Server Conversion

Hello, I am new to the Linus Tech Tips forums but I have a question and would think this would be the best community to reach out to about this topic. I have recently bought a server, it is a HP ProLiant SE326M1 with two Xeon QC L5630's, I primarily use it for hosting and recently my mother was complaining about it's noise. I was wondering if some way I could inexpensively convert this into a workstation case form-factor instead of being in a 2U server case. Can anyone help me with this thank you..

the mobo form factor is the real decider here if its proprietary then prolly no without a lot of work and sawing, but if it fits go for it  

Just now, Jaxzzzzz said:

the mobo form factor is the real decider here if its proprietary then prolly no without a lot of work and sawing, but if it fits go for it  

True, do you think there is MOBO's that are dual socket lga 1366 and atx 

1 minute ago, Jaxzzzzz said:

Also the power supply or supplies. These are definitely not ATX form factor in servers. And getting ATX PSU might not help, as servers sometimes use proprietary connectors, especially in the older days.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

1 minute ago, ReeceBrutsman said:

im not sure really

Just now, Jaxzzzzz said:

im not sure really

1 minute ago, jj9987 said:

Also the power supply or supplies. These are definitely not ATX form factor in servers. And getting ATX PSU might not help, as servers sometimes use proprietary connectors, especially in the older days.

Do you think https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-X8DTE-Dual-Socket-1366-E-ATX-Motherboard-DDR3-SATA2/371837053067?hash=item569337288b:g:Ss8AAOSwax5Yxri9 this would work?

Maybe you could change the power profile so the speed of the fans lowers (and you will probably get a peformance drop). Also you could try updating all the firmware to the latest and greatest to see if maybe there was one that would bring fan speeds to more aceptable noise levels.

16 minutes ago, ReeceBrutsman said:

Hello, I am new to the Linus Tech Tips forums but I have a question and would think this would be the best community to reach out to about this topic. I have recently bought a server, it is a HP ProLiant SE326M1 with two Xeon QC L5630's, I primarily use it for hosting and recently my mother was complaining about it's noise. I was wondering if some way I could inexpensively convert this into a workstation case form-factor instead of being in a 2U server case. Can anyone help me with this thank you..

Have you considered just swapping the fans to more silent ones? Server-hardware usually use very noisy and inexpensive fans and run them at 100% speed at all times, but just swapping them out to e.g. Noctuas would most likely provide quite a substantial improvement.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, Jaxzzzzz said:

Yeah right.

Your answer is no. No good way at least. Servers are loud, hearing protection is pretty common in server rooms. It's time to start thinking about putting a 19" rack in your garage or basement instead of taking a hacksaw to that.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

Yeah I run my servers in the basement in their own room and powerline for networking. It's best for everyone.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Severs were never designed for being quiet. They are loud for a reason, that being airflow and especially rackmount ones generate a lot of heat (or are expected to with systems above and below them) 

Most of the fans I've ever run across in servers expect a certain level of airflow through them and putting the system in a larger case, just makes the fans spin that much faster.

There have been attempts to put resistors on the fans that are software controllable, but the BIOS has to be re-coded to accept this, and that's not a small undertaking.

Very little you can do with the system as is, other than gut it for parts to use on a "normal" motherboard, assuming you can find one that accepts the CPU form factors and (probably) ECC Registered RAM.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

18 hours ago, ReeceBrutsman said:

Intel S5520HC, they are reasonable cheap on ebay.

18 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Have you considered just swapping the fans to more silent ones? Server-hardware usually use very noisy and inexpensive fans and run them at 100% speed at all times, but just swapping them out to e.g. Noctuas would most likely provide quite a substantial improvement.

Server fans certainly are not cheap, they are usually Delta fans and have very high RPM, air flow and pressure. They are loud because they push A LOT of air, replacing them usually isn't a option either for rackmount servers as they are non standard fans, connectors and deeper than normal PC fans. Also being 2U server they won't be 120mm either, not even 80mm.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Intel S5520HC, they are reasonable cheap on ebay.

Thanks