Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 VS Cooler Master Master AirMaker 8

Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,
2 minutes ago, DudeWazap said:

The 212 EVO is cooling it find but I want to turn down all her fans to the lowest possible and have an overkill air cooler to keep the temps down and not have to worry about noise.

I do agree it is a a bit over kill but, its for my mom and price isn't an issue for stuff I buy for her. I put my old DCUII 780 in there just because. haha

Dark Rock Pro 4 would probably be around the best then. Still I feel like it'd be overkill though... Something like a Dark Rock 3 probably wouldn't even be audible. Hell, at that rate you might even want to look into passive air coolers, assuming there's decent air flow in the case itself.

I'm going to upgrade my moms air cooler from the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO she has now cooling her i5-4460.

I'm going for best air cooling performance but at the same time being as quiet as possible.

Which one of these 2 coolers would cool the best while staying the quietest?

I don't want to put a liquid cooler on it because I don't want to worry about leaks or the pump dying on her.

Cooler Master uses vapor chambers so I thought it would cool better but its hard to find videos of the Dark Rock 3 or 4 being compared to the air Maker 8.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

The CM is eh IIRC. Dark Rock Pro 4 would be much better.

That does sound a bit overkill for a 4460 though... Is the 212 evo not quiet enough? I honestly think that a $50-$60 cooler would already be near silent for a stock 4460.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

The CM is eh IIRC. Dark Rock Pro 4 would be much better.

That does sound a bit overkill for a 4460 though... Is the 212 evo not quiet enough? I honestly think that a $50-$60 cooler would already be near silent for a stock 4460.

The 212 EVO is cooling it find but I want to turn down all her fans to the lowest possible and have an overkill air cooler to keep the temps down and not have to worry about noise.

I do agree it is a a bit over kill but, its for my mom and price isn't an issue for stuff I buy for her. I put my old DCUII 780 in there just because. haha

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

It's easier to find Dark Rock 3 benchmarks, since it's been out for a while.

Here's both of them compared: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7522/cooler-master-masterair-maker-8-cpu-review/index6.html

Note that the temperature results are very close with the cooler master edging out, but the be quiet produces a little less noise when the fans spin up.

Now all reviews of the new Dark Rock 4 say it performs better than the previous version, so I'd say that one is probably the better one right now. Pretty overkill for an i5 though.....

Does you mum know you're here?

Dark Rock Pro 4 would probably be around the best then. Still I feel like it'd be overkill though... Something like a Dark Rock 3 probably wouldn't even be audible. Hell, at that rate you might even want to look into passive air coolers, assuming there's decent air flow in the case itself.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Also: Noctua NH-D15 is still the king though.

Does you mum know you're here?

5 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

It's easier to find Dark Rock 3 benchmarks, since it's been out for a while.

Here's both of them compared: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7522/cooler-master-masterair-maker-8-cpu-review/index6.html

Note that the temperature results are very close with the cooler master edging out, but the be quiet produces a little less noise when the fans spin up.

Now all reviews of the new Dark Rock 4 say it performs better than the previous version, so I'd say that one is probably the better one right now. Pretty overkill for an i5 though.....

Thank you!

And yes it is overkill but I want to have it so when i upgrade her rig later 9th or 10th gen CPU.

All the stuff I get for my mom is overkill because she my mom bro. haha

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

It is a Define R5 tempered glass clase with 5 PWM fans all running very low RPM (can't remember the number rightnow) and a GTX 780 DCUII

1 minute ago, VVoltor said:

Also: Noctua NH-D15 is still the king though.

Yeah i figured but the cooler is so ugly though. and I have her build all red with black.

Spoiler

-

3 hours ago, DudeWazap said:

The 212 Evo is already overkill. 

Just replace the fan: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zzQypg/antec-case-fan-truequiet120

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The 212 Evo is already overkill. 

Just replace the fan: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zzQypg/antec-case-fan-truequiet120

I have 2 Corsair SP120s on it rightnow in push pull.

how is a $20 cooler overkill for it?

Spoiler

-

1 minute ago, DudeWazap said:

I have 2 Corsair SP120s on it rightnow in push pull.

how is a $20 cooler overkill for it?

The cost of the cooler doesn't change how much cooling it provides. There are smaller coolers than the 212 Evo that would already be plenty for the 4460.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

38 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The cost of the cooler doesn't change how much cooling it provides. There are smaller coolers than the 212 Evo that would already be plenty for the 4460.

Thanks If i don't go with the Dark rock pro 4 I will just go with the regular Dark Rock 4.

The higher end you go with a cooler the lower it gets the temps so, I'm not sure what you're referring to there.

Spoiler

-

Thanks If i don't go with the Dark rock pro 4 I will just go with the regular Dark Rock 4.

The higher end you go with a cooler the lower it gets the temps so, I'm not sure what you're referring to there.

There are higher end coolers that cost less than lower end ones. Price isn't the determining factor in how overkill the cooling is.

When it comes to keeping noise low, there's little to no difference between the DR4, DRP4, and 212 Evo when using the same fan. Temps may vary but they'll be adequately low for all of them and have no effect on performance.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

There are higher end coolers that cost less than lower end ones. Price isn't the determining factor in how overkill the cooling is.

When it comes to keeping noise low, there's little difference between the DR4, DRP4, and 212 Evo using the same fan. Temps may vary but they'll be adequately low for all of them and have no effect on performance.

Oh okay i see what you mean now.

Well to till you the truth I mainly want to change out the cooler because I want to keep her temps a bit lower and the silent wings will also be quieter than the SP fans based on other videos I've seen. 

also the 212 EVO is a good value cooler but it doesn't fit the all black theme with some red accents that she currently has and the Dark Rock seemed like a good fit for this purpose.

the Master air Maker 8 seemed pretty pricey and Just wanted to know if their was a big difference or not. But, now I'm going to just order the Dark Rock 4.

I spent alot of time making her build look very clean and organized to help with air flow as well as stay a certain color theme. So that's why I stayed with those two cooler choices.

Spoiler

-

12 minutes ago, DudeWazap said:

I want to keep her temps a bit lower and the silent wings will also be quieter than the SP fans based on other videos I've seen. 

also the 212 EVO is a good value cooler but it doesn't fit the all black theme with some red accents

What are the current temps? With a 212 Evo, they should be very low with plenty of headroom already.

SW3's are much quieter than SP120's but so are TrueQuiets.

The top fin of the 212 Evo is easily masked off for painting. Example here:

If noise is your only issue, why not go passive? One huge heatsink and just case fans? My U14S has 2 fans and I can't hear it at idle. Both HDD and PSU make more noise. During load GPU makes more noise.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv