2700x or 8700k

Looking to build a new pc because I've been out of the game for awhile and not sure what everyone is choosing these days. PC will mainly be used for gaming and the occasional stream. Future upgradability would be nice too but that's not my main concern. Currently looking at the 2700x or 8700k or in the 350$ price range if there's better options out there. 

8700k IMO

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

1 minute ago, Spirit_ said:

Looking to build a new pc because I've been out of the game for awhile and not sure what everyone is choosing these days. PC will mainly be used for gaming and the occasional stream. Future upgradability would be nice too but that's not my main concern. Currently looking at the 2700x or 8700k or in the 350$ price range if there's better options out there. 

If it was only gaming I would’ve gone with the 8700k but it’s just the cores that your getting with the 2700x will really help your stream and is great for gaming

1 minute ago, Spirit_ said:

Welcome to the LTT forums! 

The 8700k is a better gaming CPU, the 2700x is a better workstation CPU.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

what kind of gaming? 8700k would be great for extremely high framerates, but if you're playing 1080p60 and want a fairly cool running CPU, then the 2700x would be the obvious choice.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1080p with the occasionally stream 2-3 times a week. 

A 8700k is more than fine for streaming, hell a 4c i7 did a great job. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

8700k would give the highest frame rates, however if you are limited to 60 hz I would look at something like a 2600. Intel's 1151 v2 socket has no guarantee of future chip support where as AMD has stated AM4 will support cps's through 2020 leaving a better upgrade path in the coming years. 

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

A 8700k is more than fine for streaming, hell a 4c i7 did a great job. 

If you ask people who only live by one source, then the 2700X is better if you like really stupid OBS settings for x264 encoding at a bitrate Twitch dot television doesn't even recommend.

All in all, 8700k is better, especially for high framerate gaming.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

4 minutes ago, Suika said:

If you ask people who only live by one source, then the 2700X is better if you like really stupid OBS settings for x264 encoding at a bitrate Twitch dot television doesn't even recommend.

All in all, 8700k is better especially for high framerate gaming.

I don't have an exceptionally large sample size of Twitch streamers I know, but I know a few. Highest spec between them is a 6700k. Seriously. The streaming difference is marketing, though the production and other workstation tasks do favor AMD and their cheap cores. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

The streaming difference is marketing.

Really?

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

I don't have an exceptionally large sample size of Twitch streamers I know, but I know a few. Highest spec between them is a 6700k. Seriously. The streaming difference is marketing, though the production and other workstation tasks do favor AMD and their cheap cores. 

It honestly feels like the 2700X fills a really niche audience of streamers, people who want the highest quality possible, borderline placebo, without having a second system with a dedicated capture card. AMD's marketing has been on point with that, though.

9 minutes ago, chckovsky said:

Really

Yes, really lol. Most the streamers I know stream console gameplay, why a i7 or i5 is fine for them. The also run capture cards. 

12 minutes ago, chckovsky said:

Really?

I literally just made a joke making fun of this example.

GN is right in the example they gave, but a Twitch streamer isn't streaming at 12Mbps and shouldn't be using the placebo quality mode medium quality.

Just now, Suika said:

I literally just made a joke making fun of this example.

GN is right in the example they gave, but a Twitch streamer isn't streaming at 12Mbps and shouldn't be using the placebo quality mode medium quality.

I got that, and I get what you mean, but I still disagree. Production quality keeps going up, and while it may not be as relevant today, I'm sure it is going to be relevant at some point, sooner rather than later IMO.

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yes, really lol. Most the streamers I know stream console gameplay, why a i7 or i5 is fine for them. The also run capture cards. 

Huh, well i must admit I didn't consider that.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

1 minute ago, chckovsky said:

I got that, and I get what you mean, but I still disagree. Production quality keeps going up, and while it may not be as relevant today, I'm sure it is going to be relevant at some point, sooner rather than later IMO.

I dunno, for right now, I'd rather rely on QuickSync or ShadowPlay than x264 encoding. Yes, the quality is a bit diminished, but the only time that should be a concern is if you have a consistent audience and you want to really grow, and at that point, the safer bet would be investing in a small second system with a capture card. I wouldn't dedicate your rig to streaming if you don't even know if it'll pay off anyway.