12v car battery how long i can use

ubasan

Ive hooked up a small fan (160mm i think)in a new 12v car battery. Just want to ask how i can use it before the charge drains out. I still dont have any chargers so im thinking how long it will last.

Depends on the current draw of the fan and the capacity of the battery....

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Depends on the current draw of the fan and the capacity of the battery....

This is a new battery just bought yesterday. For the watts of the fan, no idea though. Just a simple small fan Hooked up on the batt

Depends on the battery. But generally a long time.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This is a new battery just bought yesterday. For the watts of the fan, no idea though. Just a simple small fan Hooked up on the batt

Well a new car battery can be anywhere from like 60 amps to over 100 amps, which is a huge difference. If you want an accurate answer you need to tell the capacity rating of the battery.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Won't the huge amount of current that a car battery outputs not just fry the fan motor and make the wires glow and burn away the insulation? They're only designed for currents you can measure in mA.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Won't the huge amount of current that a car battery outputs not just fry the fan motor and make the wires glow and burn away the insulation? They're only designed for currents you can measure in mA.

Not if you have a resistor. 

...why r u powering a fan with a car battery?

CPU: AMD 760k @4ghz | Motherboard: MSI fm2-a55-e33 | RAM: G. skill 4gb @1833 | GPU: AMD HD 7850 | Case: Nzxt 210 Tempest (with glass window mod) | Storage: Adata 128gb ssd | PSU: Raidmax rx-530ss | Display: 720p crap | Cooling: CoolerMaster sickleflow 120 green x4 | Keyboard: crap | Mouse: Razer diamondback | Sound: logitech 2.1 speakers | Operating System: Windows 7 Ult | Battle.net: Voldras #1712

...why r u powering a fan with a car battery?

Im using it for power outs and stuffs like that.

160mm fan ?, probably like a 5 days before the battery is out.

Is this non stop?

Im using it for power outs and stuffs like that.

theres probly something better than a car battery that you can use for that kind of stuff.

CPU: AMD 760k @4ghz | Motherboard: MSI fm2-a55-e33 | RAM: G. skill 4gb @1833 | GPU: AMD HD 7850 | Case: Nzxt 210 Tempest (with glass window mod) | Storage: Adata 128gb ssd | PSU: Raidmax rx-530ss | Display: 720p crap | Cooling: CoolerMaster sickleflow 120 green x4 | Keyboard: crap | Mouse: Razer diamondback | Sound: logitech 2.1 speakers | Operating System: Windows 7 Ult | Battle.net: Voldras #1712

An electrical circuit only takes the current it needs. High voltage can fry something, but if the voltage is within spec you won't have any problems. No resistor necesssary.

theres probly something better than a car battery that you can use for that kind of stuff.

Depends on the situation, batteries are expensive but the take a lot less maintenance than a generator.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Depends on the situation, batteries are expensive but the take a lot less maintenance than a generator.

ture dat

Is this non stop?

if the fan is a normal one then yes around that. might be more might be less since there is a differences between the manufactures

Check your battery, it should state a capacity in ampère-hours (Ah). Your fan should state a current draw on its motor hub (something like 0.02A usually). Is you take the capacity and divide it by the current draw, you get the hours your device will be able to run.

Keep in mind, though, that most car batteres need to be charged before use when they're bought new. The factory doesn't charge them fully afaik.

the avrage car battery is about 60 to 75 ah so and the most pawer hungry fan i know of draws 0,5 amps soo

75ah/0,5a=150h so 6 and a half days or more

it will only fry it if the voltage is higher than 12 volts an it isn´t so if the fan is rated 0.5 amps it's all the battery will output

PC specs.3570k, asus p8z77m pro, 8gb corsair vengence 1600MHz, XFX 550w, seagate barracuda 1TB, MSI 660ti, cooler master k350, cooler master hyper tx3 evo.

no it wont ... the fan only draws how much it needs ...

Not if you have a resistor.

even without a resistor the fan wont burn up as the fan presents the correct resistance already for operation with a 12v source

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Are you sure its 12v? normal car batteries run at 14 volts.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

if you dead short the battery that will happen. as long as you have something dissipating the energy then you are fine. For a fan, instead of turning the energy into heat you turn it into mechanical energy. Basic physics

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz