iPhone X grabs 35% of industry profits in Q4 2017

1 minute ago, wasab said:

I see top handset has inferior storage, ram, and battery. What corners are being cut again? 

Try looking at the component level in addition to build quality in general. 

Also you can’t forget customer support. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Try looking at the component level in addition to build quality in general. 

Also you can’t forget customer support. 

That is Apple logo+expensive= automatically higher quality logic. 

Performance test has show oneplus edge out the iPhone X in real life usuage. 

Sorry, but top end handsets are overpriced.

customer supports has nothing to do with the products

Sudo make me a sandwich 

7 minutes ago, wasab said:

Okay, give me some qualities that $1000+ have over the $500 ones that justified 2x the pricing. Let me know what corners are being cut.

Start with the actual fit and finish of the device. One OnePlus device might seem flawless, the next can resemble a factory reject from the low end Lumia line, that's been smashed against the wall.

Having seen and used the major offerings first hand, they're pretty fucking awful. The UI scaling makes the 1080p screen look like someone stretched a Galaxy S1 screen out.

Call quality varied from just below average, to awful for a 2014 budget phone. The stock ROM is pretty damn buggy. Camera sucks. The "Corning Gorilla Glass" screens are pretty easy to scratch.

Their phones are only good buys on paper. The real thing has me seriously believing that they're lying about the camera sensors, what RAM they actually use, and what storage they actually use.

2 minutes ago, wasab said:

Performance test has show oneplus edge out the iPhone X in real life usuage. 

I'm calling bullshit on that. Real life usage, no Android phone is going to beat out the iPhone 7s, much less the 8 or X, when it comes to performance.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

19 minutes ago, wasab said:

Okay, give me some qualities that $1000+ have over the $500 ones that justified 2x the pricing. Let me know what corners are being cut.

Apple and Samsung both use a better display, better cameras, are water resistant, have wireless charging, support for HD Netflix/Google Play videos (whoops), support for more networks (like Verizon/Sprint), and better support. And that's just what comes to mind off the top of my head. 

12 minutes ago, wasab said:

I see top handset has inferior storage, ram, and battery. What corners are being cut again? 

Ah yes, I forgot how a smartphone needs 6gb of ram, or how you can even compare ram between different operating systems. It also comes with the same 64gb of (slower) NAND, and battery life is only slightly better than the s9/x.

customer supports has nothing to do with the products

Customer support absolutely is a massive factor when buying any product...

Sorry, but top end handsets are overpriced.

Flagships (of all product categories) always have been and always will carry a price premium compared to the next lowest offering. There's nothing new there. But there's a difference between carrying a flagship premium and being overpriced, and it's absolutely not a fair comparison to make to compare it to something that's in an entirely different class and that's only so much cheaper because they need to curry favor in order gain marketshare. 

Again, with moviepass, movies only cost $0.33, but they're certainly worth a lot more than $0.33, and no theater charging more is overpricing their tickets.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Start with the actual fit and finish of the device. One OnePlus device might seem flawless, the next can resemble a factory reject from the low end Lumia line, that's been smashed against the wall.

Having seen and used the major offerings first hand, they're pretty fucking awful. The UI scaling makes the 1080p screen look like someone stretched a Galaxy S1 screen out.

Call quality varied from just below average, to awful for a 2014 budget phone. The stock ROM is pretty damn buggy. Camera sucks. The "Corning Gorilla Glass" screens are pretty easy to scratch.

Their phones are only good buys on paper. The real thing has me seriously believing that they're lying about the camera sensors, what RAM they actually use, and what storage they actually use.

I'm calling bullshit on that. Real life usage, no Android phone is going to beat out the iPhone 7s, much less the 8 or X, when it comes to performance.

Funny, I have an iPhone X and I say same thing about the device. Is what you said personal preference or is it actually objective comparison?

funny fact, iOS 11 back button disappear on me in the setting page one time when I used the settings app.

2nd, watch some YouTube vs reviews of the devices.

third, these are cutting corners and yet lesser ram, resolution, and inferior storage aren’t? I failed to see your logic. 

Edited by wasab
Spelling mistakes

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Apple and Samsung both use a better display, better cameras, are water resistant, have wireless charging, support for HD Netflix/Google Play videos (whoops), support for more networks (like Verizon/Sprint), and better support. And that's just what comes to mind off the top of my head. 

Ah yes, I forgot how a smartphone needs 6gb of ram, or how you can even compare ram between different operating systems. It also comes with the same 64gb of (slower) NAND, and battery life is only slightly better than the s9/x.

Customer support absolutely is a massive factor when buying any product...

Flagships (of all product categories) always have been and always will carry a price premium compared to the next lowest offering. There's nothing new there. But there's a difference between carrying a flagship premium and being overpriced, and it's absolutely not a fair comparison to make to compare it to something that's in an entirely different class.

All I know is that I prefer higher storage and sharper resolution than iPhone 8’s 720p. Hahaha

Sudo make me a sandwich 

All I know is that I prefer higher storage and sharper resolution than iPhone 8’s 720p. Hahaha

I thought we were comparing to the iPhone X (2436x1125) or the S9 (2960x1440)....Now it's the 8, okay.

Good thing the OP 5t is a whopping 1080p. Regardless, the vast majority of people can't differentiate higher pixel densities at a normal viewing distance.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I forgot how a smartphone needs 6gb of ram

"Multitasking" (AKA never closing apps ever), some newer games, and some variants of Android are just that shitty.

Is what you said personal preference or is it actually objective comparison?

Objective comparison. I hate iOS as much as I hate OnePlus' garbage.

3 minutes ago, wasab said:

watch some YouTube vs reviews of the devices.

Why? Those reviews are done in a short scope, with little to no thought actually put into most of them, and about all of them either tend to be wrong, or be little more than reading off a spec sheet.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I thought we were comparing to the iPhone X (2436x1125) or the S9 (2960x1440)....Now it's the 8, okay.

Good thing the OP 5t is a whopping 1080p. Regardless, the vast majority of people can't differentiate higher pixel densities at a normal viewing distance.

Any handsets higher priced than oneplus is valid comparison.

i am not gonna turn this into which product is better than which flame war but I am gonna adamantly say $1000+ price tag is down right greedy and ridiculous.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, wasab said:

Any handsets higher priced than oneplus is valid comparison.

i am not gonna turn this into which product is better than which flame war but I am gonna adamantly say $1000+ price tag is down right greedy and ridiculous.

The 5T is also quite overpriced compared to the $200-$250~ Moto G5 Plus, Honor 7X, or LG Q6 by the same logic.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 4/17/2018 at 8:41 PM, DoctorWho1975 said:

So I'm guessing in about 3 years crApple's top device is going to 1500? Because people keep buying the damned things no matter what (not like there is no competition for high end smartphones) they are only going to keep raising the price.

It baffles my mind why people do what they do in terms of mobile phone purchases. A high bet would be they dont even use the greater majority of the power the mobile actually has. So it boils down to plain and simple consumerism, its the look at me syndrome, look at me and my thousand dollar phone, while they are walking and staring into their mobile phone and come across a dude like me who doesnt bother to move out of their way, in fact I tend to make it a point to walk into them. Sometimes its funny a.f. as they get scared to shit once they realize whats about to happen.

I took a look at the new apple iphone, and honestly I really dont see what the big fuss is about. To me its just a regular phone.

Does it dial out, Yes!

Does it text, Yes!

Calender, Calculator, Google Maps, Transit App, Alarm, Banking Apps, Yes!

Ok here is $25 for a used mobile, TYVM!

Another angle I guess one could argue, is the fact that they bundle the phone in with your plan. So you have a $40/m plan and to get that new fancy dancy special iPhone X all you need to do is pay (on signed contract) an extra $25/m for decades! Like those who lease vehicles because they want new.

Either way it makes sense.

Iphone X Marketing

The most durable glass ever in a smartphone, front and back. Surgical‑grade stainless steel. Wireless charging. Water and dust resistance.2

A tiny space houses some of the most sophisticated technology we’ve ever developed, including the cameras and sensors that enable Face ID.

The facial id scares me, will they sell that info, we all know Google would and Facebook would.

6 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

It baffles my mind why people do what they do in terms of mobile phone purchases. A high bet would be they dont even use the greater majority of the power the mobile actually has. So it boils down to plain and simple consumerism,

I took a look at the new apple iphone, and honestly I really dont see what the big fuss is about. To me its just a regular phone.

The facial id scares me, will they sell that info, we all know Google would and Facebook would.

I personally don't use most of the computing power, but I like having a top tier camera and an excellent display. I chose to upgrade to the X because it was far more comfortable to use than my 6s Plus due to its physical size -- but if it still had the same size bezels then I would have continued to use my 6s Plus until there was some impactful change to warrant spending the money.

Honestly, there is nothing crazy about the X -- or any flagship phones for the past few years. It's pretty much just been incremental updates that may or may not warrant the upgrade cost depending on the person and their preferences/needs.

Of all companies, Apple would be the least likely to sell your facial data (if they even had access to it, which they don't -- it's all stored locally (excluding the pictures you upload to facebook, instagram, snapchat, icloud, etc...)).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

top tier camera and an excellent display.

far more comfortable to use than my 6s Plus due to its physical size --

Of all companies, Apple would be the least likely to sell your facial data (if they even had access to it, which they don't -- it's all stored locally (excluding the pictures you upload to facebook, instagram, snapchat, icloud, etc...)).

Yeah I agree with that, Apple is strict even when the feds wanted to open that iphone and they went to court. Great PR scheme they did there.

That was another angle, the camera quality, no one has a separate camera unless you are a pro or hobbist using a Nikon.

I laugh at how big the phones can be, they are just too large IMO, how does it fit in my shirt pocket or my Levi's pocket. Thats why I like my the smaller phones. Still people out there using a flip phone, look at Jay Leno on Comedians Coffee with Seinfield, flip phone.

Just now, Canada EH said:

Yeah I agree with that, Apple is strict even when the feds wanted to open that iphone and they went to court. Great PR scheme they did there.

That was another angle, the camera quality, no one has a separate camera unless you are a pro or hobbist using a Nikon.

I laugh at how big the phones can be, they are just too large IMO, how does it fit in my shirt pocket or my Levi's pocket. Thats why I like my the smaller phones. Still people out there using a flip phone, look at Jay Leno on Comedians Coffee with Seinfield, flip phone.

The camera still matters -- even as a hobbyist. I have a D7000 with a few lenses myself, but the reality is that my phone is always on me, my camera is not. 

You can get used to a bigger phone, I personally benefited from the extra space and I have bigger hands, so it worked out. But it was discomfort that you just get used to, I went back to my 6s plus after a day of using the X and I remembered just how uncomfortable it was to use such a physically large phone. Since I don't watch videos and mostly use my phone for internet, the 21:9 aspect ratio of the X works out just as well as the traditional 16:9 ratio while offering me a much more comfortable experience.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I know the D7000 is Nikon.

There are add-on lenses for cell phone camera.

And yes people always have their cell phones on them, so when the shit hits the fan, they just press record or snap a picture.

Not like bringing your Nikon with you everywhere you go, unless you are on vacation is say Italy or anywhere.

What is the MegaPixel of Apple iPhone X ?

6 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I know the D7000 is Nikon.

There are add-on lenses for cell phone camera.

And yes people always have their cell phones on them, so when the shit hits the fan, they just press record or snap a picture.

Not like bringing your Nikon with you everywhere you go, unless you are on vacation is say Italy or anywhere.

What is the MegaPixel of Apple iPhone X ?

12 MP

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, wasab said:

How can you blame people for Apple bashing when every new phone release means huge line of people camping outside an Apple store lol

What I choose to do with my time and money is my own business. Does your android phone run any slower when people queue up in line for iPhones? 

Like I said, I have no issues with how other people choose to spend their money in this regard, and so it tickles me to no end how so many other people can have an issue with how I choose to spend my money when it doesn’t even impact them in any way. 

13 minutes ago, abazigal said:

What I choose to do with my time and money is my own business. Does your android phone run any slower when people queue up in line for iPhones? 

Like I said, I have no issues with how other people choose to spend their money in this regard, and so it tickles me to no end how so many other people can have an issue with how I choose to spend my money when it doesn’t even impact them in any way. 

I laugh not how you spent your money but the fact people would line up and sleep outside an Apple store whenever a new handset is released

Sudo make me a sandwich 

53 minutes ago, wasab said:

I laugh not how you spent your money but the fact people would line up and sleep outside an Apple store whenever a new handset is released

The fox who couldn’t get the grapes too claimed they were sour. 

24 minutes ago, abazigal said:

The fox who couldn’t get the grapes too claimed they were sour. 

You might want a different methaphor lol. 

Oh, i just got an essential phone from best buy today to replace my iphone x because I am seriously fed up with teh limitations of the iOS operating system.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed.png

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Essential phone, $400 bucks. I really have no idea why apple flagships can't be priced like this. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by wasab
Leaving out personal info

Sudo make me a sandwich 

14 minutes ago, wasab said:

I am seriously fed up with teh limitations of the iOS operating system.

*And nobody cared*

Probably a few dozen iPhone Xs were sold just now as you are reading this. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

14 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

ftfy

Must be hard having dyslexia =/

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

*And nobody cared*

Probably a few dozen iPhone Xs were sold just now as you are reading this. 

i dont think you will but it still gives me great satisfaction to tell you i am ditching my iphone x 9_9  

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 minutes ago, wasab said:

i dont think you will but it still gives me great satisfaction to tell you i am ditching my iphone x 9_9  

Do I care? You’re the one who lost time in the end. 

Apple is just going to get that iPhone X, take it apart, and put it together as a refurb and will sell it again. 

I’ve never had any issues with iOS being limited in any use case, but hopfully whatever voodoo magic you do on your phone can be done with that new clunker you got there :)