iPhone X grabs 35% of industry profits in Q4 2017

30 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Haha a smart phone phone for $10,000.

Apple sells iwatches for that much. I think they even sold one for $17k a few years ago. 

Apple 'only' sold models in that price range in the first generation -- it was the inaugural Watch Edition, and they cost that much because they were solid gold!  I think that was an experiment to see whether or not gold smartwatches would be A Thing.  They did sell to some degree, but Apple thankfully realized that even wealthy fans weren't going to drop $10K-plus every few years.  The Watch Edition from Series 2 since has been ceramic, which is both much more affordable and surprisingly practical (ceramic doesn't really scratch).

Vertu's problem has long been... well, Apple.  Why get a jewel- and leather-encrusted smartphone from Vertu when an iPhone still looks good, performs better and costs a fraction of the price?

21 hours ago, CTR640 said:

I'm not surprised at all, too much iSheeps.

Come up with that all on your own?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

iphone x = apple logo + shiny metal + shit software + $1000+ price tag

I lost hope in humanity 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

20 minutes ago, wasab said:

iphone x = apple logo + shiny metal + shit software + $1000+ price tag

I lost hope in humanity 

Hopefully you will come to learn that you don't get to tell people how to spend their money. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Hopefully you will come to learn that you don't get to tell people how to spend their money. 

Ironic, since most isheep don't know how to spend it either, lol

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

2 hours ago, Noctus said:

Ironic, since most consumers don't know how to spend it either, lol

ftfy

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, Noctus said:

Ironic, since most isheep don't know how to spend it either, lol

Why learn when Apple can tell you how? xD It's darn good marketing though when they can sell everyone a $1,000 phone that is worth half that price tag.

39 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

....a $1,000 phone that is worth half that price tag.

Clearly not, the companies that are selling a similar tier phone are either losing money or making so little it's not even worth mentioning. Samsung and Apple are the only companies that are turning a meaningful profit and both charge similar amounts.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Why learn when Apple can tell you how? xD It's darn good marketing though when they can sell everyone a $1,000 phone that is worth half that price tag.

You could say that about just about every purchase anyone makes.

There are, right this second, millions of people spending money on things that I wouldn’t buy. Things that I could easily find an almost unlimited number of “better things to spend the money on”.

Perhaps I could take the time to tell them all that they should be buying something else that they don’t actually want, but I do.

However, I think I’ll stick to just understanding that they probably have different tastes, personal circumstances, disposable income etc to me and therefore it’s probably best for them to actually just buy the thing that they decided upon with those factors taken into account.

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I will be disappointed in them nevertheless. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

43 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Clearly not, the companies that are selling a similar tier phone are either losing money or making so little it's not even worth mentioning. Samsung and Apple are the only companies that are turning a meaningful profit and both charge similar amounts.

Ahah, guess you have never heard of one plus. Are you really up to date with the latest techonology here?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

48 minutes ago, abazigal said:

You could say that about just about every purchase anyone makes.

There are, right this second, millions of people spending money on things that I wouldn’t buy. Things that I could easily find an almost unlimited number of “better things to spend the money on”.

Perhaps I could take the time to tell them all that they should be buying something else that they don’t actually want, but I do.

However, I think I’ll stick to just understanding that they probably have different tastes, personal circumstances, disposable income etc to me and therefore it’s probably best for them to actually just buy the thing that they decided upon with those factors taken into account.

Sure, live and let live right? Problem is that these consumers seem to believe their products are superior because of the Apple logo which are quite annoying. It simply attracts mockery and ridicule.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

23 minutes ago, wasab said:

Problem is that these consumers seem to believe their products are superior because of the Apple logo which are quite annoying. It simply attracts mockery and ridicule.

They don’t care though. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

For me its sad that a luxury product (because that is exactly what the iphone x is) sold that much. 

1k for a phone... Geez people, stop buying stuff you dont need. Damn. I dont like apple, but if you do, (which is perfectly fine - if you still have judgement) just get the iphone 8. 

Edit: everyone can spend their money on whatever they want, some people think books are useless and yet I spend money on books every week. The problem is not buying "x", but getting the unnecessary "x": a ssd is not needed for any PC, but it is pretty nice. Getting 2Tb of nvme ssd just to store files which cannot benefit from the speed, that is stupid.

For me the iPhone X is this: just a luxury product that makes sense for some people that value status above logic, but should NOT be a massive "everyone's phone"

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

49 minutes ago, wasab said:

Ahah, guess you have never heard of one plus. Are you really up to date with the latest techonology here?

Ah, I guess you forgot how they still listen in on all your data....oh and how they had a whopping 1 billion~ in revenue in 2017 compared to the likes of samsung who had 90 billion in revenue (albeit not just from phones) and Apple who saw 230 billion in revenue (again, not just from phones). AND 2017 was the first year that One Plus actually turned a profit at all.

6 minutes ago, Taja said:

For me its sad that a luxury product (because that is exactly what the iphone x is) sold that much. 

