Intel's Q1/2018 Revenue: Strong Win

AnonymousGuy

The company's net income rose to $4.45 billion (£3.19 billion), or 93 cents per share, in the quarter ended March 31, from $2.96 billion, or 61 cents per share, a year earlier.

Net revenue rose to $16.07 billion from $14.80 billion.

Source: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/intel-results-beat-demand-data-202259604.html

Official Earnings Release: https://s21.q4cdn.com/600692695/files/doc_financials/2018/Q1/Q1-2018_EarningsRelease-FINAL.pdf

Pretty much a strong quarter likely due to the economy being in a bubble and EVERY company posting strong earnings.  In comparison to AMD, 81 million dollars income vs. 4.5 billion.  It's not even close.  The AMD Q1 2018 thread: 

Stock price is surging in afterhours trading up 10% to $57.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Security Flaws???  What Security Flaws....?

Mainstream doesn't care and the datacenter customers were clearly very happy with how Intel handled it with patching and working with OEM's to deliver those patches.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

9 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Mainstream doesn't care and the datacenter customers were clearly very happy with how Intel handled it with patching and working with OEM's to deliver those patches.

Yeah I never saw much of a reason to care once it was revealed that it required additional vectors to work, can only read rather than write, and said vectors could be mostly negated with browser changes it seemed rather irrelevant, not even worth updating tbh.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

It was only the easily lead on forums like this that thought the security flaws would effect stock prices etc.   Of course it didn't help that every tech media identity on the planet seized the opportunity to write an article that would generate more clicks than a clicker beetle in click beetle clicking competition.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

27 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Yeah I never saw much of a reason to care once it was revealed that it required additional vectors to work, can only read rather than write, and said vectors could be mostly negated with browser changes it seemed rather irrelevant, not even worth updating tbh.

I don't think it was really a big deal on home PC's but in the datacenter I thought a compromised VM could use these exploits to snoop on data from neighboring VM's which would be a massive-fucking-problem.  I could be wrong though.

7 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I don't think it was really a big deal on home PC's but in the datacenter I thought a compromised VM could use these exploits to snoop on data from neighboring VM's which would be a massive-fucking-problem.  I could be wrong though.

On a network? Well yes if it has the permission to access the other computer, or are you talking something like a sandbox, and though it could potentially do so it matters little as it can snoop all it wants can't send the data anywhere. (I guess it could be used to circumnavigate encryption that is the reason I say "most" below)

There are better methods to circumnavigate most VMs so eh its an issue but its not really that threatening when compared to normal exploits in most circumstances.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Amazing, Intel and even AMD both are behind pretty much all computers of the world and today's world is more depended of computers then ever... even with this huge responsibility and importance they profit less than the Banks, damn Banks profits are so messed up.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

39 minutes ago, Demonking said:

Well this is good for them now if they would allow for me to get the 8700k to work on my 270 strix motherboard. 

and you think they get all that money being suckers xD You're the sucker

8 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Banks profits are so messed up.

Well when you can hold the world's economic system hostage, have high level cronies embedded in governments around the world, and literally control the current super power's mint (the federal reserve  is a bank not a government agency) you can profit stupidly through methods that should be illegal....but aren't.

all that Intel had to do was to just give us the CPU they actually could deliver and not the one that can just beat AMD by a little and they would destroy them. Nvidia is much better at it's job, by not being so greedy. 

AMD is stuck between two giants, it's amazing how they can survive

6 minutes ago, asus killer said:

all that Intel had to do was to just give us the CPU they actually could deliver and not the one that can just beat AMD by a little and they would destroy them. Nvidia is much better at it's job, by not being so greedy. 

Intel kinda can't win in that regard. They came out with a 6c mainstream i7 finally, and people are pissed it doesn't work with boards meant for a 4c CPU. If they keep the boards supported, they're not changing enough. 

Also doesn't help Nvidia's public image that they're far beyond what Radeon can reach at the moment. Supporting the little guy is in. That's how AMD survives. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

57 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Indeed.  My operating theory is that they're being "allowed" to survive.  Intel could go to war and easily sell better products at prices that AMD couldn't beat.  Intel and NV choose instead to define themselves as "premium" brands and let AMD survive as "budget".  I bet AMD knows they can push back, but just not too hard for fear of incurring that wrath.  "If you're going to hit me you better make sure you kill me with that punch".

EDIT: I check for fun, Intel could afford to buy AMD twice over based on cash reserves vs. market cap.

7 hours ago, App4that said:

Intel kinda can't win in that regard. They came out with a 6c mainstream i7 finally, and people are pissed it doesn't work with boards meant for a 4c CPU. If they keep the boards supported, they're not changing enough. 

AMD sells us what she has to sell.

Intel doesn't give us more cores just because she doesn't want to. They were milking the 4c/8t to make a killing selling xeons that people today are overclocking and competing with todays Intel consumer CPU's, and this are 2011 CPUs like the X5675 with 6c/12t. Intel are a shitty company, with that we agree. :)

If it weren't for the ryzen, we would be rocking the 4c/8t 8700k xD

6 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Indeed.  My operating theory is that they're being "allowed" to survive.  Intel could go to war and easily sell better products at prices that AMD couldn't beat.  Intel and NV choose instead to define themselves as "premium" brands and let AMD survive as "budget".  I bet AMD knows they can push back, but just not too hard for fear of incurring that wrath.  "If you're going to hit me you better make sure you kill me with that punch".

EDIT: I check for fun, Intel could afford to buy AMD twice over based on cash reserves vs. market cap.

my theory is that they let AMD exist so they don't have problems with governments for being in a single company market, making them having a actual monopoly (this way they have a virtual one). That would bring them all sorts of problems.

10 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Apple could buy AMD twice in one year with the revenue from macs alone.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, asus killer said:

AMD sells us what she has to sell.

Intel doesn't give us more cores just because she doesn't want to. They were milking the 4c/8t to make a killing selling xeons that people today are overclocking and competing with todays Intel consumer CPU's, and this are 2011 CPUs like the X5675 with 6c/12t. Intel are a shitty company, with that we agree. :)

If it weren't for the ryzen, we would be rocking the 4c/8t 8700k xD

AMD would like you to think that, but wrong lol. Intel was already planning Coffee Lake way before Ryzen, all Ryzen did was move up the launch a few months. 

If AMD want's to sell me what I want, they'd sell the fastest CPU avalible ;)

If anyone asks you never saw me.