Possible bug in Windows (does this work for you?)

vanished

Steps to repeat:

1. Go into Settings > Personalization > Colours
  2. Click Custom Colour
  3. Click anywhere in the colour picker

Expected outcome:

• You pick a colour

Actual outcome:

• If the window is maximized, it works fine
  • If the window is in "windowed" mode, it will either instantly crash, or if it doesn't, moving the window slightly and then repeating step 3 will cause it to instantly crash

Can anyone else replicate this?  For me it is consistent and repeatable.

Edit: Please watch this to ensure you have read and understood the instructions properly before attempting to recreate this.  Failure to do so may avoid the issue:

Spoiler

012fcaa6a3.gif&key=d362b054a09afa17d5a02

gif courtesy of @2FA

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I can reproduce it.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

doesn't happen to me 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

I see Color options but none of this "Colour" you speak of

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

doesn't happen to me 

What version are you on?  I'm on 1709 16299.309

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I don't crash on build 16299.309 (1709)

However, there is a significant delay between color changes when windowed, they get longer each time I change to another color.

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

I see Color options but none of this "Colour" you speak of

You might need to fix your language settings

english-traditional-simplified.jpg

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

:P

I tried it on 16299.334 (1709) but couldn't get it to happen either

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

16299.309 1709 cannot reproduce...the error

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Interesting... so some people are getting this - enough to know it's not just a fluke with my system - but not everyone.  Very strange

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting... so some people are getting this - enough to know it's not just a fluke with my system - but not everyone.  Very strange

Tried seeing if it does it with custom colours too?

Just in-case the standard colours are being dicks.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

Tried seeing if it does it with custom colours too?

Just in-case the standard colours are being dicks.

I'm not sure what you mean... This is specifically and only about custom colours, so yes it does it with them :P

Capture.PNG.a3874c2b4b8591706104d3dfa89acfb7.PNG

This thing

maybe look in administrative tools > event viewer check logs for crash reports ...in win10 even has that anymore (or similar)?

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

maybe look in administrative tools > event viewer check logs for crash reports ...in win10 even has that anymore (or similar)?

I don't see anything in there about this

I'm on 16299.309 1709 for reference.

I wonder why it affects some and not others.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't see anything in there about this

I have this in Event Viewer

3110d09a73.png

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm not sure what you mean... This is specifically and only about custom colours, so yes it does it with them :P

This thing

Didn't read the custom colours bit originally.

Still doesn't happen tho.

Didn't read the custom colours bit originally.

Still doesn't happen tho.

I had a feeling that might have been the case... I wonder if anyone else read it wrong.

But no change, so that is still interesting. hm...

what gpu do you have? maybe it's specific to AMD.. (because i have nvidia and the same os build and for me it doesn't happen)

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

what gpu do you have? maybe it's specific to AMD.. (because i have nvidia and the same os build and for me it doesn't happen)

I have a GTX 1080 and can reproduce it.

5 hours ago, 2FA said:

I have a GTX 1080 and can reproduce it.

oh okay.. well i did say maybe.. but interesting.. 

oh wait, i don't have the 2018-03 cumulative update on this machine. i will  install it now, and then try it again. 

She/Her

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I had a feeling that might have been the case... I wonder if anyone else read it wrong.

But no change, so that is still interesting. hm...

Updated to 16299.334 still no crash

Some gifs:

Spoiler

Changing colour in windowed mode

https://i.gyazo.com/3ab6c4ce73ecccc1ca0b0b8ee48223e6.gif

Moving the window

https://i.gyazo.com/b2c1c5e3475b26cdd0fe8c7d9eb21b73.gif

That right?

Updated to 16299.334 still no crash

Some gifs:

Hide contents

Changing colour in windowed mode

https://i.gyazo.com/3ab6c4ce73ecccc1ca0b0b8ee48223e6.gif

Moving the window

https://i.gyazo.com/b2c1c5e3475b26cdd0fe8c7d9eb21b73.gif

That right?

you're confirming the change, I never said to do that :P pick a colour, move it, then pick again, no clicking any buttons.

31 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

english-traditional-simplified.jpg

Still salty about loosing the war ay? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Still salty about loosing the war ay? 

what? xD

just updated, and still the same. i can't reproduce it. 

She/Her