1k for a phone... Geez people, stop buying stuff you dont need. Damn. I dont like apple, but if you do, (which is perfectly fine - if you still have judgement) just get the iphone 8. 

The 8 has a much smaller screen in about the same size body and with a worse camera. The screen ratio to many is worth the cost.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Snip

So any businesses that made less than Apple or Samsung meant they are unprofitable? Oh boy, by that definition, the entire economy would be unprofitable.

They made a profit and that is what matters. No matter how you downplayed it, they made a profit which invalidates what you said.

Overpriced phone is stupid, period.

If you are online, you are already sending your data to the corporate. Welcome to the internet.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

28 minutes ago, wasab said:

So any businesses that made less than Apple or Samsung meant they are unprofitable? Oh boy, by that definition, the entire economy would be unprofitable.

They made a profit and that is what matters. No matter how you downplayed it, they made a profit which invalidates what you said.

Overpriced phone is stupid, period.

If you are online, you are already sending your data to the corporate. Welcome to the internet.

Never once did I say that other companies aren't profitable, but rather they make such an insignificant amount (or are losing money) -- and that's entirely true. You're trying to argue how much a device is worth based on how much other companies that are barely getting by are asking for similar products, and that's beyond naive.

Just like I also wouldn't value a movie ticket at $0.33 just because moviepass exists and is available to everyone. Moviepass subsidizes ticket costs by selling your data and at the moment they're just burning through money hoping they survive long enough to profit enough from the data money to compensate for the cost of tickets).

And no, there's a very big difference between a company having access to things that are on my phone and things that I post online. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

snip

Losing money and profitable are oxymoron. I don’t see how you can say one plus is profitable and yet losing money.

You are consenting in sending your IP address whenever you are online. You are consenting to send google all your contacts info if you have backup on. You are consenting to share your email address or social media accounts if you registered for this forum. 

What is the difference?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 minutes ago, wasab said:

Losing money and profitable are oxymoron. I don’t see how you can say one plus is profitable and yet losing money.

You are consenting in sending your IP address whenever you are online. You are consenting to send google all your contacts info if you have backup on. You are consenting to share your email address or social media accounts if you registered for this forum. 

What is the difference?

I didn't say they were profitable and losing money. Try reading it again. Most companies are either losing money or making an insignificantly small amount. Samsung and Apple are the two main exceptions. You shouldn't use a company that's barely getting by as the baseline for anything.

Yes, in those cases you are CONSENTING to send that specific information. You're not consenting to everything nor are you sending everything.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, wasab said:

What is the difference?

And, like your ISP the phone carrier knows what you're sending anyway. People are so paranoid about some messages,I dunno maybe stop sending nudes?

I could care less about the company profits, i'm buying a phone that is more feature rich than a phone with a notched screen that most people still buy because of the brand.

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I didn't say they were profitable and losing money. Try reading it again. Most companies are either losing money or making an insignificantly small amount. Samsung and Apple are the two main exceptions. You shouldn't use a company that's barely getting by as the baseline for anything.

Yes, in those cases you are CONSENTING to send that specific information. You're not consenting to everything nor are you sending everything.

One plus isn’t cloning your entire disk and sending it all to the communist Chinese government lol. Arent you overly paranoid? It is normal user usage data they collect which to be frank, I am pretty sure both Apple and Samsung are doing the same behind your backs. Microsoft is defiantly doing it on windows...

oneolus is about selling top end for less so of course profit margin will be smaller but not insignificantly small, unless you want to prove it to me by digging up their corporate financial data.

it is greediness that a company should charge 2x more so they earn more profits. They are obviously beholden to the shareholder rather than the customer.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 minutes ago, wasab said:

One plus isn’t cloning your entire disk and sending it all to the communist Chinese government lol. Arent you overly paranoid? It is normal user usage data they collect which to be frank, I am pretty sure both Apple and Samsung are doing the same behind your backs. Microsoft is defiantly doing it on windows...

oneolus us is about selling top end for less so of course profit margin will be smaller but not insignificantly small, unless you want to prove it to me by digging up their coprrate financial data.

it is greediness that a company should charge 2x more so they earn more profits. They are obviously beholden to the shareholder rather than the customer.

It's cute that you think One Plus is selling phones with such small margins to be nice. They're doing it because the ONLY reason to buy their phones is because they're cheap. It's even more naive to think that a 200% markup is out of the ordinary in the real world.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

It's cute that you think One Plus is selling phones with such small margins to be nice. They're doing it because the ONLY reason to buy their phones is because they're cheap. It's even more naive to think that a 200% markup is out of the ordinary in the real world.

i know that flaship phones did not used to cost $1000+ before apple and Samsung started doing it. it is cute that you think it is perfectly acceptable for apple and samsung to charge the same price as a high end gaming desktop for a mere phone  

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 minutes ago, wasab said:

same price as a high end gaming desktop for a mere phone  

Ahaha xD