Need Help with cpu temps

dk7

Hey Guys......I was getting these temps when i was running Far Cry 5@4k using the Nvidia DSR.

I have a i7 7700 and Gtx 1070 with 16 gigs of Ram.

PS : I have a stock cooler.

Overheat.JPG

Did you forget to apply thermal paste or remove the plastic CPU cooler cover before installing it?

Edit: Oh wait, you are using the stock cooler.

Is it properly seated? Your CPU shouldn't reach 100°C.

15 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Did you forget to apply thermal paste or remove the plastic CPU cooler cover before installing it?

Edit: Oh wait, you are using the stock cooler.

Is it properly seated? Your CPU shouldn't reach 100°C.

I checked ....everything looks fine........just opened the bios......It shows 53 C.....This is not normal right?

P.S.: I live in a place where its kinda 45 C outside .........would that affect this?

Should I change my stock CPU?

14 minutes ago, dk7 said:

I checked ....everything looks fine........just opened the bios......It shows 53 C.....This is not normal right?

P.S.: I live in a place where its kinda 45 C outside .........would that affect this?

The ambient temperature of the room you are in definitly affects the temperature of the components.

Which case do you have?

How is it vented?

If your ambient is 45°C and your GPU is dumping another heat in the case and CPU itself is also working... poor little stock cooler.

17 minutes ago, dk7 said:

Ambient temps have a direct effect on cooling. 

Have you tried undervolting?

A new cooler would also help lower your temps.

Moved to Air Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Which case do you have?

How is it vented?

If your ambient is 45°C and your GPU is dumping another heat in the case and CPU itself is also working... poor little stock cooler.

Its a corsair spec alpha 01......here are some images........I think the hot air from gpu is making the stock cooler difficult to cool the cpu? 

IMG_20180420_144319240.jpg

IMG_20180420_144322736.jpg

IMG_20180420_144327467.jpg

9 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Ambient temps have a direct effect on cooling. 

Have you tried undervolting?

A new cooler would also help lower your temps.

Moved to Air Cooling.

Undervolting? DAYUM BRO....I aint that techie with my pc .......never even mess in the bios.............Abt that new cooler.....can you guys hook me a nice (medium ranged) one?

1 minute ago, dk7 said:

Its a corsair spec alpha 01......here are some images........I think the hot air from gpu is making the stock cooler difficult to cool the cpu? 

Which direction are your front case fans facing? The top and rear fans are currently intakes and the usual setup is top / rear exhaust and front / bottom intake.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Which direction are your front case fans facing? The top and rear fans are currently intakes and the usual setup is top / rear exhaust and front / bottom intake.

One of the front is an intake while the one under it is exhaust

Just now, dk7 said:

One of the front is an intake while the one under it is exhaust

That's counterproductive since it's recycling the same air. Flip the front fan so that they're both intake and flip the top/rear fans to exhaust to see if that helps your temps.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's counterproductive since it's recycling the same air. Flip the front fan so that they're both intake and flip the top/rear fans to exhaust to see if that helps your temps.

Thank you so much mate.....I shall try that and post if I have any problem..Have a good Day.

Yeah like WoodenMarker said, have both of your front fans as intake, and your rear fan as exhaust. As a suggestion from me I'd definitely upgrade that CPU cooler from stock if you're going to be running demanding games at 4K. It's just good practice to keep your CPU at reasonable temps under load. Having it throttle and hit 100 degrees will for sure cause damage to your chip. I'm unsure of your location but you can get a respectable air cooling solution for under £50 easily in the UK. Something to take into account. You'd be surprised the performance increase of a system when its running at a temperature it thrives in. Cheers. 

I'll try help you out. I'm partial to certain vendors but I'll never pretend to know something I don't. Stay cool. 

1 minute ago, Alcam said:

Yeah like WoodenMarker said, have both of your front fans as intake, and your rear fan as exhaust. As a suggestion from me I'd definitely upgrade that CPU cooler from stock if you're going to be running demanding games at 4K. It's just good practice to keep your CPU at reasonable temps under load. Having it throttle and hit 100 degrees will for sure cause damage to your chip. I'm unsure of your location but you can get a respectable air cooling solution for under £50 easily in the UK. Something to take into account. You'd be surprised the performance increase of a system when its running at a temperature it thrives in. Cheers. 

will do. I live in India btw.

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

?????I fixed the fans...... Tried everything....... The temps won't go down ????...... When I stress the cpu for like 2 minutes.... It gets 90 C......... Should I get a new Cooler? 

you should get a decent air cooler or 240mm watercooling

ps. if your monitor is not 4k don't force the game to run at 4k, you'll just lose performance and the game will not look "better" at all since the screen can only display an X amount of pixels and not more

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

30 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

you should get a decent air cooler or 240mm watercooling

ps. if your monitor is not 4k don't force the game to run at 4k, you'll just lose performance and the game will not look "better" at all since the screen can only display an X amount of pixels and not more

I wanted to just see how much frames I get @ 4k......(don't always play it though).

Can you guys suggest me which company to go for water cooler (a budget ranged) because I am stumped at what to buy.

Also, Thanks to everyone who are helping me out here :)

One Last thing I wanna add, that I was just stressing my CPU using CPU-Z, and in 2 minutes it went from 47 C to 90 C......Is this normal? That would be all , Thanks.

spikes are one thing and a constant 90C temperature is a different one, the 7700 is known for its high temps, delidding can help reduce the spikes but there's not much you can do about them since it's cpu a design flaw

my 8350 also used to have spikes too but replacing the TIM plus a good cooler fixed it and allowed me to overclock safely

advice: if you're going for liquid don't cheap out, you'll end up with a dead pump in a year, go for corsair (best you can get) or nzxt (a bit overpriced considering the pump and tubing quality, this brand is just for those who want the best looks and don't care about top performance imo) don't go for id-cool, thermaltake or any chinese knock off brands

otherwise go for a decent air cooler like the Noctua D15

play at your native resolution with vsync or frame cap to avoid unnecessary stress on the hardware

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 hour ago, dk7 said:

HEY GUYS!

I just googled and found this random article...I didn't know that other people faced it too...Please check it out?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/04/intel_i77700_heat_spike_problems/ 

As Intel explains, this is normal. When fans are ramping up and down, it's a problem with the fan settings and not the cpu. 

If you haven't yet, undervolting might solve your issue. By default, core voltage is set to Auto and will use more voltage than necessary which causes higher temps. Try setting voltage manually to 1.2v and testing for stability with a stress test. If it seems stable, you can try slowing lowering voltage a bit more and testing again. 

Watching oc'ing guides can help familiarize you with motherboard settings. You should only need to set the core voltage though. 

11 hours ago, dk7 said:

HEY GUYS!

I just googled and found this random article...I didn't know that other people faced it too...Please check it out?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/04/intel_i77700_heat_spike_problems/ 

That article mixes K and non-K models. Both have some issues with cooling, but yours isn't related. Your problem is your ambient temp being 20C higher than what it's in northern countries. Bigger heatsink will fix the problem.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 4/21/2018 at 3:54 AM, WoodenMarker said:

As Intel explains, this is normal. When fans are ramping up and down, it's a problem with the fan settings and not the cpu. 

If you haven't yet, undervolting might solve your issue. By default, core voltage is set to Auto and will use more voltage than necessary which causes higher temps. Try setting voltage manually to 1.2v and testing for stability with a stress test. If it seems stable, you can try slowing lowering voltage a bit more and testing again. 

Watching oc'ing guides can help familiarize you with motherboard settings. You should only need to set the core voltage though. 

Will undervolt cause the cpu speed run below stock speed or affect the boost speed?

5 hours ago, Itsmeagainhk said:

Will undervolt cause the cpu speed run below stock speed or affect the boost speed?

No, undervolting lowers the voltage. If voltage is too low, the system might be unstable which can result in freezes or crashes due to errors. This is why stress tests are used to check for stability after changing settings whether it be for undervolting or oc'ing. 

19 hours ago, Itsmeagainhk said:

The actual "stock" voltage for Intel chips has been 1.1V in past (Haswell and Devils Canyon). I run my Haswell CPU at very mild OC of 100MHz over turbo speed with voltage thats 0.05V higher than what "stock" would be.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv