciplined and plan your fight but unlike the mainline Souls games, you need to be pretty aggressive since countering hits is the way you gain back health you lost. It's such a cool dynamic and makes fights more interesting than in the main Souls games where you can hind behind a shield. The DLC for it adds the best boss fight I have ever played in a game, and Bloodborne is my favorite game to come out since Zelda: A Link to the Past in 1992. The Last of Us is one of the greatest stories ever told in gaming, and has interesting third person stealth combat. Horizon Zero Dawn is another must play, it reminds me a lot of Far Cry games but in third person in a dystopian future. It has a lot of fun options for combat. Persona 5 is the best turn based RPG I have played since 1998's classic Fallout 2. It's oozing style everywhere, has an amazing jazz/funk soundtrack, and the persona negotiation, plus one, and all out attack systems make its battle system one of the best I have ever played. Persona is a spin-off of the Shin Megami Tensei series I mentioned above.

I haven't played Yakuza Kiwami yet, but Yakuza 0 is nonstop fun just beating the shit out of people, almost like a modern day Double Dragon or Final Fight set in Japan. Plus it has some of the funniest side missions you'll ever see in a game (see the screencap below from a mission where you're trying to teach a shy dominatrix how to do her job xD).

06-2.jpg

Yakuza is a pretty unique series since in addition to the Double Dragon like fighting and the storytelling you have a ton of crazy minigames. In Yakuza 0 you can run a hostess cabaret club, there are two different rhythm minigames (one for karaoke, one a dancing game), shogi, mahjong, and you can walk into arcades (the game takes place in 1987 or 1988) and play old Sega games like Outrun, Space Harrier, Super Hang On, and a shooter whose name I can't remember. I'm liking Yakuza 0 so much I bought the entire series on PS4/PS3 other than the PS2 game Yakuza 2, since it's getting a PS4 remake in August called Yakuza Kiwmai 2 (Yakuza Kiwami 1 is a PS4 remake of the first Yakuza game that came out on PS2).

Then I can't forget the Uncharted games on PS4. They're very much like the last two Tomb Raider games if you played those on PC. I can't pick a favorite between the two series, they're so similar. But you have five Uncharted games on PS4 and they're all cheap.

I haven't played the new God of War game yet but damn it looks incredible, and the PS4 looks to have some pretty strong exclusives for 2018 and 2019 with Spiderman, Days Gone, The Last of Us Part 2, and Death Stranding, and though we haven't seen any gameplay yet for Ghost of Tsushima, I'm betting that will be a great game too since the developer Sucker Punch made some epic inFAMOUS games on PS3.

Also you'll need either a PS4 or an XBox One to play Red Dead Redemption 2 this year. Though I imagine we'll get a PC port a couple of years later like we did GTA V. Rockstar is just printing money with GTA Online for PC so no reason for them to not do similar with RDR 2.

As Xbox keeps getting more Xbox Play Anywhere titles I would likely skip Xbox One since you'll be able to play those on pc anyway.  Look at the exclusives for both Switch and PS4 and decide between those 2.

13 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Switch is kinda special, hasn't much "Grown Up" Stuff, but if you like Plattformers and stuff like that, it might be an option...

That's kind of my point. PC, PS4, and Xbox One target for "grown up stuff", as you put it. It is so different than the "family" target that Switch goes for (largely) and that it may be what the TC needs to mix it up with PC gaming.

But in any case, it seems the TC plays a lot of multiplayer shooters, so I think maybe the cheaper solution would be to try other genres on PC? I mean you could still get a console to experience the Sony single player experiences or Nintendo's various offerings (not all platformers).

So here's some PC games of a couple genres that I play that I'd recommend and I'm skipping games that are largely gunplay since maybe you're fatigued with that:

RPG: The Witcher 3, Dark Souls (and if you love that, maybe picking up a PS4 for Bloodborne is good for you), Final Fantasy X and XV (X is turn-based, XV is real-time), Dragon Age: Origins, Ni no Kuni II. Trails of Cold Steel or maybe Tokyo Xanadu (haven't played this one yet) could be indicators if you like school setting JRPGs and maybe be interested in Persona 5 on PS4.  If the Chrono Trigger on PC is patched up now, that would be a good retro choice.  I could go on and on as this is my fav genre :)

Action/adventure: Rise of the Tomb Raider (ok, lots of gun play but I mention it since it is a mix of exploration too, which is the sort of mix you'd get with Uncharted in PS4), Assassin's Creed: Origin (and if you do like open world exploration, Zelda on Switch may be your thing), Bayonetta (if you like this, the second is on Switch)

Adventure: Life is Strange, Walking Dead: Season One

Platformer: I don't play much on PC (that's what my Switch is for) but stuff like Super Lucky's Tale and Yooka Laylee may be an indicator

Racing: Forza Horizon 3

Puzzle: Gorogoa, Puyo Puyo Tetris (I think this is on PC now)

And there's the indie scene that I haven't played too much of yet. SteamWorld Dig 2. Stardew Valley.

1 hour ago, ono said:

That's kind of my point. PC, PS4, and Xbox One target for "grown up stuff", as you put it. It is so different than the "family" target that Switch goes for (largely) and that it may be what the TC needs to mix it up with PC gaming.

yes, and??

Most of the Nintendo Stuff is pretty basic and mostly the same Genere...
I've gotten a WiiU and there are a couple of great games on it but its not that awesome for various reasons. ANd the main reason it failed was the ridiculous Pricepoint of almost 400€ while offering only last gen Performance...

Switch isn't that much better in terms of Performance, though it has a couple more exclusivs.

But are they really interesting??
And after the Censoring issue with Tokyo Mirage FE on WiiU, I kinda dispise Nintendo for that alone...

1 hour ago, ono said:

RPG: The Witcher 3, Dark Souls (and if you love that, maybe picking up a PS4 for Bloodborne is good for you), Final Fantasy X and XV (X is turn-based, XV is real-time), Dragon Age: Origins, Ni no Kuni II. Trails of Cold Steel or maybe Tokyo Xanadu (haven't played this one yet) could be indicators if you like school setting JRPGs and maybe be interested in Persona 5 on PS4.  If the Chrono Trigger on PC is patched up now, that would be a good retro choice.  I could go on and on as this is my fav genre :)

You are missing a couple like Final Fantasy XII, though all of the Final Fantasy Series is available on all major Plattforms. 

As well as the Tales of... Series for example Tales of Zestiria and Tales of Beseria, both available on Steam and PS4.

1 hour ago, ono said:

Action/adventure: Rise of the Tomb Raider (ok, lots of gun play but I mention it since it is a mix of exploration too, which is the sort of mix you'd get with Uncharted in PS4),

Not that much 'Gunplay' and you might use the Bow most of the time anyway.

1 hour ago, ono said:

Assassin's Creed: Origin (and if you do like open world exploration, Zelda on Switch may be your thing), Bayonetta (if you like this, the second is on Switch)

And you are missing the most important things again:
Uncharted Series on Playstation, Far Cry 4 + 5 (PC, One and PS4).

And Darksiders as well.

And, for PS4, the mentioned God of War is also in this category as is Horizon Zero Dawn.

1 hour ago, ono said:

Platformer: I don't play much on PC (that's what my Switch is for) but stuff like Super Lucky's Tale and Yooka Laylee may be an indicator

PS4 has Ratchet and Clank, Raymen (PSN free Game this month) and also a couple of others.

like Crash Bandicoat...

1 hour ago, ono said:

And there's the indie scene that I haven't played too much of yet. SteamWorld Dig 2. Stardew Valley.

Also available on PS4...
https://store.playstation.com/de-de/product/EP2319-CUSA06829_00-STARDEW00000SIEE

Anyway, Switch isn't that great, Hardware is shit because its more like a mobile Device...

Buttom line is that the Switch is pretty expensive for the Hardware, there isn't a (cheap) standalone version on the Market for people who don't want the mobile shit...

And the PS4 is just soo much powerful and has some amazing titles you can't get anywhere else...