We Made an INVISIBLE VR Gaming Setup!

CPotter

Linus has too many superpowers at this point. He's kind of overpowered. A dropping things power? A small hands power? A Youtube power? Owns a whole Office/warehouse worth more than my life? The devs need to nerf linus.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

For anyone looking to do this at home (I might try this out once I move). You can buy something called a keystone adapter for USB3 that will allow you to properly mount in in an in-wall plate so you don't have to tuck tape one. Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Keystone-Extension-Angled-Connector-U324-001-KPA-BK/dp/B01IL06MW0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1522355447&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+keystone

The magic of suspended ceilings! Really cool implementation and an amazingly clean result.

Wish I could justify the space in the home for VR :(

Would it be worth mounting everything in a cabling tray above the ceiling?

Unsupported cables suck in suspended ceilings if there's a fire.

Also get rid of that ethernet coupler and and get that AP wall mounted! :P

I know how light those Ubiquiti APs are! 3M command strips work wonders on IT gear.

How many people have drop ceilings at home?

I have an HTC Vive.  The HTC Vive light stations use normal DC wall plugs for power an communicate Wirelessly.  I was kind of surprised that the Oculus uses USB.  Is there any specific reason that they would  do this?

Standing on the top or second to top step of a ladder is a violation in every work place safety guideline that I know of.  It also should be written on a ladder.  You should have an 8ft ladder available because Linus is short.  Also don't stand backwards on a ladder turn it around and place the ladder between you and your work.

I refuse to believe that a professional Electrician installed that outlet in the ceiling.   It's shoddy to feed the metal clad cable from the bottom like that and, the cable itself is not appropriately supported.  Also the box itself seems kind of wobbly.

Finally a Pro Tip:  I your trying to fish a cable through a wall with insulation.  Cut the end off of  an old tape measure and slide it in.  It will be flexible and thin enough to slide between the sheet rock and insulation like butter.

3 hours ago, CPotter said:

Thanks to Oculus for sponsoring this video! Check out the Oculus Rift Anniversary Sale at http://bit.ly/2uaGhpG 

Get your own Oculus Rift 3 Sensor Setup: http://bit.ly/2uaGhpG 

Buy an Oculus Rift
On Amazon: http://geni.us/lGAN7FV 
On Newegg: http://geni.us/YN0Bz8B

I have an Occulus Rift three sensor setup. I have them mounted on the ceiling and all sensor cables hidden with cable channels. 

I have to say it looks like a good setup but I have a few issues.

1. Without the mirror display mounted to a wall, I can see a VR accident with it falling and breaking.

2. The VR headset HDMI and usb 3 wall plug should have been up high, just below the false ceiling. Then use VR zip lines to keep all cables above head, allowing for more freedom of mobility in VR. This is what I did for my setup. Maybe this can happen for a revision? I'd also put a hook on the ceiling so you can leave the VR headset plugged in all the time, but put away up high hanging on a few hooks. :)

The ambient above a grid ceiling is quite a bit warmer than below it. You're not doing yourself any favors in the long term.

14 hours ago, rakshasa72 said:

How many people have drop ceilings at home?

I have an HTC Vive.  The HTC Vive light stations use normal DC wall plugs for power an communicate Wirelessly.  I was kind of surprised that the Oculus uses USB.  Is there any specific reason that they would  do this?

Few to none.

USB doesn't experience much intereference.

14 hours ago, rakshasa72 said:

Standing on the top or second to top step of a ladder is a violation in every work place safety guideline that I know of.  It also should be written on a ladder.  You should have an 8ft ladder available because Linus is short.  Also don't stand backwards on a ladder turn it around and place the ladder between you and your work.

That guideline is a joke. One can safely stand on that rung, provided they're not outright stupid.

Standing backwards isn't a big deal either, if you've got a half decent sense of balance.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen this on Youtube and made me join the forum and post!!

@CPotter

Classic!! :D

On 3/29/2018 at 1:17 PM, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Can you tell the guy in black to look less angry please

Linus needs to bring in some acting coaches, get the on air talent up to snuff

• 2 years later...

One question does anyone remember the PC that Linus used in this video